Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
72squirrel

Re: Keith Law's complete TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO

Post by 72squirrel »

Have to set something up one time. New to datsuns so always down for a chance to talk 510 with some experienced guys
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Matt and I decided to get out of Dodge yesterday, just go for a road explore and burn some smokie's over a fire. Nothing exciting but at least we decided waiting for good weather is a waste of time this year. We headed up the Chilliwack River, turning up to SLESSE MNT., to check out the trail head to the old Red Mountain gold mine. Good thing as it turned out the military has blocked off another section of the road, so our base hike would be even further. There was a foot of snow there so turned around and headed back and then towards Chilliwack lake. Lots of snow still there, could not get to the lake, must be two feet. You could see where the snow mobiler's have off loaded and then headed in. It was snowing above us and we expected rain soon. We headed back down the highway to where we saw a sheltered forestry site with no one there. The BIG stand of trees gave a great shelter from the rain that was soon to hit. We got a fire going for some warmth, as it was zero out at ground level. You may ask WHY we built outside of the iron pit. For some reason those pits are TWICE as high as most other's in B.C.. I think they did that for the Vancouver Red necks who think a fire should be 6 feet high. We built a small fire to roast and heat our smokies, then let the coals go down to nothing and then just pushed the remnants into the pit, you would never know we were there. Not long after we finished and went for a walk the skyies doubled their output of rain, so our timing was perfect. It was horrible heading back on #1 but at least no one did anything stupid.

Nice to get out.
Attachments
IMGP1974 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1974 (Medium).JPG (255.67 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1970 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1970 (Medium).JPG (324.25 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1969 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1969 (Medium).JPG (292.04 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1967 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1967 (Medium).JPG (341.25 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1966 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1966 (Medium).JPG (305.03 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1965 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1965 (Medium).JPG (249.91 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1964 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1964 (Medium).JPG (261.98 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1962 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1962 (Medium).JPG (341.16 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMGP1961 (Medium).JPG
IMGP1961 (Medium).JPG (255.3 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Back in the Fall, a new house was starting to be built two doors up. I saw all the scrap wood ends so I went and asked the head carpenter if I could have them. He said sure, they are going to get thrown out. I would go over after work and fill up some tubs of this wonderful fir, 2 x 4, 2 x 6, and 2 x 8. I now have enough to cover quite a few camping trips this summer. When you actually pay attention to how much wood waste is created with a HUGE new house construction, it is a bit of an eye opener.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I love the photo of the smokie on the bun with the fire in the background. I've taken many of those over the years. So many that it's become a bit of a joke between me and my friends. Regarding wood waste, I know exactly what you mean. I bought my house about 4 1/2 years ago. It was lived in by the builder for one year when I bought it and he had left a huge pile of scrap wood just the type you snagged. I happily piled it all carefully under cover and use it for camping too.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

I heard the snow was still over the yellow gate at Chilliwack Lake this week. Its going to be a later hiking season start here for us in this area. Cheam will be later also but the snow caves might be awesome this year.
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I camp with my sons scout troop at Cultas Lake next weekend. Chad - I'll bet that campground is still covered in snow being on the shady side of the mountain - correct?

I was up there a couple of weeks ago to take my international students around the lake, what a beautiful place!

Smokies look good Keith.

Your comment on the fire pits - man those things piss me off! My family freezes around the camp fire because those damn things shoot all the heat strait up! You need to build a 6' fire to get heat! Crazy. When in the patrolled campgrounds you are forbidden to light a fire outside the fire pit, so my answer over the years has been to drag one or two big wet logs to straddle over the top of the pit, then burn the fire on top of that. When living in a rain forest, it's pretty easy to find a couple went falls that will do the trick. It's my cheat - the family stays warm and I only get a strange sideways glance from the park rangers and wardens :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Byron,

I'm sure Chad will have a better report but I think you will be ok at Cultus. Anything with a tree canopy was almost devoid of snow at the lower elevations. Are you tenting?

Where Matt and I were there had 8" of snow out in the open. We also have a week of rain, so that will knock it down too.

I cannot imagine trying to cook over that stupid fire place, you would need nuclear coals to get the heat up that high, I wonder what they were thinking?

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Cultus is pretty much void of snow right now, so you will be ok for your outing Byron. Its in the higher areas that still have to melt.
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for the update Chad, good to know.
But I'll still be packing the woolies for my son and I as we are tenting it with the scout troop, and it's still getting close to freezing at night. What a crazy late spring this year.

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You need a Coleman heater......3,000 - 5,000 BTU

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-coleman-heater

I just bought one for my daughter to use. I have had mine for 40 years, originally bought to warm a small garage that I stored and worked on my 510 in. Matt and I put this in the foyer of our tent when car tenting and have been toasty warm in-5C. It can be used in enclosed space with a small air opening with NO issues. The modern propane ones give off too much moisture. The white gas ones are the ones to get.

Keith Law
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Hey there Keith...or Bert...

I'm only on page 3 of this thread but felt compelled to say thank you for sharing so many of your great memories with anonymous shlubbs like myself. I particularly enjoyed the recollection of your childhood memories and how vehicles, in one way or another, played a role. I'm sure most here can relate in one way or another, which could explain our affinity for 510s or whatever other vehicle that catches our attention (and wallets). A very nice film called "Love the Beast" was made a few years ago by Eric Bana (the actor guy) about his experience with cars growing up. I'm glad I'm not alone with my allegiance to the culture of cars.

The Vancouver area is somewhere my wife and I kick around as an alternative to Colorado. From your photos of off-roading adventures, it seems there are a lot of things in common between Vancouver and Colorado. Well, except there is more rain in Vancouver it would seem. Some of my favorite areas to explore are the trails cut into high elevation passes and river valleys for the mining industry in the 1800s, along with the long forgotten town sites that used to fill a role in the industry. As you could imagine, there are a lot of such places in Colorado. What I didn't expect was such a rich mining history in Vancouver.

While reading through your day cruises, I kept thinking of where to cruise here in Colorado. Cache la Poudre river canyon, Rabbit Ears pass, Trail Ridge Road, Million Dollar Highway, Ouray to Telluride, Berthoud Pass...all come to mind for great driving. Oh, and boosted cars rule here in Colorado due to our elevation.

If you are ever in Colorado, let me know. I owe you a burger and a beer.

Thanks again,
Clint
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Clint,

Appreciate that!

I am familiar with your area, only as much as my mother-in-law was from Golden. Her dad was the first blacksmith there and bought one of the first automobiles to be used there. I actually found the U.S. census records that showed the family and confirmed the birth date of my wife's mother, very cool actually. British Columbia has as rich a mining history as Colorado. Most of the places I write about and visit were originally trails that both the First Nations and then the prospectors used to traverse the country. Our mining records here are just fantastic as a resource, so I can track down and find some of these long lost treasures, specially the underground maps. There are still two mines I would like to re-visit, but as time goes by, the old roads are washing away or disappearing, making them even harder to get to. There are hundreds of mines within a 250 miles blast radius from Vancouver.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This past weekend, in line with getting out there no matter the weather, we headed up to Golden Ears Park, to head up the East Canyon trail.

We left White Rock in the sun, hit torrential rain and hail at 176th and #1, then heavy rain over the Golden Ears bridge, then light rain at the parking lot. It looked like it was snowing up higher!

After about 20 minutes it was snowing lightly on us, a mix of rain, hail and snow. The East Canyon trail is an old skidder road, so it is a steady climb to way above the water fall. As we headed down to the river we ran into snow on the ground, finally walking on about 2 - 3 feet. We did 6 Km on the snow, which was a real work out what with slipping and breaking through the hard crust.

We had a rocky beach in mind for our lunch stop, along the river, and when we got there, the sun almost peaked out. We had planned to build a small fire but decided to just eat and when we cooled off, time to head back. At one point the back side of the GOLDEN EARS peak cracked through the clouds...there is a LOT of snow in the mountains, considering we are heading to the end of March. We had cooled off so it was time to head back out. If you ever want to do a nice day hike, do this one. There are parts of the forest that are so green, even the air is green. It points out what our almost primordial rain forest would have looked like before we ever arrived. It was logged up there too and the trees were massive, just looking at the stumps.
Attachments
IMGP2002 (Small).JPG
IMGP2002 (Small).JPG (193.95 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP2000 (Small).JPG
IMGP2000 (Small).JPG (54.73 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1999 (Small).JPG
IMGP1999 (Small).JPG (167.17 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1998 (Small).JPG
IMGP1998 (Small).JPG (231.76 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1997 (Small).JPG
IMGP1997 (Small).JPG (203.24 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1996 (Small).JPG
IMGP1996 (Small).JPG (161.33 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1994 (Small).JPG
IMGP1994 (Small).JPG (116.32 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1991 (Small).JPG
IMGP1991 (Small).JPG (120.3 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1985 (Small).JPG
IMGP1985 (Small).JPG (192.39 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

a couple more
Attachments
IMGP2005 (Small).JPG
IMGP2005 (Small).JPG (236.6 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP2004 (Small).JPG
IMGP2004 (Small).JPG (199.8 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
IMGP1984 (Small).JPG
IMGP1984 (Small).JPG (175.69 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I've walked this family orientated trail many times to the lower falls - usually with family in tow. I didn't realize that this was a skidder trail - makes sense now considering the grade. I didn't realize the trail heads beyond the lower falls, must have missed that "right turn".
I have always wanted to to the west Canyon trail up to Alder flats, maybe even do a two day trek up the Golden Ears one day. I'm not in good enough shape to do it all in one day. The daughters scout troop did a camp out at Alder flats a couple years ago, maybe next year I can get them to do it again and I'll get my chance to join them.

Clint, having only spent a short while in Colorado (took in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb a couple years ago - crossed that off the bucket list), i was certainly reminded that this area is very much like the interior of British Columbia - dry and hot for the most part, with lots of beautiful valleys, rivers and forests. I was born in the interior of BC, and certainly love ot go back. The west coast here is quite different, being a rain forest until you cross that coastal mountains. The Pacific North West has it's own coast that is really quite unique in the world, ranging from northern Oregon to the south of Alaska, it's a completely different animal all together from the land on the other side of the coastal mountains. We are very lucky in that both ecosystems are within such a short drive for us, and we do take advantage of this on our cruises.

Byron