EFI Manifolds For Sale, IR for Datsun L-Series heads

Post your forsale and wanted ads
Byron510

EFI Manifolds For Sale, IR for Datsun L-Series heads

Post by Byron510 »

As the heading of the post reads, I have new EFI manifolds for L-series heads for sale. These are brand new castings, and are designed as a direct replacement for those already running IR carburetion, and want to step into programmable fuel injection to gain reliability, better cold starting and simply a more enjoyable and the much broader power band that is available with electronic fuel injection. Or this manifold can be an alternative, if your are going to be building a new motor for your car, and don’t want the cost and time required for the fabrication involved with installing another family of motor, and the problems that are associated with these swaps.

This second run of ten manifolds, (an initial run of six manifolds were previously sold years ago) will be available on a first come, first serve basis, this will probably be the last run of these manifolds.

Runner specs are 45mm at TB end tapering to 38 mm at the head, with a total runner length of 120mm. The manifold is designed to bolt to your existing L-series cylinder head, and will allow the mounting of your individual throttle bodies. The manifold is designed so that the injector is aimed directly at the backside of the intake valve, just off center, to increase torque and reduce fuel puddling in the manifold, or around the valve. This is best for low RPM operation, and emissions. This EFI manifold comes drilled to accept Bosche L-Jetronic style injectors. The L-Jetronic style of injector is available in many sizes, up to 500cc/min, which is good for around 300HP. If you choose, the manifold can also be easily modified to use the newer Motronic style injectors, upon request.

There are a couple modifications needed to your existing cylinder head for best performance. You will need to eyebrow (a small amount of material needs to be removed) at the top of each port on the head, so that the atomized fuel flow in not impeded. Two holes will also need to be drilled and tapped in between each pair of intake ports, and a supplied bolt installed, to mount the top of the intake manifold. This second modification is necessary, as there will now be injectors located where the original upper manifold mounting bolts use to be. Both of these modifications can be done by myself, on request, or I will provide photos and details with each manifold sold so that you, or your machinist, has the information that they need.

There are 7 manifolds left for sale, as of Jan 2006.
Price is $375.00 Cdn.
Please PM if interested.

Byron
Attachments
EFI Manifolds038 (Small).jpg
EFI Manifolds039 (Small).jpg
EFI Manifolds040 (Small).jpg
Byron510

Photo of modifications needed to install manifold

Post by Byron510 »

This photo is of a U67 L-Series cylinder head. The two ports on the left have been mildly ported to 38mm at the head surface. The two ports on the right are stock. This photo makes clear the eyebrows that are needed at the top of each port for unobstructed fuel flow towards the backside of the valve. Also seen in this photo are the two drilled and tapped M10 holes (studs installed) that are required for fixation of the top part of the manifold (the four M8 holes are no longer used).

Byron
Attachments
EFI Manifolds037 (Small).jpg
Byron510

Applitcations

Post by Byron510 »

Here are a couple of different applications for the above-mentioned EFI, L-Series manifold. The first used a fabricated plenum, and a single throttle body. This project was done many years ago, and was done for less than $500, plus the purchase of a manifold. It used the entire EFI system from a 200SX parts car. These days, you'd be better off using something much newer, but the concept is still there. The system was complete with an idle air system, and even a PCV system. This car worked very well, and was installed on a 2.2L motor in a red 1970 510 wagon and was at Shasta in 2000. Made an excellent street/ solo car with excellent drivability and very good fuel mileage.
The second application is for the serious go fast crowd. This set-up utilizes TWM throttle bodies, an aftermarket EFI computer and is installed on a LZ 2.4 motor. Power is in the 230HP range. This would be a direct replacement setup for those currently running twin Mikuni/Webber type set-ups.
Just a couple of ideas to throw out there.
Byron
Attachments
IMG_5866 (Small).JPG
EFI Plenum on test bed002 (Small).jpg
Yellowcar

RE: Applitcations

Post by Yellowcar »

What cam were you running the the LZ 2.4?
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

nice stuff. maybe ill be ready for FI by the third batch ;)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The L24 powered car is not mine, just a friend who bought and used this EFI manifold. The cam in that car is pretty crazy. It's a custom cam, done by Colt Cams, and has something crazy like .610" lift and 310 deg duration. (Not totally positive, but it was in this range = many, many mods internally). This isn't a street cam. That motor is highly modified, and makes pretty huge power for a naturally aspirated engine.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Re: EFI Manifolds For Sale, IR for Datsun L-Series heads

Post by Byron510 »

Hey L-series die hards;

I have dug out the patterns that I made for these manifolds back in the 90's, along with the twin carb 45mm manifold patterns. I do intend to send these off to the foundry to get a quote on casting up a small run of each. I'm thinking 5, maybe 10 of each. Costs are to be determined, but I am gauging interest in these. Its been over 10 years since I did th last run of them.
I generally get a mere one request a year for these, which is why it's hard to commit to such a small run. Production costs are high at this number.
Turn around time won't be quick, I'm thinking 4-6 months if there is interest. Let me know what you guys think - are there some L series buffs out there wanting to update your original motor? This is a key component, and a pretty good quality one at that.

It'll be atleast 3-4 weeks just to hear back from the foundry on the casting costs, and then machining it's need to be sorted out afterwards.

Anyone interested?

Byron
imack

Post by imack »

I will take a fuelie manifold for sure and possible a carb one as well

Ian Mhttp://www.the510realm.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=4024#
broke

Post by broke »

I could be interested in the carby manifold - I was looking at a Datrally manifold as they're a copy of the old Comp manifold which was apparently the best performing side draught manifold around. Your castings look a lot nicer though. You based yours off the Nissan Comp one as well, correct?

Also does the carb manifold have a boss for the brake booster hose or any linkage mounting bosses?
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

broke wrote:I could be interested in the carby manifold - I was looking at a Datrally manifold as they're a copy of the old Comp manifold which was apparently the best performing side draught manifold around. Your castings look a lot nicer though. You based yours off the Nissan Comp one as well, correct?

Also does the carb manifold have a boss for the brake booster hose or any linkage mounting bosses?
Yes, the Carby manifold is based on the Comp manifold in that the runner length is 120mm and tapers from 45 to 38mm- which are the largest stock L-4 intake port size.

I have not included a bung for the brake booster as most race cars run larger cams, and manifold vaccume becomes a problem anyways. Most applications seem to have non power brakes when getting into this territory. And very few have upgraded their 510's to power brakes as the cars are so light in the first place. But I could make the change, adding a boss to the 4th runner that can be drilled and tapped for a 1/4 NPT hose barb fitting if there was a need for it for a little extra if you were interested.

Byron
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Definitely interested in a EFI manifold!
broke

Post by broke »

Byron510 wrote:
broke wrote:I could be interested in the carby manifold - I was looking at a Datrally manifold as they're a copy of the old Comp manifold which was apparently the best performing side draught manifold around. Your castings look a lot nicer though. You based yours off the Nissan Comp one as well, correct?

Yes, the Carby manifold is based on the Comp manifold in that the runner length is 120mm and tapers from 45 to 38mm- which are the largest stock L-4 intake port size.

I have not included a bung for the brake booster as most race cars run larger cams, and manifold vaccume becomes a problem anyways. Most applications seem to have non power brakes when getting into this territory. And very few have upgraded their 510's to power brakes as the cars are so light in the first place. But I could make the change, adding a boss to the 4th runner that can be drilled and tapped for a 1/4 NPT hose barb fitting if there was a need for it for a little extra if you were interested.

Byron
Thanks Byron, if I ordered one I'd be happy enough not to have the booster port, it would be easy enough for me to add one after.

Watching and waiting
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Crazy tempting..... Investigating what else needs to come into play.

I could get 5 of them and put them on the 240Z, too. Commonality between the 510 and the Z could be super advantageous.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
rusty12ver

Post by rusty12ver »

put me down for the EFI manifold, interested as well.
edakotaford

Post by edakotaford »

me too