I'm back! 71 510 4 door with 16,900 miles

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
five&dime

I'm back! 71 510 4 door with 16,900 miles

Post by five&dime »

I sold my old 510 a little over 6 years ago. I have bought, sold and built a whole lot of cars since then! But I just sold my major project on bringatrailer and decided it was time to get into another dime.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

I had the chance to buy my old one back but my wife wasn't too happy since we have 2 kids. I also had the chance to buy my friends amazing SR 4 door but it needed to be finished and I have built too many project cars lately. I know the family is ready for a break. I also don't 2 ridiculously fast cars at the same time.

So I found the 4 door on here and contacted the owner. He wanted a performance car so I put him into the SR car and got his original car. We have named the car, Sweet Pea.

I only intend to lower it and add some wheels. Might build an L20. But anything I do will have the ability to return to stock. I will keep all the old suspension, wheels etc. I will even keep the original tires that came on the car.

The front fenders were painted at some time in the past and have started to rust so I will have that fixed. The rear driver side door break assist with the spring came unpinned from the door sometime in the past and the rear door must have been opened hard as there is a pretty nasty outward dent. I will have my PDR guy look at it. He thinks he can get it back to 75% or better. I will keep that door locked from the inside until I have that fixed. The rear driver rocker where it goes to the fender arch was painted and is a poor match so I will have my paint guy look at that too. I really want the car to look perfect so might have to sacrifice some original paint for blending. My body/paint guy specializes in Porsche and Alfa restorations so the work will look like factory.

I haven't given up on performance though as I also recently bought a 2001 BMW 740 M sport in the rarest color, white. Original owner with 38k original miles. Putting a freshly built S62 M5 motor in it with a 6 speed, M5 diff, ESS supercharger, has Brembo GT BBK up front, 19" Apex wheels and I am having all the tan interior dyed caramel. Paying friends to do all the work instead of doing it myself so it should be done by Christmas.

Lastly, I am posting some photos of my daily driver. 95 Nissan Hardbody that I bought with 65k miles. Did an 87 front end conversion. Lately I am all about buying stock, low mileage cars.

My old car

And the new one.

My BMW

And my Nissan truck.

Last edited by five&dime on 12 Oct 2016 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
qwik510
Supporter

Re: I'm back! 71 510 4 door with 16,900 miles

Post by qwik510 »

Nice, nice and nice!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Congrats. New car have a name? I admit, I'd be afraid to own that minter. I'd do naughty things to it.

For wheels, what about a set of widened steelies and use the stock caps? I always wanted to do that, but couldn't find rims to suit and didn't want to spend as much on a custom set of steelies as I would on a set of nice Wats or something.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I was looking for some steelies online :)

We named her sweet pea
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Put about 50 miles on it yesterday. It drives amazing. The suspension feels so smooth! Brakes take getting used to.

I just got it insured with Hagerty as well :)
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I told ya ;) great little car. I'm glad it's in excellent hands. I put about 80 on the SR today, smiles for every mile.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Thats in mint shape ! You know Im first on the list when you sell it :)
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I'm guessing that thing will be one of the more valuable stockers in existence before he's ready to sell, you might not be able to afford it!
Robb

Post by Robb »

DonnieDatsun wrote:I'm guessing that thing will be one of the more valuable stockers in existence before he's ready to sell, you might not be able to afford it!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Datsun-Other-510 ... rmvSB=true
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Yea, yea, I'm aware of that auction. Just the same... the one that went for 32k on BaT went for 18k on ebay shortly prior. The pics for that listing are poor, it's in Canada not USA, and after Brandon gets done refreshing a few things, I think it'll be hard to argue that his isn't in at least equivalent shape. Maybe better. That car looks good, but pictures never tell you quite what you'd see in person, small things don't show up.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Oh, and he's not selling any time soon. Value curve is on a steep rise.
Robb

Post by Robb »

Someone must be sick in the head to pay $32k for a 510.. I dont care how low the mileage or condition !
Once baby boomers die off, prices will plummett ! So will house prices ! The majority of wealth is with baby boomers.
Millenials have nada ! :lol:
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Perhaps that will be true. Perhaps not. Market forces aren't subject to logic, they're subject to the illogical desires of people, and people know 510s like this are rarer than diamonds today.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Robb wrote:Someone must be sick in the head to pay $32k for a 510.. I dont care how low the mileage or condition !
Once baby boomers die off, prices will plummett ! So will house prices ! The majority of wealth is with baby boomers.
Millenials have nada ! :lol:
Agree to disagree. First of all, millenials love classic Datsuns/Nissans. VWVortex guys are loving this car. Most are millenials. And many millenials will inherit the money from the baby boomers. There are also plenty of millenials with good jobs who will be able to afford cars like these. There are always people out there with money who will pay a high price for a rare vehicle. It's all about supply and demand.... I think you are trying to convince yourself that these cars will be cheaper for you to buy in the future :D

I agree that the Canada car should have presented the ad with much better photos. And I feel the largest market for the car is in the US so they should have just listed it from the states. I was absolutely planning on buying that one if Josh and I couldn't come to terms on our deal.

I drove the car to work today so I could take it to my body guy (I will roll over 17k miles on the way home). He restores Porsches and Alfa's so he is the man for the job. He also restored my dads old 510 in 87 and 2 of his 240z's over the last 6 years. I plan to have him fix the small rust areas in the front fenders, fix the dent in the rear door and re-paint that small part of the rocker to rear arch that isn't quite the right color match. He will use single stage and will blend it. He is amazing at making paint look original.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Dupe post
Last edited by five&dime on 11 Oct 2016 05:51, edited 1 time in total.