'69 2-door Daily Fun Car

View and post your 510 project(s)
back2klassic

Re: '69 2-door Daily Fun Car

Post by back2klassic »

Still sitting on jackstands, but after a year finally have a decent photo for my wallpaper.

back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Finally got the manifold studs I needed. Ordered some a few months ago but was lost or stolen in the mail.

Heres the ones I got - http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/15-8082, couldn't find a reliable source for 4-cyl manifold bolts so got a set from a 6-cyl and got a few backups for my collection.

So now the Carbs and exhaust manifold are in.

Plan is to completely redo the exhaust in 304SS if i can find a reasonable welder here near Portland (since I cannot afford to learn to weld currently) but my budget is low so unsure if that will happen, might just go to the local exhaust shop and have them weld up whatever plumbing pipe they have in back.
Ideally my goal is to keep the same length primary's as stock (2x 1.875") SS into a vibrant 10354 Y Connector. then the rest in 2.25" 304SS; a Thrush glasspack (owned) in the middle, then into a Borla XS muffler (owned) at the end. and weld in my A/F gauge near the front.

But here is the important part (pictures)

when i got the car and today. (still have a mess of wiring to do)
The Taterhead

Post by The Taterhead »

Holy cannoli batman. That looks much more better.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Looks loads better, glad to see it still has an L series too.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Looks much better!

Interesting VIN plate location.
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Here's hoping that i can get it finished before Canby (and i get a day off as well) was hoping to drive it there last year but still had a list of stuff i didnt think about.
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Front fuel lines are mostly in, still have to spend the 5-10 minutes :P and figure out how to compress the oetiker clamps. Also have a Holley 1 to 4 Fuel psi pressure regulator on the 3/8 line going back to the tank. Regulator has one inlet and two outlets so hoping to throw a pressure gauge on the top of the second outlet. I can imagine a cleaner setup of fuel lines, but with my limited knowledge this appears to do the job for now. Eventually the idea would be all PTFE fuel lines, and with fancy AN fittings not the AN to hose barb like i am doing since one of the P.O's of the car welded on AN fittings to the carbs

Also not pictured driveshaft is installed along with a new rear seal on the transmission.

Tomorrow (if weather/life permits) i have plans to clean up the backing plates of the rear drums and paint etc. then figure out how to install the brake hardware, slave cylinder, grease etc, and hopefully get closer to having the car rest on its wheels.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Using the oetiker clamps at work on the air lines, I simply used a pair of side cutters and crimped them down evenly on each side. Over a brass barb fitting, these easily held 150 psi for the 13 years I worked in the shop.mif you could find a Coleen way of crimping the same way, it does save you buying the tool.

Great work on the car. I love this machine, it's such a time capsule. Keep up the great work.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

To add, Knipex makes pliers for these clamps, played with them at last years SEMA. Probably not worth it for a few clamps, but I like tools!
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Well the 510 wasn't ready for Canby. But I did make it out on Saturday with the on-again off-again rain, Didn't feel like taking pictures but it was extremely cool to see all the cars and people. (and the Renascence fair going on right next door?) :lol:

Anyway Lots of things have been going on, buying my first house down the street from where I am currently renting so I'm attempting to button up everything on the car to do its first voyage out of the garage (pushing it down the street) since I bought the car 2 years ago.

Also I did order the pliers when i ordered the clamps, and I was just too anxious, I figured out how to close the clamps and they are alot easier than I thought they would be. :oops:

Soo what I have done recently...
  • - Finished up most of the wiring

- Installed driveline

- replaced rear taillights/signals with LED's from Superbrightleds.com, replace both flashers and then checked they all work correctly

- Put in shifter

- 3rd attempt at making door cards for the car and they work for me, First attempt was plexiglass and snapped making the last hole, second was cardboard and was only good for a template, this was some laminated hardwood from lowes that didnt cost much and I thought would look neater than some painted black normal hardwood. (and if these dont work out I can reverse them and paint them black)Image
    - Finished the Stereo in the car that has been sitting half installed in the car for over a year (and the stereo rocks!) :D

- Bought an eL cheapo header for the car and some Eastwood paint since everywhere I looked it was going to cost a lot to get the exhaust 2-1 remade like i originally planned. Image
    this will work for now but I do not recommend buying the headers that you see on eBay (the header inlets are tiny compared to the outlets on the head of my car, and as soon as it works out for me i will be doing what i originally planned and make a full remake of the exhaust (with 1.875 and 2.25") in stainless

- Took the exhaust out of the car with hand tools (what a pain) Image

- Fully installed both seats again

- Got replacement mirrors, Dad accidentally broke one of my interpart (Emblem on one has a logo with Interpart Ferrari Mirrors on the side) branded vitaloni baby tornado mirrors (that before that happened and before I knew their rarity I sanded and horribly painted :cry: ), so after a few months of wanting to get some Baby Tornado Vitaloni Mirrors But not wanting to put up the amount they have been offered for I finally stumbled on some being sold cheaper than usual market price. Didn't even have to change the brackets everything lined up the same.Image
    That's about it for now, some more stuff coming in the mail to help get the car closer to running and twice as much wasted on eBay on stuff i don't need. like a sticker... Image
Lights
Don't have any dash lights (all of them), If the dash lights are in the same condition as all the other lights have been, Im assuming they are all deteriorated and broke needing replaced, Not sure what would be the easiest way to get to them. Would really hate to take the dash apart and risk the chance of ripping the dash pad. Other things to note about lights that may have something to do with it (unsure), I may have wired the interior light wrong when I replaced it, (I haven't had the car in this close to running condition so it is hard to tell) when the door opens the light doesn't turn on, Switches look good. (unsure tho) and you can still turn the interior light on thru the overhead switch. Rear turn signals, brake lights, and rear side-markers are all replaced and work correctly. back up lights are replaced but reverse switch is not wired at transmission and havent turned on Lisense plate lights are both out. Front turn signals, headlights work but front side marker lights do not (have replacement side-markers coming in the mail) and my headlight switch is going out, meaning you have to jiggle the knob a little to get to its ideal contact to turn the lights on.

What I have left to do - Exhaust, install wideband, cover up the transmission tunnel and install shifter boot, Brakes finished, clutch and brake soft lines installed, fill transmission with oil, torque stuff to manufacturer recommended levels for safe operation :wink: anddd.... go to bed and get to work.

PS: Sorry for the rambling, its getting really late for me and I need to get to sleep. Some (see definition: All) words might not make any sense, but I hope you guys have a good night, or good morning
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Progress...
Bought a house, so car has been on the back burner but when I have had the time I've done some small stuff.

Steering box
Starting with the steering box, drained the oil with a big syringe and replaced with the only oil somewhat similar in my garage, replaced the breather plug with a 3/8 BSPT breather from McMaster-Carr #9847K13
From molasses to a nice honey.

Instrument Cluster
Spent the time figuring out how to remove the instrument cluster, refreshed the needles with some orange paint, cleaned the face of the cluster, burnt out a turn signal flasher and after multiple attempts of cleaning cables/plugs, fixing grounds and installing and uninstalling the cluster, traced :D down the broken traces on the back of the board and repaired them. And what do you know! all of the lights work, and also got the overhead light to work with the doors which was unexpected.

And here it is, some 16mm Instrument cluster socket holders for some GM/Mopar instrument clusters, some LED lights - green for the turn signal, natural white for the instrument cluster, and red for the dummy lights. Still have the colored lenses inside the cluster so doesnt make that much of a difference.

Trunk
Well, hoping to get the car driving and willing to cut a few minor corners to get the bigger stuff done. But that doesn't mean I cant have some fun so... Sticker bomb? Have had a bunch of these stickers for my future tool box, but now any stickers I get I will use to cover the damage and rust on this and when I get the money to fix the rear of the car, I will put on the clean undamaged trunk lid, and throw this one up on the wall of my garage.

Exhaust coming up
Did what I should have done from the beginning and instead of buying the cheap eBay header, Bought one of the competition headers from Troy Ermish, been 2 weeks, did get the order confirm and invoice but haven't heard anything since then, thinking they may have been busy with SEMA and anticipating some info on my order in the next week.
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

Looking good. Keep up the posts.
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Busy Busy Busy...

Its been warming up here in the PDX area, So I have actually been able to paint.
Heres my 2.25 Exhaust and the header I purchased from Troy Ermish. All painted with some high temp primer and paint.

Now here is the bad news.

In the process of taking the engine back out. Waiting to use my engine stand the L28 from the 280zx has been sitting on, trying to sell it but will more than likely be strapping it to a pallet and pushing it to the back of my garage since its been up for about 3 weeks. Have a feeling that the rear crank seal didn't sit flush so I'm taking it out and double checking (and replacing) it. (If I didn't rush the first time, I wouldn't have needed to do this.) New ARP head Studs since I reused the original head bolts, and while I'm at it considering changing out pistons and rods. And might put the oil slinger back on the front of the engine.

A long rod L18 sounds like a good upgrade, but i really don't have any idea.
Should I be looking for replacement L18 rods and Pistons. And running closer to stock or doing something like Jason Greys long rod L18 (L16 Rods, Z20(S?E?) pistons)

If I can avoid buying expensive custom made pistons I would like to, but if that is the only way to have a long rod L18 where and how would i be purchasing them? From what It sounds like the flat top Z20 pistons are not available. unless this Ebay Listing is the correct one. And has anyone had any success with the Hbeam rods you see on Ebay, they all have the same look, but with different names so its hard to tell if they are safe to use or are made in china clones of each other. Image

There good information out there about doing these upgrades, but a lot of the pictures are no longer available thanks to Photobucket blocking the images. Thanks for the support guys, sorry the updates haven't been as frequent as I planned. Life and work gets in the way.
back2klassic

Post by back2klassic »

Been thinking and looking up more information, looks like i can get replacement L18 pistons on rockauto, or get some 86mm flattops from an L28. Anyone running Flattop L18 with a closed chamber head? From what I can gather the compression ratio would not be too high for a regular street build that I would be potentially daily driving. But compression ratios are something foreign to me that I will be needing to learn more about.

Also running with 4G64 Pistons and L16 rods? Still looking into this more.