New to site and Datsun

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
SMDonner

New to site and Datsun

Post by SMDonner »

Hello, I just turned 15 and am starting to look for my first car. I'm very interested in the Datsun 510. But before I buy the thing I want to know what I'm getting into, plus I don't have the money at the moment lol. I kinda just want to know the basics. My grandpa has a Datsun 66 (or 67 can't remember) wagon, so I kinda know a little about Datsuns. But I Just want to know what the pros and cons are pretty much. What's the avg. MPG for the 510's? Cost? Also, are they common/uncommon in central California? I hear a lot about engine swaps in the 510 is that something I should look into if I decide to get one? I really appreciate it if you took the time to read this and provide me the information and any other information is also very helpful! Thank you so much!!!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: New to site and Datsun

Post by okayfine »

Hello and welcome to The Realm. Please put your location in your profile, that way we know where you are once you move beyond this thread.

As to your questions, there's a metric ton of information here on this site, and reading through some of it you'll find answers to some of your questions, especially about engine swaps and the like. A 510 can be a great first car, but you have to have the right mindset in order to be happy with your decision. You have to be interested in things mechanical, and accepting of breakdowns, noisy cars, rattly windows, etc. If you're used to modern cars, a 510 generally isn't like any of that.

They're way more fun. So, to give you a taste of what you're getting into with 510s, let's start with this 510 Buyer's Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26137

Progress on to these Suggestions for New 510 Owners:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12575

Within that link above, pay special attention to The 510 Archives, which is 3.8GB of Datsun 510 information, including full back-issue sets of all three national 510 newsletters.

Once you've introduced yourself to the basics of 510s and 510 ownership, some of your questions will already be answered. We can answer any others that follow.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson