New from Sunny South Africa

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Heinrich

Re: New from Sunny South Africa

Post by Heinrich »

morning.

i am fabricating adapters and keeping the stock 510 steering in place(for now)

just to add, i am using this in a rwd config, not FWD.
already made rwd gearbox adapter, so all that is left s 2 engine mounts and a gearbox x member.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Often when doing engine swaps, it's the transmission shifter angle that determines the angle of the engine in many cases. In some case the engine itself is designed to be at an angle to drain oil. I can't confirm either for you, except to say that the SR20 is usually mounted vertically in most applications in RWD configuration.
You met need to build or source an oil pan that is level and the oil pick up in a location that it will functionaly get all the oil from the pan of ever needed, should it be at an extreme angle.

As far as mounting position in the engine bay, most SR motors seem to be set rearward as far as possible, even relocating the heater core water pipes to get the motor back further. This is often done to give maximum space to accommodate both a radiator and intercooler across the front of the car.

There are a number of SR guys here on the realm that have built their set up and can chime in further.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Heinrich wrote:morning.

i am fabricating adapters and keeping the stock 510 steering in place(for now)

just to add, i am using this in a rwd config, not FWD.
already made rwd gearbox adapter, so all that is left s 2 engine mounts and a gearbox x member.
Ohhh... now it makes sense, I thought you were going wild with FWD.

Going to be an excellent setup, very well documented as Byron says..
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Byron, thank you.

i will see what makes sense when i actually start to mount the engine, i have heard so many different opinions and fortunately most suggest to mount it vertically.
i also had the shifter angle as reference in the back of my head.

but anybody that can , please chime in.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

i had a chat with a gentlemen that used to be very involved in the SA NISSAN motorsport scene in the 80's.

his straight up answer without hesitation:

"the engine can be mounted vertically or tilted to one side if you need clearance for brake boosters etc.
and slanted to the back of the car between 2 and 4 degrees"

i think this will be my approach.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Good morning all.

some updates.

i repaired both left and right wheel wells inside the rear doors.i almost missed these bad spots.
i replaced yet another piece of side sill at the left front door and finished the wheel arch lip for the left rear wheel.
the whole body is now finished as far as metal replacement goes.the boot lid still needs the holes filled that was used to mount different wings throughout its life, the front fenders still needs a lot of work, the engine bay needs cleaning up and the right traction rod mounting needs to be replaced.there is a pic of the bad mounting but that has since been removed , and the donor one was cleaned up and sandblasted.will post pics once it is welded back on.

the left front door bottom hinge mount was very badly bent/fractured.(see pic below)
i removed the stiffener from the door, fixed and put it back, feels a lot more solid now.

we also milled the gearbox housing down and i made the adapter to make this fit my FWD engine.the adapter plate will be made smaller, but for now it is fine.

image upload no compression
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

That's a lot of work, you're going to have a lot to be proud of when that thing finally hits the road, Heinrich.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Thank you Donnie.

car is taking a backseat at the moment , busy with some house renovations.

has anybody used weatherstripping from thailand
like so:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=sph ... pell_check

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-73-Weatherst ... Zt&vxp=mtr

seems awful cheap.any feedback appreciated.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

I don't have any feedback about the weather strip, but want to say well done on your metal work, seems like it never ends on these cars unless the are from a very dry climate.

At the top of the page was discussion about engine angle which got me thinking that you might consider setting your engine and transmission in place in order to address the tunnel width issue needed to accommodate the rear of the transmission. At approximately the location of the front seat mounts the tunnel needs to be about two inches wider.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

JIm, thank you.

i have read up quite a bit(this means looked at a crap load of pictures) on the tunnel widening, i have seen people bang it open wider and others use a scissor jack to make i work.i am not too afraid of that part of the swop.

i did not quite realize that it is 2 inches.it is more that i thought it would need.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Heinrich, I wanted to post a couple pictures for you but forgot.

These oil pans were manufactured for factory SR applications. Bottom of the pan being parallel to the ground Puts the valve cover canted about 5 degrees to the left side.
IMG_6171.JPG
IMG_6171.JPG (120.08 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
IMG_6172.JPG
IMG_6172.JPG (94.82 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Thank you Jim.

i really should try and find myself one of those digital angle devices.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

what are the differences in window chrome trim for various models.
what is the most common size?

i am looking for window rubber at the moment, and read somewhere that there are 2 variants.

i have not yet measured the width of my trim, hope to get to that over the weekend.
broke

Post by broke »

I've got those door and windscreen rubbers from Thailand. Haven't fitted the screen rubbers yet, but the door rubbers are ok. They're a bit too long (not a complete loop) so you trim the excess length to get them to fit. They seem like they're decent quality, I fitted them myself without too much drama.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

thank you.