'69 2-door Daily Fun Car

View and post your 510 project(s)
back2klassic

'69 2-door Daily Fun Car

Post by back2klassic »

So in the last year I have been uploading my build log to imgur and reddit, Other than my introduction, It is finally time spend the time to bring it to up to date here.

So here is everything up to this last week.

Pictures from the craigslist post: Quarter 3, 2015

My first project car, and first car that is 100% mine, 1969 Datsun 510 2 Door, Car has not been driven since 1999, while motor has been in another car. What I have gathered, it was an import L16SSS that Piston #4 failed, and was short block swapped with an L18. L16SSS+L18=L18SSS? not 100% accurate but good enough for me!

Other things the car came with, 219 Head, Camonics #2136 cam, Z valves, 38mm Hitachi SU's, Interpart and Muholland suspension parts, finned rear drums, LSD rear-end, rollbar, Came with A set of Epsilon SW wheels (on 205/60R14 but old and worn) and A set of western hurricane wheels.
The entire upholstery was done in a nice leather and cloth, I recovered the front seats in vinyl (down below) and will need to do more to them. (out of a 260z i believe)

Arriving home for the first day

had to roll the car inside and then the tear down began.
So many spiders... and so many nuts were in the car from the rodent(s) that once decided that this car would be their cold-storage.

After stripping the interior, and many coats of Meguairs #7
Used this guide to help wet the paint (now saved on webarchive)
https://web.archive.org/web/20161015071 ... aints.html

Time to rebuild!
Only took a year to get the engine back into the car (below)
Getting everything out of here. Experimented with the valve cover, but ended up redoing it (A common thing I have been doing, do something, mess up, do it again)

Time warp (and blurry)
Worked on fan relays, dual 10" SPAL fans, engine bay was stripped and repainted with eastwood rust reformer and my extra fuse box (Blue Sea Systems ST Glass 6 Circuit Fuse Block)

stripped and painted the grille then testing them out(needs to be done again), wife gifted me the 1800SSS emblem (this is Christmas 2015) and then here are the SPAL Fans, Thank you 510realm member who posted his thoughts on dual 10" fans (also a bronze or kiln red 510)

Where we are going, we don't need rusty floorboards
Sanded down, luckily this Washington car was under a tree or garaged for the last decade so no pinholes. Then coated with Por15 and couple of cans of spray in bed-liner which is good enough for me.
Poor mans sound deadening, good enough for me and its not glued down so i can take it out if needed.
New carpet from 70dimer on ratsun and cool floor mats from brownstreethotrods09 on ebay. eventually i would like to get some of the clear plastic floormats that protect your carpet, the custom fit ones are expensive though.

Switch panel ive been working on
Paid too much for a piece of metal from homedepot, bent it, covered in vinyl, and installed voltage gauge, usb, 12v power, and the 5 switches turn on the led above them. switches: fan override, voltage gauge (bottom left), A/F ratio (will be mounting in the glovebox), 12v/usb, and an extra.

Rear window leaked and warped the Parcel shelf
Hardwood and Vinyl, and speaker cutouts for the rear speakers
Installed

Trunk
Same process in the trunk as the interior (minus the sound deadening)

Motor! fresh and rebuilt (slight hone and new bearings and rings)
Found another matchbox distributor on ebay late at night, internally regulated saturn alt.

and polishing, and polishing, and polishing

Now my love for T3 Starts

When 1 Project car turns into 2
1980 280zx, after looking for months for a set of 280zx front struts and hubs (the cheapest by the way was $300), had an idea of finding a car for the parts i need, then scrapping it...

car hasn't ran in a while, licensing hasn't been updated since 2005, 5 speed transmission, L28 Engine, let the previous owner keep the gas tank, gonna be taking what i need off this, then part the car out.

First part installed, now have an inspection lamp to match, factory wiring was still here just folded up and ready to go.

Couple cans of brake cleaner, ready to go.
New ratio: 1st - 3.062 2nd - 1.858 3rd - 1.308 4th - 1.000 5th - 0.773 (FS5W71(A or B?))
Old 4 speed: 1st - 3.382 2nd - 2.013 3rd - 1.312 4th - 1.000 (F4W63)

Cut the lower spring hat off, and then cleaned up and installed coilovers and KYB shocks.
back2klassic

Old pictures

Post by back2klassic »

Old pictures
back2klassic

This week!

Post by back2klassic »

And this week
Motor ready to go in!

After a year of work, its extremely close to running.

Tranny and engine in the car. (also the first time the hood has been on the car in a year)

Front suspension sitting inside car, Also not pictured Ermish roll center adjusters (bumpsteer)

Close to how she sits now.
back2klassic

Re: '69 2-door Daily Fun Car

Post by back2klassic »

Now i have an issue, with the battery installed (ignition to off) the front marker lights(below the headlights), and inspection lamp stay on. Putting the cable on the battery, i can hear the relay (This one i purchased from user Grinderhttp://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p255939) turning on (sounds like it is doing what it should be but something is sending a positive signal to the lights turning them on), pulling off the (headlight) relay, the lights will be off. what would be the next step for me to look for. I have three wires, positive and what i assume negative (black and black/red (that were connected into one terminal connector)) going to the positive and negative of the alternator. Also have voltage regulator removed with those wires done correctly for the conversion.

I cannot tell if the 69 uses a different relay than the one that this headlight relay is designed for? or what would be your opinion on where to look next.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wiring diagram, stat! The late-dash color diagram is up at The 510 Realm. It's better than nothing, but '69 is different in some aspects. Once it gets lighter I'll dig up my '69 diagram.

Headlight relay shouldn't click to turn on the front signals. That circuit is just headlights. So...are you sure the headlights aren't also trying to turn on, in addition to the wiring issue that's turning on the front signals? Fuses new? They may look good, but they can look good and be bad. Fuse box bath (soak in vinegar for five minutes, rinse in water, let to dry)?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Youve got time, just left for work so i will be in California for a few days before heading back north, home. New fuses, new headlights, cleaned the fusebox already. I have a print off of the wiring diagram and when i get home i will try and label any changes i notice that my car has compared to the diagram, have checked headlights (and they have not turned on)but i will double-check, might not have had key in correct position) also dont have lights in taillights so i might try and see if those signals are powered aswell.

Other things to note, have starter running to a relay, distributor wires have not been hooked up, using internally regulated alternator, i also have what looks like a fusable link (may just be a heavier gauge wire (red)) running to the powered side of alternator, and black, and black/red (that were combined in a terminal connector) running to negative of alternator, no lights are hooked up in the tail if the car, and the rear window has a defroster running a wire to the front of the interior (which from what i can gather, was not in the 69)

The 69 diagram would help a bunch. And thank you for your help, talking through the problem has already gave me a few more ideas on where to look next.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Wow, this car is an awesome time machine fo many 510 owners from the 70's and 80's. Very cool, and glad to see it has been saved. I look forward to hearing about your first drive.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

A way to check the headlights...all terminals will be hot (12V+) with the headlight switch OFF. Pulling the switch two pulls gets the headlights ON, but Datsun does it by grounding the correct headlight terminal. Key position doesn't matter.

Sounds like your entire harness was worked over by a PO or three. Very common to see a hacked harness, but I've never understood why POs go for the wire cutters and e-tape versus working out exactly what needs to be fixed and how.

I have my '69 diagram next to the computer, so let me know if you need anything in particular run down.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Thanks guys, just got home today and had a welcome surprise waiting for me.

New solex twincam locks; ebay for $43.00, seller looked sketchy but they're the real deal, Image

I got the lights working correctly! After digging up my old headlight relay, I pulled the new one i bought from Grinder on the classifieds and compared the two, sadly this 69 has a different headlight relay. so I will be saving this relay for another car, or if i get bored look to see if i can re-wire it to match the old one.

So the original one is back in for now. But my wiring problems are no more! (for now)

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Do keep an eye on the brass oil fitting coming out of the block, I /we have seen these crack, causing loss of you know what.

Change that to steel if you can.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Thanks for the tip, will definitely change that over when ive got the extra bucks to do so.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hey, congrats on getting the lights working. I'd still keep some troubleshooting on your list near-term so you can be sure you figured out what the problem was. You know, so the lights don't go out on your in the middle of a corner, at night, at speed...:)
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Found out they made two different types of relays, My car having the earlier type, and the wiring is different - http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/ ... relay.html

eventually when i get time, i will move the wires around to the correct layout on the new relay.
Last edited by back2klassic on 19 Oct 2016 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Hubs are in and calipers on

Mocking up the wheels (turned in a little)

back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Tranny mounted today, and front sway bar.

Last couple of weeks of my free time.

Wifes car is a kia spectra and i've always liked her shift knob better than the cheap ebay knobs, so found a Spectra 5 (04-09) leather shift knob for $20 on craigslist. PN for anyone interested P8190-2F000, a little tape helped snug the fit onto the shift lever.

Made a couple of screens for the grille and hood cowl

And cleaned up the underside of the hood and a little rattle can high temp paint.

extremely excited to see the new door upholstery that is going to be available on futofab in December.