Steering Column - Model Year Length Differences

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
5spot
Supporter

Steering Column - Model Year Length Differences

Post by 5spot »

Does anyone know the difference between steering column lengths from 68-73? I have now seen columns with 14 collapsible bumps, and 17 collapsible bumps. The 17 bump column is about 1-1/2" longer. I found that out the hard way :x . It would be nice to document here what year has what column?

My 73 came with a 14 bump. I think the 17 must belong to the 68 or 69? Anyone else??
RMS
Supporter

Re: Steering Column - Model Year Length Differences

Post by RMS »

68 has no bumps, its got a death shaft just waiting to impale someone through the breast plate....well beats a bat wrapped in barb wire.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

or a toilet plunger!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I've never seen the "death shaft" in US cars. My coupe is and Sunny do have it though. I've never noticed a difference in shaft bumps to tell you the truth. Time to dig around in the shed.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here we are with another 68 510 item. As far as I can tell, the 68 USDM 510's were the first to get the collapsible column. The rest of the world, including Canada, all got cars in 68 where the column was one piece from the steering box all the way back. No collapsible feature. The same went for the dual circuit brake system, the US recieved the twin M/C right from the start, while the rest of the world had a single circuit M/C for the 68 model year. The USDM cars also recieved a unique dash without steel and a full crash pad, no one else in the world recieved this in the 68 MY. Low back bucket seats (no headrests) were also standard on all cars outside of the US, as we got here in Canada with both bucket and bench front seats with no headrests. I know that all Canadian cars did not come with seatbelts in the back seat for the 68 MY. And the last major difference was that the USDM 510's had the "Euro" front market/signal lights and tail lights that were unique for that year. The rest of the world including Canada next door got the clear/Amber combination marker up front and the Amber/red tail lights where the USDM cars recieved just Amber lights up front and red lenses in the rear. The later being totally unique to the USDM cars in 68 only.

One thing you guys just pointed out was the difference in columns I've the years, this would be good to document, I've not taken note of this.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MK510

Post by MK510 »

Here in Finland 510's have "death shaft" in all models 68-72.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I can see that not being a safety issue in Finland. you guys roll over on gravel. we smack into each other on tarmac.
5spot
Supporter

Post by 5spot »

Anyone out there with an automatic trans with shifter on the tree? How many bumps in your column?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

14 bumps on my 11/71 bw on the tree
5spot
Supporter

Post by 5spot »

I just had confirmation of someone with a '68 USA model that has a 17 bump column. So at this point I'll have to assume the 68 US model had the 17 bump column. Good stuff!

If there are any other USA model '68 owners out there, please document your column (# of bumps) in this thread.