Project Miracle Whip - 1968 510 4door s13 sr20det

View and post your 510 project(s)
sssexxx

Re: Project Miracle Whip - 1968 510 4door s13 sr20det

Post by sssexxx »

I know these micro details are boring, but I find it odd that no one ever posts about them. The details are what is actually important. Seeing how a part began and how it ended up never taught me anything. I want to know how to restore things, not just be amazed that they have been restored. Am I crazy?

Just my two cents. Back on point. The delivery Gods were favorable today.

Inside the box, all new rubber for Project Miracle Whip. The only problem, is that I have no clue where 90% of this goes. Can a guy get a tutorial? Anyone want to help out??

sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Meanwhile, it was time to pull the parts out of the vibratory tumbler.... I think they came out kind of nice :)

Then it was time to break down the larger parts of the door internals. All of it, including the clean parts, are going off to be replaced tomorrow morning.

Four of these bad boys...

Then it was all set for delivery. Door internals, hinges and now I just need to find the hood latch, trunk latch and a few miscellaneous parts.
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Project update. Interior door mechanisms come back from yellow zinc plating tomorrow. Powder coated rear sub frame comes back in one week. All other suspension parts are in. Massive parts order today:
  1. 2 x NRG Innovations Fiberglass Bucket Seats
  2. AEM Infinity 506 Control Unit
  3. Aeromotive 15g 340 Stealth Fuel Cell
  4. Turbosmart FPR 2000 -8 AN - Black
  5. Turbosmart IWG75 Garrett GT2860RS 7 PSI Black Internal Wastegate Actuator
  6. Turbosmart Plumback BOV 38mm - Black
  7. Aeromotive In-Line Filter - AN-08 size Male - 10 Micron Microglass Element - Bright-Dip Black
  8. AEM 3.5 Bar Stainless sensor Kit
  9. 2 x AEM 150 PSIg Stainless Pressure Transducer
  10. 2 x AEM 1/8" & 3/8" NPT Water Temperature Sensors
  11. AEM Boost Control Solenoid
  12. Air Temp Sensor Kit DTM
  13. AEM EGT Sensor Kit for EMS
  14. AEM 12pos. rotary trim pot
  15. AEM BOSCH Connector kit
  16. LSU4.9 O2 Sensor
  17. Garrett Turbo GTX2860R
  18. Garret Turbo 0.86 A/R Turbine Housing
  19. Full Vehicle Wiring Harness Materials
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Great update and thanks for all the detail. Some of us haven't done this kind of thing before and any and all info on the process is helpful.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

WxMan wrote:Great update and thanks for all the detail. Some of us haven't done this kind of thing before and any and all info on the process is helpful.
Thank you! "Some of us" would include me as well. I'm learning as I go with help from everyone else. This is the only way I can give back. Sad to say, but every step I take is researched to a nauseous degree. I've been screwed before, trying not to let it happen again.
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Minor update. Still playing the waiting game on parts delivery....

BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

Looking forward to seeing your next round of updates!
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Man o' man was I avoiding this day FOR AS LONG AS I COULD!!! I knew the JDM Supersonic Grill I had needed some work and I knew I would have to take it apart. The nightmare had haunted me for too long. It was time to man up. Let's take a look at what we are working with shall we?

Full frontal...

Drilling out rivets on something you love so dearly is very scary...

And when the passenger side piece was off, part of the damage was obvious.... ARGH!!!!

But, one was off and no part of the grill was damaged in removing the rivets. So far so good...

Then the other side was off with minimal problems...

Then there were two pieces lol... And I'm still freaking out...

YAY!! All apart. Now I need to figure out to rivet this all back together assuming I can get the plastic on the passenger side bezel fixed.

Since the night was a fail. I wanted to try and see if I can polish the Supersonic badge and SSS badge..

Then boom, pow!

Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

good going
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

Ahhhhhhh, today was a magical day. The delivery gods favored me and the new yellow zinc plater wound up being spectacular. I was nervous, but they did not lose a single piece, everything looked spectacular and they even kept my things organized in the same plastic bags I dropped off. If you've ever plated anything, you know how rare that is.

As a reminder, I took the parts I prepared and the parts that were too big for me to pop in the tumbler and dropped them off looking like this:

And my first peak when I picked them up looked like this:

As soon as I got home, I pulled it all out:

Then it was comparison time. Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And the money shot of the details:

So, I do have some questions. Do I need to grease any parts of the mechanisms? The springs? And, does anyone have a good link to a tutorial on the best steps to installing them back in. It has been so long since I removed the damn things!!

Lastly, the beginnings of my center console arrived. Going the 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 route, but I have some special touches.

Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

very nice
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

FYI that's the incorrect SSS badge for a JDM 510.
1800sss grill badge.jpg
1800sss grill badge.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Without the "1800" obviously. NBD, not sure if you knew.

I also did a repair of a JDM SSS grill, so I know how you feel. You should be able to repair it so no one will notice (as long as they don't read this thread).

I'm not that familiar with what Datsport includes in their rubber kits. Most of it should be obvious (you'll have four door-opening strips, a big roll of window channel, etc.). If you can't figure out a particular piece, post up a picture. Shouldn't be a problem.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

each datsport package has a part# and description. a bit of Palmolive and water will help ease the seals on..... like the inner window squeegees...my thumbs are still sore from doing it dry. the outer squeegees were a bit tricky trying to keep everything lined up as I pushed a single copper staple through the rubber and in to the existing holes with a bare thumb. after reading Byron's windshield instillation thread I had the front and back installed in a few hours.

I have some detailed pick of the doors on a 68 Imagehttp://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p250750

did those window clip stay on during travel and plating ? :shock:

I greased the shine out of my mechanisms. specially the springs
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

okayfine wrote:FYI that's the incorrect SSS badge for a JDM 510.
1800sss grill badge.jpg
Without the "1800" obviously. NBD, not sure if you knew.

I also did a repair of a JDM SSS grill, so I know how you feel. You should be able to repair it so no one will notice (as long as they don't read this thread).

I'm not that familiar with what Datsport includes in their rubber kits. Most of it should be obvious (you'll have four door-opening strips, a big roll of window channel, etc.). If you can't figure out a particular piece, post up a picture. Shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you so much for responding! I appreciate your input. I actually didn't notice the badge not being JDM, but started to get suspicious when I was looking for a new one online. I don't like the pitting on the chrome. The Supersonic logo is not as bad, but it does bother me. I am looking in to chroming plastic at the moment.

The grill repair freaked me out. I am glad to know there is somewhen else out there. Thank you for the mental support.

A lot of the Datsport stuff is obvious like you suggest, but I do have some very naive questions. The application is my biggest fear. I will take your advise and post pictures as I go. Probably won't do that until after the wiring is done though. One question for you that I just can't get an answer to. I have been trying to find replacement rubber for the bottom of the glass on each door window. It is sandwiched in place between the metal bracket at the bottom. I need to get the windows out, re-plate or paint that bracket and then reseat the windows in new rubber. Any ideas?
sssexxx

Post by sssexxx »

RMS wrote:each datsport package has a part# and description. a bit of Palmolive and water will help ease the seals on..... like the inner window squeegees...my thumbs are still sore from doing it dry. the outer squeegees were a bit tricky trying to keep everything lined up as I pushed a single copper staple through the rubber and in to the existing holes with a bare thumb. after reading Byron's windshield instillation thread I had the front and back installed in a few hours.

I have some detailed pick of the doors on a 68 Imagehttp://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p250750

did those window clip stay on during travel and plating ? :shock:

I greased the shine out of my mechanisms. specially the springs
Wow! Nights like tonight are soooooo appreciated. I really can't thank you and "okayfine" enough for taking the time to give this rookie some feedback. These pictures and that link are super helpful. Thank you! The Datsport stuff is individually labeled, but there is the Australian english to American english vernacular which can be confusing. I will give the Palmolive a try. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, they did stay on during travel and plating. Nothing was lost or damaged. I was so shocked. Using a new plater is very nerve racking, but these guys were fairly priced and meticulous. They even bagged up my two zip lock bags with the bolts and nuts separated for each piece. Nothing was mixed. Crazy right?

Got it! Grease the springs. I had guessed as much as you could tell from my old pictures they had grease build up on them. Did they cut off the cloth tube that surrounded the long back window rod? You can see it in my pictures pre delivery and they had to take it off post delivery.