justins (maybe track) car

View and post your 510 project(s)
MikeY

Re: justins (maybe track) car

Post by MikeY »

I've decided to try and make a 2 into 1 collector to make the job easier, read cheaper at the exhaust shop. Will go 2.25 from here back. And I've been back taping 6 mil poly to the upper door card trim molding and holding it to the door by pushing the plastic cup through. As you guys know it's all the little details at this point. But I've been here before so am no going to get overwhelmed.
Attachments
As it sits today
As it sits today
_20160815_162506.JPG (493.44 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
_20160815_162448.JPG
_20160815_162448.JPG (526.82 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
_20160815_162432.JPG
_20160815_162432.JPG (300.05 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Whoa amazing job ! Look totally mint now ! Think the fun part will now begin when you slowly bolt everything back.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Well I'm never going to make it to feature build as I'm terrible at updating progress. I found the tranny howl with forum help. Tracked a vibration down to a bad rear wheel bearing. I had a bent stub axle. Or for some reason it has a stiff spot when spun by hand after install new bearings. A replacement stub and all is good. I had a rattle in the new exhaust. Turns out it was too close to a half shaft. A bit of massaging and thats fixed. Seems to start and stop so I'm off to Alberta on Wednesday. Justin is in Airdrie and will fly down on Tuesday and we will take the first road trip together. I've got some all seasons on the 13" rims. Western clones I think. He can used these rims for autocross slicks. He has a set of swastikas we will polish up next week. He can buy some fresh street tires in the spring. The temp reads the high end of the M on the gauge. But I can easily remove the rad cap when parked hot. So I assume that is the gauges normal. Not where I'd like it. I install a pair of Acura seats. While they are nice they are a bit high. I feel cramped in the car. I a perfect world I would have modified the stock seat rails and floor xmember. Maybe in the future if it bothers Justin. I have no desire to break out the grinder and welder at this point. New belts are on the way.from datsport. We will install them at his place. As well he will garage it so it will get carpet. I can't seem to build a dry 510 so prefer rubber mats. Wish us luck. I have packed spares and tools.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

A picture with the rims.
Attachments
IMG_20161105_112545.jpg
IMG_20161105_112545.jpg (566.71 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You just don't see too many 13's on 510's anymore - car looks good. Best of luck on the drive. Hope you don't hit any salt on the drive.

Way to bring a car back from the dead Mike, great job.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Mike if you haven't yet, replace the thermostat with a good $10 one. If it still reads warM at least it's the gauge. Heater working, defrost? Antifreeze? good wiper blades/Rain-X, Headlights? Choke? Shovel? Blankets/sleeping bags? Damn, I love road trips
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I am packing well. But no shovel. New headlights. They do help, and aiming didnt hurt. Heater works and I will grab a another new thermostat tomorrow. The basic wrenches and screwdrivers along with a small pail of nuts and bolts. As Justin didn't have the horde of part I do I'm trying to set him up. Spare half shaft, starter, wiper motor, relays,and a u joint for good luck. A couple of window winders and door pull handles as well. Anti freeze is in and a 50/50 mixture in a jug. I am also using dot 5 brake fluid so bringing a half container of it. The blanket is packed. I have a new but a few years old orphan tire I will mount tomorrow for a spare. I replaced just about everything on the car so we should be fine. I also love road trips. I've been back to Nova Scotia a few times by car. In a 510 and a mgb. I think it's rubbed off on the boys. They can with me to the Yukon in the wagon. And helped deliver 510 to Halifax as well. We will take highway 3 for a while. I love the Hope, Princeton. But they are straighting it out as years go by. I'd go all the way to Alberta that way but it is quite a bit longer. Google says 14 hrs. I will update with a picture on the way.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Mike,

Just had a friend come over the Hope/Princeton on Friday, said it is in good shape, they are still straightening out the thing, too bad, we never did get one last drive in before the twisty's disappeared.

Have a safe trip!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

We made the trip almost trouble free. We stopped at a rest stop near keromios and it wouldn't start. I could smell gas so it seemed like it was flooded. Waited a while but still no go. I broke out the tools and removed the air filter. With the su's it's not that easy. I saw the choke was stuck and after fiddling with it all was good. The car ran great and the roads were ok. We has some rain but no snow. The car is now safe in its garage. He actually has a large shop. I did manage to rip off the spook backing on to the road from his drive way. It's a bad transition and it was bound to happen. I guess it helped that I was there to repair the valance. I had bought some extra paint. We had it put in a spray can and with a swipe of filler its pretty good. I had glued the spook on. Maybe bolting is better. Now on to the next project.
Attachments
Tucked away in the shop
Tucked away in the shop
IMG_20161114_090613693.jpg (348.95 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
Stopped in Revelstoke
Stopped in Revelstoke
IMG_20161114_091544.jpg (607.67 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
The proud new owner
The proud new owner
IMG_20161109_151007349_HDR.jpg (699.86 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

And a few more pictures.
Attachments
Under the.bumper
Under the.bumper
IMG_9315.jpg (149.6 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
Under the hood
Under the hood
IMG_8893.jpg (322.75 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
The Taterhead

Post by The Taterhead »

That Revelstoke pic is B E A utiful!
BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

Wow beautiful car! Love the color.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Justin had the car appraised for his insurance. It sure is nice to see 510's getting respect. It was a very nice report. $21000cdn was the number with some upside to finish the interior. It still needs carpet and a stereo. It did turn out well and had years of collecting parts and saving the best for a 2 dr build. At that price there is even something for labor. Lol. That doesn't happen often.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's excellent Mike, a testament to your build, you can be proud of that!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer