They find me - 510 Wagon

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
qwik510
Supporter

They find me - 510 Wagon

Post by qwik510 »

This little Orphan found its way to me. Another local 510 guy got word of this car at a tow yard and put me in touch with them. I believe it was going to be crushed. I dragged it home last week.

The tires were pretty dry rotted and I had taken another set of good wheels and tires with me but since it was only 30 miles, I thought it would be ok. After about 10 miles, I heard some thwacking sound from the left rear. I thought I had a flat tire. Pulled over and checked and all looked good. The noise continued for a couple more miles so we pulled over again to check. Still nothing. Everything looked fine. Another few miles and I hear something hit the back window of my pickup truck. My buddy looks back and there is a chunk of tire tread on top the tool Box behind the window. He opens the sliding window and pulls the chunk in and shows it to me. We keep driving and the thwacking noise had stopped. So we figured maybe this chunk of tread was picked up off the highway and got stuck in the dolly fender well. Stopped again to check and make sure everything was ok. All looked good. Got the car home and unloaded it. Put away the dolly and stuff and dug out the new wheels and tires. Jacked up the back to change the tires and what is sitting against the ground? a bald ass spot on the left rear tire. It was hidden and I didn't see it until it was up in the air.

Seems every time I stopped to check, the bad spot was on the bottom against the ground and looked fine. What's the chances of that happening like 4 times in a row?

I knocked some of the dirt and cobwebs off of it and bolted on a new set of wheels and tires I had laying around.

I am waiting on the title.

It's a one owner car but there is still a lien on it from way back when. It should be cleared up soon.

Once I get the title, I'll decide what the plans are for it. Not sure if I want to keep or move it on to a new owner. But I always say that. I want to keep them all.

Just saving it from the crusher is worth it for me.

I'll update more soon.

Oh and it had this cool manual that came with it. I have never seen this one before. Anybody seen this one?

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Re: They find me - 510 Wagon

Post by Byron510 »

Great Save David.

I'll assume those front fenders are fiberglass. Car looks pretty darn goods otherwise in the photos you have taken.
The tire failure is hilarious. When I was in Australia I borrowed a co-workers Landcruiser and had the same thing happen. We could heara noise when driving, but when we stopped we couldn't find anything wrong. The tire had to nearly fail in the manner that your did before the fault became obvious. In my case it was because the tires had been re-grooved by the owner in order to get more life out of them. Brought back memories of one of the hottest tire changes I've ever done, completed in the blazing sun in the northern Australian outback.

But that manual is cool, I've never seen this one either. I'd be interested. I'm sure you'll add this to your collection.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

nice wagon! nice save! good times ahead :)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron510 wrote:Great Save David.

I'll assume those front fenders are fiberglass. Car looks pretty darn goods otherwise in the photos you have taken.
The tire failure is hilarious. When I was in Australia I borrowed a co-workers Landcruiser and had the same thing happen. We could heara noise when driving, but when we stopped we couldn't find anything wrong. The tire had to nearly fail in the manner that your did before the fault became obvious. In my case it was because the tires had been re-grooved by the owner in order to get more life out of them. Brought back memories of one of the hottest tire changes I've ever done, completed in the blazing sun in the northern Australian outback.

But that manual is cool, I've never seen this one either. I'd be interested. I'm sure you'll add this to your collection.

Byron
Great save Dave and nice catch on the tire though at the end of the trip.

Fiberglass don't rust, as I see some rust in the bottom of the fender,,,,,,,,looks like rust anyway.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Byron510 wrote:Great Save David.

Byron
Pretty sure the fenders are metal.

I'll keep you in mind if I decide to part with the manual.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage