'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well the old girl is off to Specialty next week to get a new distributor and inspection. Turns out the distributor broke off just above the bolt that holds it on.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's GREAT!

I will be sure to take it out for a test spin or two..maybe three...wonder how those a050's will be on the ice....???/
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Let me know how that goes....I heard that they are stud able from the Internet. You should just drive some studs into them. Everything on the Internet is true so it would definitely not damage the tires.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

1) get the hot
2) drive them through gravel
3) let them cool off
4) winterized!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Let me know how that goes....I heard that they are stud able from the Internet. You should just drive some studs into them. Everything on the Internet is true so it would definitely not damage the tires.
You know - don't laugh.
I can clearly recall seeing a set of 4 studded slicks made for a car in the Group B era on the Monte Carlo Rally (85/86 ish!). I know there's a shot taken of a stack of tires (tyres??) on one of my Beta tapes of the rally's in that era. As my father and his group of friends were ice racers in that time period, it was a topic of discussion at a party one year. Theory on this set, there was snow for a small part of the stage, then dry roads, so a set of tires was made on the spot for that stage. We are not talking amateur teams here... I just tried a google search and didn't find a photo, but it's out there. I just can't recall the team or car they were for. It'd take me a day to fine the footage on the tapes...

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's a good point Rob, the tires do need to be WARMED.

Andy has a nice AGGRESSIVE concrete pad out back, so I will wick things up to 8,000 RPM for a few minutes, then, head into the gravel/dirt runway, blast up and down there a few times, then back to that big mud puddle to cool off. How does that sound?

Also, big bonus..if the engine happens to hatch, why hell, it is ALREADY at Andy's, could not be a more perfect scenario.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Hey it is already "broken" so it would be a good reason to get it rebuilt with that supercharger I've been day dreaming about. An extra 75hp at the wheels would be fun.
Button

Post by Button »

Man I can't believe how nice of a job was done on the repairs, and the blacked out grill does look good. It's nice that you have some great shops that you can trust.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well today I got to bring her home......who says R compound tires aren't good on ice???? Leaving specialty there is a couple of km's of just ice. Maybe I should have asked what the roads were like before heading down. It turned out ok, I just crawled along in 3RD at just a hair above idle till I hit pavement. At that point they had cooled off nicely so spinning the wheels in 4th may have happened a few times. The car looks great, even better than in the pictures. Now I have her back in the heated garage up on the lift waiting to be cleaned again.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have been tinkering a bit with some small stuff. I really like the blacked out grill. I decided to make the rest of it match. The light rings and surrounds.

I think it looks pretty good.
Next will be to pull the struts and get them shortened.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Hey Norm-- This is really looking great!

Question about the wing-nut in the middle of the air-intake grille that replaces one headlight. What's it for? In other pictures (earlier) I figured it was maybe to hold the grille onto the headlight bucket / frame, but looking from this angle that doesn't seem to be what it's doing...
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It is to hold the cover for the intake. The left side is the oil cooler intake. It only needs to be open when I am doing high RPM running for extended periods. If I open it any other time my oil doesn't get above 155F.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Today I decided to finally install the Derlin bushing kit for my idler arm. To make sure I felt the change I took her out for a quick spin before and after. It only took about 30 minuter to install and the longest part was burning out the old rubber from the arm. I have the 17" wheels I borrowed from Robyn with Sdrives on them so she doesn't feel as responsive as she normally does. It is a noticeable difference. It feels like there is a good amount less sponginess now in the steering when turning. It seems to have taken quite a bit out of my dead spot on center. The Sdrives are fun to drive with also, there is nothing like being able to kick the back end out at will up to 4th gear. They also make snap turns on skinny roads really easy.
I really need to remember to take pictures as I am doing things I had everything back on the car before I thought of taking any.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

funwithmonkeys wrote:It is to hold the cover for the intake. The left side is the oil cooler intake. It only needs to be open when I am doing high RPM running for extended periods. If I open it any other time my oil doesn't get above 155F.
Interesting. So these are "solid" covers that fit over the mesh, on the outside, and are held on with the wing-nuts? I'm trying to picture how this would work... and also trying to figure out why you would have a cover for the air intake. Is it the same sort of issue, namely that you don't want to be sucking in cold outside air under certain conditions?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata