JDM L18 motor

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Cookomnia

JDM L18 motor

Post by Cookomnia »

Hi
Posting for my first time but long time 510 fanatic. Hoping someone can give some idea of the current value
Of my L18. It was sourced from Japan in the mid seventies and has the A87 head. Originally set up by Bill's Datsun here in Portland it's a great engine and I have a friend interested in a trade but I have no idea what the current value might be. The former owner said it was a SSS engine but I do not know how to varify this claim any help appreciated.
Thanks so much.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: JDM L18 motor

Post by okayfine »

Typically you'd have a single-point distributor, dome-top SU carbs, and a peanut head. To verify the head you'd have to take it off, A87 came in a couple different configurations.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Cookomnia

Re: JDM L18 motor

Post by Cookomnia »

Thanks for the info. With the exception of the internal head ID the motor does have the single point distributor and did have the dome top SU's but now running a tweaked DGV that Bill modified.