No Post numbers.

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
Chickenman

No Post numbers.

Post by Chickenman »

Is it possible to enable Post numbering with the software? With longer threads it makes referring back to an older post so much easier. Can eliminate a lot of Copying and pasting of " Quotes ", which would save some bandwidth on the site. TIA

Richard
510rob

Re: No Post numbers.

Post by 510rob »

testing 1 2 3

post #2
510rob

Post by 510rob »

testing 1 2 3

post #3
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Are you testing something? The links in your fourth post all connect back to this subject. But I'm still not seeing any post numbers??
The Taterhead

Post by The Taterhead »

Far right of the links. #p(--------) = post numbers.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

No that's not what I'm talking about and doesn't really help. Doesn't even show up the same in my Browser.

Here's a simple example. Look to the far right of the upper menu bar.

http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php ... hing-Miata

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Richard,

It shows up in my browser, under our name(s), on the right side of my screen, under that is date joined, under that location, then under that a "contact" icon.

You show 382 posts to date, I think Byron has the most ( silly car build :lol: ) 11,000+

I'm like 9,389
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I believe he is referring to the post number in a given thread. In this case my post is #9 in this thread but I only know that because I counted down from the top. His example shows each post number at the far right of the date/time bar. I agree it would be useful to have the individual posts numbered if that is something that is easy to do.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

As it exists, you can paste in links from individual posts, which is what Rob was showing above. It appeared the links went to the same place in the thread because his linked posts were short at at the top.

If you click here:
viewtopic.php?p=257082#p257082

You'll get taken to the post above mine. It's not post numbering, but the idea is there.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

WxMan got it. It's really a very simple request. This is the only Forum I've ever visited that doesn't have Post numbering turned on. Copy and pasting header link works. IF the person providing the link knows how to do that. ... but not everyone does and it was not what I was asking.

Hypothetically, suppose I ask member XYZ about a particular subject in his 89 page " Build " thread. And XYZ doesn't know how to " right click " his page header, then Copy and Paste that URL link. That's already 12 words just explaining. When he easily could say... " See Post #127 ". Lets not make a simple Question complicated please...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

But...if Member XYZ knows it is post #127, nine times out of ten it is because he went and found it. And if he went and found it, he could just copy the post link (the tiny little paper icon to the left of the "by okayfine" on the top/left of each post). Which would save you from navigating through however many pages of his thread until you get to post #127. The post link is actually easier.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »