Steering Column Cover #$%@!

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
TheHeretic
Supporter

Steering Column Cover #$%@!

Post by TheHeretic »

Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong! Why am I having so much trouble getting the screws on the plastic column cover to screw and tighten down nicely? It's incredibly challenging every time to put the column on and line up the screws so that they start grabbing. Then pretty much every time they start going in the bind up and start to strip the threads. At some point I just give up and muscle them in place with lots of groaning from the screws. 70-73 column BTW.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to getting them in properly?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Steering Column Cover #$%@!

Post by qwik510 »

Open up the clamshell and try to hand screw them in. Find which screws go easiest into each threaded hole. Lay the screws out in order and then try to install them.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Make sure your phillips head diameter isn't rubbing the inner diameter of the recessed hole and do as Dave said,,I mean QWIK510
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Thanks guys! Guess I am might be the only one with this issue. :lol: Will need to get some new screws from the hardware store that aren't stripped and then give it another shot when I put my column back on.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan