FIRST SNOW IN VANCOUVER

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

FIRST SNOW IN VANCOUVER

Post by bertvorgon »

Well, we have just had our first snow in Vancouver and along with that has come the GONG show of traffic MAYHEM!!!!

I got up a bit early, as I have lived this for 40 years coming into Richmond and have predicted that it will be grid lock with our higher density traffic now...PROVEN RIGHT. I left early to get a jump ahead of he insanity.

The first three cars were off Hwy 99 on the way in, slight skiff of slush and shit tires and they were GONE into the weeds. One young guy hit the cable barrier so his doors and quarter panel were not looking too good. A Bimmer sport ute will take an expedition to recover it from the farm field.

After the tunnel is was virtually stopped, but, due to the fact that I have REAL snow tires on my Oddyssey, I just got out into the fast lane and left everyone behind.

I still have not seen my co-workers, where I think it will take them maybe 2 hours to get here.

Traffic on Viking way beside my work is stopped, for the left turn light on Bridgeport, to get onto the Knight street bridge, been backed up for over two hours. I just watched a school bus move 200 feet in 20 minutes, at that rate he should get over he bridge my midnight tonight.

WAY TO GO VANCOUVER...wait till the next blast Wednesday, Thursday and Friday....

Purolator just banged on my door, took him 1.5 hours to go what should have been 20 minutes....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Re: FIRST SNOW IN VANCOUVER

Post by Byron510 »

'Tis the season to sit at any major intersection in a lawn chair with a six pack, and laugh your ass off! :-D

And then walk to work, because it will be faster.

I love snow, separates the 3% who can drive from everyone else.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

tl;dr - driving in snow calls for good winter (mud and snow) tires
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

well I did a lot better in my 800kg rwd datsun with summer racers than many of the 6000lb+ 4wd/awd suvs cruising around Richmond yesterday....

today I installed some ms snowflakes as more winter fun is on the way! even got clearance for chains if it gets really exiting
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last night, at 11:00 PM, at the height of the latest snow storm, my son and I headed into Vancouver, 18th and Commercial to be exact, to rescue my son's lady friend and get her car back to White Rock.

Lots of cars off highway 99, one was so far into the trees near the Cambie overpass in Richmond, that I wondered how the hell fast was that person going in this snow and ice condition?! Most people were going DEAD slow on 99, fair enough, but some had parked themselves at 50KMH in the fast lane..Holy Crudmucker...could have kicked a few asses for sure.

On Oakstreet, at about 49th, southbound, 12 trolley buses were dead in the shed, stacked up like cord wood against the curb, nose to tail, either spun out with the ice, or the trolley lines not able to handle the snow/ice/...so much for public transportation.

The side street where we had to go was 6" of snow, but the Nissan Micra got out no problem and although Commercial drive was all rough ice, got back onto 99, where it had now gotten to almost bare and wet, with the tons of salt that were spread on it.

It's off to the car wash once this weather event is over and the rain washes the salt away, as they really did use massive amounts this storm
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I'm excited, I'll be over in under 3 months :D

Stay safe out there.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey, I have not forgotten you are coming, as it gets closer, touch bases and we can suggest some places, etc..

Come and see my 510 and we can have lunch, my treat.

Keith Law
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

i have some nice 13" full snow tires for sale if anyone can use them.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The news said people sliding off the road and having accidents... "Because of the weather" and I laughed. The weather had nothing to do with it. If the weather isn't blamed when it's clear and warm and people go to fast to get stopped it shouldn't be blamed when it snows. The blame lies fully with incompetent, out of touch, unskilled drivers.

This is my first winter driving my Datsun. Put Subaru leather seats in last spring. They are electric adjustable in every direction but sideways but I need to connect up the electric heaters. Never dreamed I would ever need them.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yesterday was my fastest commute time to and from work ever! 5 minutes there about 10 back. Everyone must have called in. I took my Honey Bunny Bears Nissan Leaf (don't care if it gets wrecked) to work. I saw a few mini Ken Blocks out there, one was driving an F150 managed to hit a big curb and snap his axle haha. My back roads were covered, no big deal just easy on the brakes or gas pedal (??)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

bertvorgon wrote:Hey, I have not forgotten you are coming, as it gets closer, touch bases and we can suggest some places, etc..

Come and see my 510 and we can have lunch, my treat.
Thanks for the offer, appreciated. I'll PM you nearer the time.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

icehouse wrote:Yesterday was my fastest commute time to and from work ever! 5 minutes there about 10 back. Everyone must have called in. I took my Honey Bunny Bears Nissan Leaf (don't care if it gets wrecked) to work. I saw a few mini Ken Blocks out there, one was driving an F150 managed to hit a big curb and snap his axle haha. My back roads were covered, no big deal just easy on the brakes or gas pedal (??)
I put a good set of Hankook IPIKES on my wife's leaf. It was pretty interesting to drive in the snow. If it sensed any tire slip it would drop the power to about 1 or 2 KW on the meter and the car would just slowly crawl away till it got going and it would just slowly feed in more power as the road would take it.
I drive a Ram 1500 with the eco diesel that has all seasons on it and I have no problems at all. Just keep the momentum down on the slippery stuff and if you have a choice keep the tires in the untouched snow instead of those 2 shiny tracks everyone else is driving in. Snow has grip....the hard packed stuff just turns to ice.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I too have the IPikes on my Honda Odyssey and my son's Tracker, they work GREAT!

I have parked my G35 till the salt is gone!

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I'll have to get a set of those when the Leaf needs tires. Which is looking like pretty soon!!!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The 409's? look like they make some that would work on the Datsun!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ ... 4&pc=12643