68 2-Door Restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
KCMO_68

Re: 68 2-Door Restomod

Post by KCMO_68 »

Ok... back on track. So once everything was cleaned up it was time to put the suspension back in the car for the last time so it could sit on the ground.

Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Nice. Very nice!

I feel ya on the cheap 510 comment. I bought mine with the same sort of though process and as soon as I changed/upgraded one part the entire restoration was on.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

Colbino wrote:Nice. Very nice!

I feel ya on the cheap 510 comment. I bought mine with the same sort of though process and as soon as I changed/upgraded one part the entire restoration was on.
Thanks! Also I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who fell into the trap of having everything get cleaned and fixed as the build went on.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

Once the car was back on the ground there was a lot of little things done. Headlights went in. Taillights went in. Rear rubber on the trunk went in. Surge tank mocked up. Door puts together. Door handles went in on outside. All new matching locks put into the car.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Awesome Build! What's up with the white Skyline from the first page of pics?? :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Hey moderators, I would pick this as a Featured Project, if I had the power you hold!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

two_68_510s wrote:Hey moderators, I would pick this as a Featured Project, if I had the power you hold!
Wow. Thanks for the praise! And from a 68 fan no less :D
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

So one of the important things to get done before we could get the engine back in the car was to run all the brake lines. Now the car came with a zip tied puzzle of brake lines that were not the most obvious of where they were intended to run. That and after taking all the care to bring this car back I wanted to ensure that the car could actually stop and that the brake lines were operating perfectly. So the decision was made to toss the brake lines and start from scratch. So brand new lines were bent. Added a Datsport brake booster and a Wilwood proportioning valve.

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Very nice work on the plumbing! I'm loving the condensed version of the build. Feels like things are moving quickly, although it's unclear to me what the timespan actually was. Carry on! 8)
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

greenthumb wrote:Very nice work on the plumbing! I'm loving the condensed version of the build. Feels like things are moving quickly, although it's unclear to me what the timespan actually was. Carry on! 8)
I really wish that the actual build process only took the time that it's taken me to post the photos :lol:

This project so far has taken about 3.5 years. Probably going to be almost 4 years before it's actually complete and on the road. Once winter hits even if it's finished I'll probably hold off until spring to put it on the road. Avoid the salt as much as possible.

I'm really trying to self edit in posting things. I think I have over 1300 photos from the entire build process. But I figured that I should edit it down so that everyone gets the highlights and not a picture of every dent that was hammered out.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

One of the things with going with a completely custom motor is that it creates some other differences that you don't really think about. Carpet is one of those things. The original owner had actually hacked up the transmission shifter hole quite a bit. He had made the hole about 2X larger than it ever should have been. So when the motor was put in, the extra space was welded back shut so that it looked as factory as possible. When we laid over a stock 510 carpet template it was obvious that it wouldn't quite work. So a template that would work for my car was made and sent off to the interior shop.

KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

So earlier I shared photos of the custom header attached to the car. At that time the welding wasn't actually completely done. Just tacked together so that everything could be tested for fitment. Well before the engine could go back in the car (for the final time) the header would have to be finalized. I think the end product is pretty great and is probably one of my favorite parts of this build.

McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

That header is a work of art!
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

how did you find working with the copper alloy brake lines ? I contemplated running the clutch line along the top like you (looks much cleaner) but I was concerned gravity bleeding would no longer work with the line above the reservoir? what style carpet did you chose loop/cut, nylon/ rayon? are you going to run underlay ? glue in or snap in ? I found ford model T has very similar rings and snaps if your going that route. I like snap in two piece carpet as the front is easily removed for auto X.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

RMS wrote:how did you find working with the copper alloy brake lines ? I contemplated running the clutch line along the top like you (looks much cleaner) but I was concerned gravity bleeding would no longer work with the line above the reservoir? what style carpet did you chose loop/cut, nylon/ rayon? are you going to run underlay ? glue in or snap in ? I found ford model T has very similar rings and snaps if your going that route. I like snap in two piece carpet as the front is easily removed for auto X.
Does your local auto-x require the entire carpet to be out of the car? Locally here they just require no floor mats. I would presume that the carpet being left in would be fine, but now you have me wondering even for open track days. Didn't even think about this idea. Hmm...