Problems with my heater cables

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Button

Problems with my heater cables

Post by Button »

It's been along time since I have posted but I am back at working on my 510.

Does anyone know if they make replacement control cables that operate the heater doors and valves? I completely rebuilt my heater about 6 months ago and when i first pulled it out the cables wouldn't move. I sprayed in some lubricant that is meant to lube motorcycle brake cables/etc. and after letting that sit for a few days, a few resprays and some working the cable I was able to get them to work fairly smoothly.

Cut to 6 months later and the cable that should open the floor vent will not budge. If they don't make replacements does anyone have an alternate cables that will work or any ideas on to get them to work again where they wont to be serviced regularly?

thanks in advance.

Chris

Here is the cable I am referring to:
Attachments
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG (117.97 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG (75.46 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Problems with my heater cables

Post by okayfine »

I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacements. That said, there isn't really much to the cables but a housing and the inner wire. The inner wire is solid (not braided like bike cable), however, so it will have a lot of trouble actuating through that 90° bend shown in your second picture.

I'd remove your cables and straighten them, then test the push/pull before installation. Likely you can rehabilitate what you have. If not, I'd imagine your housings are going to be able to be reused, so you'd just need to find the right size solid wire and make your own bends.

Could also use bicycle cable and housing. Shift cable is much thicker than the 510 heater control solid wire, but with the right ends it would be pretty easy to substitute.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

As Okayfine mentions, straighten the cable and make the bends as free flowing as possible (nice gentle long bends). I have found that it's a good idea to also check the mechanics for opreation and lube them too. The door, heater valve and the control levers should move very easy without the cables connected.
Button

Post by Button »

Thank you for the input guys. Sorry for the bad photo, the actual cable is hard to see in the background and I am just pulling the electrical wires out of the way in the foreground. The actual cable does a pretty smooth bend down. I will pull the cable and try to get it straightened and working again and check the action on the switch and door.

Should I lube the cable, and if so any recommendations on what to use? If I shouldn't lube it any ideas on what I can get in the cable to clean it out? Acetone?

Thanks.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The cables shouldn't need lube, really. Fairly sure the OE parts are just housing and solid cable, and the housing didn't have any fancy teflon coating inside.

Easiest check is to remove the cables, then see where the stiffness is (cable, HVAC controls, heater door/valve) and go from there.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Button

Post by Button »

Thanks Julian, you sold Whitebird correct? Do you have another project going?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lots of (smaller) projects, but not a mechanical project. Been building aluminum purses and an Interview Box Of Many Things for my wife, treadplate lunchbox for me, wedding cake stand, stuff like that. Wrote a book about the 3-Wheeler project.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Button wrote: Should I lube the cable, and if so any recommendations on what to use? If I shouldn't lube it any ideas on what I can get in the cable to clean it out? Acetone?

Thanks.

Graphite!!! oil or grease will just collect crap and eventually make it stiff and is a PITA to clean. Use a new bicycle cable housing and the original solid wire just make sure to straighten the wire as much as possible and make sure you get the correct ID housing. It's what I did with mine year ago and today some 20+ year later still smooth like butter,,,,,slightly frozen DOH!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Button

Post by Button »

Those projects sounds pretty cool Julian, it's fun making other things using the skills we require along the way. I recently started making a metal art lamp that I am hoping to get back to soon.

Three B's racing thank you so much for the info. That is a great idea replacing the jacket and the graphite makes a lot of sense. I ended up pulling the cable and was able to get some carb cleaner down in there which seemed to free it up somewhat but I don't hold much hope that it will stay working somewhat smoothly.

Time to take a trip to the bike shop.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Button wrote:Those projects sounds pretty cool Julian, it's fun making other things using the skills we require along the way. I recently started making a metal art lamp that I am hoping to get back to soon.

Three B's racing thank you so much for the info. That is a great idea replacing the jacket and the graphite makes a lot of sense. I ended up pulling the cable and was able to get some carb cleaner down in there which seemed to free it up somewhat but I don't hold much hope that it will stay working somewhat smoothly.

Time to take a trip to the bike shop.

or even the motorcycle shop..
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Button

Post by Button »

I pulled the cable out tonight and realized it has the metal loops on each end of the wire. Any thoughts about how to get that loop back in the wire after you straighten it to replace the cable sheathing? Maybe wrap it around a small screwdriver shaft? I am assuming it will spring back so I may need to wind around something with a smaller diameter than the original?
Button

Post by Button »

So I pulled the wire out of the old housing, straightened it as best I could, and put it a new bike cable housing, with a dash of some graphite lube. It's definitely smoother than it used to be, let's hope it stays that way. Thank you for your help guys now on to the other 999,999 things I need to do on the car.

Chris
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Only 999,999 thing left to do? Lucky!!! 8>)
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's right..One thing you never say is...FINISHED!

I have been working on my 510 for 38 years now.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

There is always room for improvement/refinement to make it that little bit better. I get asked all the time when I think I will be done with it and the answer is always the same.......never.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?