4 door fender rolling

ichorid
Supporter

4 door fender rolling

Post by ichorid »

Hey guys, looking for some new shoes and a little more drop on my 4 door. Is it viable at all to roll the rears on a 4 door? it seems like it would be really close to possibly damaging the way the doors close in the back. Just curious if any one on here has done it. (that may sound sounds really lame, Im sure some one has.) If you have or have some pictures that would help out in deciding. I love the way a light rolled 2 door looks.

Im also curious if removing the lip on the inside of the fender would make rolling it easier, or if I could unfold that to give the fenders a lower more flush flare, without to much roll.

thanks

-casey
4 door 72 510 -- gathering parts for KA-T project
zootowndime

Re: 4 door fender rolling

Post by zootowndime »

Actually from what i understand there isn't really a difference in the rear of a 4 door vs a 2 door. They are basically the same chassis, just minus the extra door.

If you can unfold the lip underneath there, that would be my suggestion, i think it looks really good when done that way. It requires a hell of a lot of work, and really should only be done if the car is going to be repainted. Other then that, the good old baseball bat technique will work for a little extra clearance, and a little more drop, but not a whole lot. If you really want to get the tires tucked up there, cutting out some of the wheel well, where it starts to arch down towards the outer fender, and weld in some new metal there. Look at dukes project, his car is lowered, w/ rolled fenders, and he has lots of good pics
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
ichorid
Supporter

Post by ichorid »

ah thanks for the tip. The car is going to get repainted and minor rust/body repair some time this year. I just need a few months of looking at colors to decide what I want to do. Id hate myself If I became unhappy with my color selection 4 months after the paint.
Dimelovr

Post by Dimelovr »

I will post some pics tomorrow afternoon. You cant really sit much lower than i have mine at the moment.
Dimelovr

Post by Dimelovr »

Here are a couple pics as requested. I wasnt sure exactly what u wanted for pics. btw...i know, its rusty!. lol. Sitting on 125/65/14's. Both front and rear had been rolled by prev owner.
Attachments
Rear Wheel2
Rear Wheel2
Rear wheel1
Rear wheel1
How the car sits at current.
How the car sits at current.
Derek

Post by Derek »

There actually is a difference between the 2 and 4 doors underneath -- there is an additional ledge caused by the door jamb after the fender lip that you can't just roll out of the way. You can gain clearance by rolling the fender lip, but anything past that (IE stretching/unfolding) will only result in the limiting factor being the door ledge.
ichorid
Supporter

Post by ichorid »

yeah, that's what I was curious about. If rolling the fender to achieve the "bubble" look was possible on the rear end of a 4 door. I started looking at the rear fold, and I think getting that unfolded and rolled properly will give me the look Im going for. The rear end is going to be slightly higher than the front, and with the unrolled lip should look like an even amount of drop between fender lips and the ground.

thanks guys.
oregondime

Post by oregondime »

the door ledge is definitely the problem, mine are severely rolled and you cant get pull just flare.. although the front is great for pulling, mine turned out great.
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Do u have pics of your roll & pulled fenders? :mrgreen:
oregondime

Post by oregondime »

ill get you some pics tomorrow after i go to knotts berry farm :) and theres a fender roller you can rent/buy that not only rolls but pulls it out if you like.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have the above mentioned roller.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

A guy over here is doing a similiar thing. I think he is finding it hard to panel beat bog though :lol:

No doubt he'll need to take a bit more out to get some suspension travel, unless camber does it job.
ichorid
Supporter

Post by ichorid »

oh sweet that lip is just what I was thinking for the rear. thanks for the pics. Ill have to have some fender rolling fun when I get the car back from its swap.
That4doorKiD

Post by That4doorKiD »

Any more pics like that one? Also started some fender pull on my rear
68 4doorFanatic
That4doorKiD

Post by That4doorKiD »

Pedro wrote:A guy over here is doing a similiar thing. I think he is finding it hard to panel beat bog though :lol:

No doubt he'll need to take a bit more out to get some suspension travel, unless camber does it job.
Looks like he removed the first lip and rolled it out
68 4doorFanatic