Gordy's ecotec 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
Sleepys-14

Re: Gordy's ecotec 510

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Thanks. My class is called Track Modified, and it includes every thing from turbo s2000's to ls swapped M3's. Here are a few pics that I can find of cars in my class.

Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I love seeing the progress, especially the aero. Kinda makes me want to do something similar...

I see that you are currently running Hankook RS3's. What are you running for pressures? I just picked up a set as DD/track day tires and am looking to get some help to get me in the ball park in terms of tire pressure.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Sleepys-14 wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:and to think Troy Ermish, BRE, and every other well know names in 510 racing history did it with only a front chin spoiler.

Did what with a chin spoiler? Raced competitively? I'm not sure I understand the statement?

The reason they don't use any of these aero things:
1. Vintage racing does not allow them
2. 99% of vintage racers are stuck in an old school mentality of "if John Morton or Troy Ermish used these components, then that must be the best there is"

And before the chin spoiler, they said the same thing. Why use a chin spoiler if it worked fine before that... and why would you use disc brakes in the rear if drum brakes are sufficient... and why would you use cv axles instead of slip joint driveshafts... and why would you use a steering rack over a steering box...

I'm not saying my car is perfect or better than anybody else's, but over the course of 40 years, cars have gotten faster and easier to drive. Many of these improvements are from suspension geometry and aerodynamics. I also understand that these aero bits on my car do not add massive amounts of performance, but it does help a considerable amount without loosing much top speed. Many older racers don't like or understand how or why you would do this to a car, but I also don't understand why they do the things that they do sometimes. Troy Ermish is the only living example that I know that can back up his shit talk about my car. And I actually enjoy it. He gives me shit about my aero and I give him shit about using all this old Datsun crap. He is an amazing driver and his cars are prepped amazingly well. Here is the comparison: His car is on the ragged edge of performance, as in needing constant engine rebuilds, race gas, race tires, and in general, high maintenance. My car has a very low stressed engine at 240whp, street tires, 91 oct and drives to and from the track events on the street. Similar times... Now it all depends on what you like, and personally, I would prefer my car at this point in my life.
My point was why they didn't do what you have done with aero that's it, didn't know the rules as I don't race but do own a highly mod 2-door for street use. Do what with a chin spoiler? win championships you don't know these racers? I'm not knocking your 510, its awesome and looks and sounds like a dream driver.

Go Get'm..
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Duke: I typically run 28-32 psi hot. Its a great tire for the price, but lap times are so-so with them. I would recommend them for any street car that use their car on track, but for a track car, I would go with something more aggressive. I will be running a more aggressive tire next year.

Three B's: I understand what your saying with other racers using the stock body and winning races. The one thing I can tell you, I wouldn't want to drive a 510 through turn 12 at Road Atlanta (120mph) without a rear wing... Sketchy to say the least. The biggest advantage of aero for me, is that you can run the wings at low angles if you want, and all it does is stabilize the car at high speed, making it easier to drive.
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

I think what you've done to, and with, your 510 is remarkable. Mind you, I would never in a million years cut into my own car like you did, but I don't have your vision or skills either. It's pretty incredible that you can run the times you do and drive it home.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Keep it up, once again this is one of my favorite builds!
looking for pass. side arm rest
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it is fundamentally a lump of metal, owned by you. End of story.

Best quote ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Sleepys-14 wrote:Just corner weighted the car and got her all ready for the racing year. The new swaybar, scrub, control arm lengths, flipped rear coils all feel great. All of the these things seemed to make the car feel much more tame and settled. A little easier to drive on the edge.
I've been watching your build and I really love what you've done with your car. I'm curious about your feelings on the DP Racing sway bar. I'm running the Futofab bar and am looking to lower my car a bit which will mean changing from it to something more like your sway bar setup.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Whenever I see a 510 with a big wing, it always reminds me of my friend - Malcolm McQueen!
The downforce is definitely needed for traction out on the lake. :mrgreen:

James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSrMcZ15Uk
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
510_on_ICE.jpg
510_on_ICE.jpg (249.58 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

McShagger510 wrote:Whenever I see a 510 with a big wing, it always reminds me of my friend - Malcolm McQueen!
The downforce is definitely needed for traction out on the lake. :mrgreen:

James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSrMcZ15Uk
Not to jack this thread, but watching this video is giving me the uncontrollable urge to move north so I can ice race in the winter...that just looks like way to much fun!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:
Sleepys-14 wrote:Just corner weighted the car and got her all ready for the racing year. The new swaybar, scrub, control arm lengths, flipped rear coils all feel great. All of the these things seemed to make the car feel much more tame and settled. A little easier to drive on the edge.
I've been watching your build and I really love what you've done with your car. I'm curious about your feelings on the DP Racing sway bar. I'm running the Futofab bar and am looking to lower my car a bit which will mean changing from it to something more like your sway bar setup.
Thanks! To be honest, I really don't like it much and it is definitely not worth the price. You are much better off making a custom one or remounting your futofab bar in a better position. I can say that futofab has some good parts and is one of the best place to get parts, but most of the other company's off the shelf Datsun performance parts are mediocre at best. By today's standards, the fit and finish, performance testing and overall quality is extremely low for what you pay. I hate to be so negative, but the quality just isn't there on such an expensive swaybar. Don't even get me started on the cv axles kits...

Can you share pictures of your swaybar and how it is going to be an issue for what you are doing with it?
Last edited by Sleepys-14 on 06 Mar 2017 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

McShagger510

I love it man! I love everything about this!!!!! Im not a big fan of wings, but I am a fan of racing... and if the car handles better with a wing, then it is justified.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

There are a couple of issues. I just got my struts shortened and before I did the swaybar was making contact with the crossmember at full compression about the same time I hit the bump stops.
At the same time it is almost coming in contact with the T/C rods.
I really like the Futofab sway bar but I am for sure going to need something different. If I just lower the bar the center section of it will be more than 3" below my crossmember and the lowest point on the car by a lot. I am going to remove it later this week and see if I can flip it and make it work but I think it would mean standoffs that are approximately 4" and would put the mounts of the bar lower than my crossmember. Also at the lowest point of the car. I am pretty sure getting a custom one made will be the way to go.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have an actual Mac Tilton bar on my Bronze car, but I too had to modify the stanchions due to clearance issues at the X member. The Mac Tilton bar is a single plane bar (1 1/16", no dip in the middle to clear the pan) that mounts and stanchions to the car and below the control arms on the outer ends. When I ran 13" wheels, the ends of the bar were just illegal, with 15" rims they are well within the ground height laws and rules (above the rim).

See the link below half way down the page of the machined stanchions I made, and an installed photo half way down page 27 in my build thrad.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=375

The stanchions are not the lowest part of the car, which is good. I too would be concerned if they were. As far as the ends of the bar being below the control arms, it's never posed a problem because it's rare to run over something with the tire and need a pile of clearance just inboard of the tire on our street cars.

Jeeze, looking back at those photos, the sway bar is the only thing still left on that car today (ITB EFI is gone, X member is gone, New LCA's have been made, new TC rods have been machined,Willwood brakes on A510 struts installed ect...)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.