After market heater

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
rdanard
Supporter

After market heater

Post by rdanard »

1970 2 door 510

Looking to build a custom metal console starting from around the heater controls down past the shifter....I'm going to include some gauges, rear brake bias control and maybe a few other switches....I wanted to ask you guys if theres a aftermarket heater unit or fan that can be installed to help out the weak factory heater. Looking to drive the car most of the year so alittle more air movement would be good ahaha....Thanks
510rob

Re: After market heater

Post by 510rob »

some ideas - http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/traile ... g/N-ryaapi

I'm pretty sure that Malcolm installed one of these units into his ice race car and found that it produced so much heat that he wore a t-shirt in his car while ice racing, and always made jokes about the fact that his car would melt the ice if it sat too long with the heater on.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Before shelling out big money for a whole new after market heater, I would start with the cheeper rout putting inline fans in the vent hose just before the register.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3107855702 ... noapp=true
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

My 510 has a great factory heater. I have driven the car on cold days 25-30 degrees and it still provides good heat.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
rdanard
Supporter

Post by rdanard »

Hmm...maybe I have to investigate some more, the fan seems pretty weak. I have the stock system and still can switch between windshield, floor or vents.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Have you pulled the system out and inspected it? That would be the cheapest first route.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My take also, I still have my factory heater, 73' and have driven in -5C ( 23F.) and even with my huge rad, have had adequate heat,

Fan and all controls still factory also.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

This might be helpful.

510 heater assembly rebuild.

http://www.510coop.com/completed/heater.htm
Enjoy The Ride!
David