"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by icehouse »

I love racing!!!!! I know what you are thinking.... Why not put the S15 SR in this car and not the coupe. Although thats not a bad idea I feel I learn more about proper lines and the fastest route having a slightly underpowered car. I think I will build an all motor SR later but for now I have a great time with her. Last weekend we had 3 510's out there!!! Here are some pics. SO SO SO much fun!!

Most of the races lately have been in this kinda weather. Which basically means if someone group gets a decently dry set of runs they win. This day it was mostly just drizzly till the end. Everyones time was starting to improve. I ended up in second (in RWD) with a 1:09:95 A dude got few 10th's on me. At the end of the day they always let us do an hour or so of "bonus time" which doesn't count towards trophies, usually most guys leave so me and Sam and a few other hardcore dudes, do back to back laps and have a blast. Since it kept drying out I made it to fastest time of the day with a lap of 1:02:8 haha My setup does killer in the dry!!! Thanks Keith!!!!!!!!!!!

One side not: The dude who had a few tenths on me trailered his car, I'm always stocked when I'm the fastest car that drove to the track, it's also cool having my little mans seat in the back. Gives the car some perspective, old and a family car :)

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Jeff,

Glad it all worked out! Pm me with your take on things. You so remind me of 1975, when I first started.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Great day at the track on Sunday!!!! Nice and warm and a super fun track layout. It was the first sunny day since I've gotten the R888's, although I do wish they would heat up faster wow what a difference the sun makes!!! I ended up winning RWD class and also having the fastest lap of the day!! I did it my 5th out of 12 counted laps. I think I could have beaten it but there was a stop box that I was rev matching my car into first to gear. Sometimes my transmission wasn't happy so I decide to just bog second. Got within a few tens but couldn't beat that time.

Pic from Saturday. Hauling the family around.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

CONGRATS JEFF!!!!

You can send my cheque any time.... :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote:CONGRATS JEFF!!!!

You can send my cheque any time.... :lol:

Okay what's your address :)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

THe best part of auto x is getting that slip and beating your previous best. Last month I went out and on my last run of the day I put down my best run!
looking for pass. side arm rest
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Morning Jeff, good talking with you last night. Here is an article that is pretty straight forward.

One thing I forgot to mention, is make sure when you align the car, that YOU or the equivalent weight is in the driver seat and that your fuel level is at a level you normally run at Solo.

Have fun,
Keith

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

New seat for my DD racecar!! Wow!! Took me two days after work of tinker to get the seat mounted. It's a tight fit, touches the tranny tunnel and the door just slightly, just the seat padding. It's nice and low and center on the steering wheel though!!!!!!

Gotta keep the sparks off the glass and the interior!

duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

You will be amazed at what a difference a good seat can make. Also you may think about installing a harness of some kind. Being strapped in tightly and not having to brace yourself during a run is just one less thing to think about.

I like that you mounted it nice and low. My seat a also touches the door in the same spot just slightly. It's really hard finding a seat narrow enough these days to fit in our cars!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Duke I'm thinking the only way I can make something happen with fancy belts is if I bolt in a belt bar for race days and take it back out. It's my daily driver, gotta be able to haul the kids :)
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

You might look into something that would bolt to the unused shoulder belt anchor point in the c pillar. I think Schroth makes a belt that is designed to be mounted like that. One of the fast guys that I autocross with uses one in his WRX.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Thanks Duke I will look into that!

Another upgrade complete! Solid mounted the rear crossmember with the DP racing aluminum bushings. Nice parts, kinda tough to put back together since it didn't have any give. Tomorrow is Hot Import Daze, I'm racing in the autoX event. Can't wait to see how she does out there. Also a nice wash :)

my boy loves the 510!

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I see a problem........

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The solid mounts are WAY better! Yeah they add some noise to the cabin and I can hear the back lash in my diff now from on to off throttle. All things I was expecting. Something I was not expecting was more stability on the freeway. Like Keith advises I run a bunch of rear toe in. On our rutted out highways my car likes to wonder back and forth. Which I don't like at all. With the stock suspension just lowered my car basically was almost un-drivable at highway speeds. So darty!!!!!, It was hard to change lanes smooth. After doing to rack and pinion with more caster and less bump it felt miles better. Before these solid mounts I had the "Savage Washer" on the crossmember and I found some cup washers in a box that fit perfectly over the mustache bar I can only imagine they were made to restrict it's movement. Anyways after doing this I question what the "Savage Washer" even does. You could tell from the wear on the top washer/bushing thing that it had been moving all over the place.

Conclusion:

1. Yes it adds noise.

2. Worth the added feedback, stability and overall confidence on the track.

3. They were a bitch to put in. The flex of the rubber sure aids in assembly.

Would I install them on all my 510's?

I don't think so. Unless they are for track use it may be a little over the top. Like my coupe isn't going to get them. If it's more of a cruiser I don't see the need.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Many of us have solid mounted the X member. It sounds like your Savage washer wasn't installed right if it was moving around, like you noted. Was the upper washer still in place, the one between the body and the top side of the X-member?

In our cases, we remove the stock top washer altogether, and invert the bottom washer to push the X member right against the floor - SOLID. It works well and totally bypasses the rubber mount. And yes, you hear everything from the diff now. Also if your exhaust is solid mounted the X-member, you get this noise as well - increased when using stainless (how would I know). But it does work well and makes the car more crisp.

I, like a number of others, really want to get going on a the L motor R&P conversion. Many of us run comp pans, and I would like to retain this, but build a R&P system that goes around all of our "ancient" L motors. So much to do......

Glad you are out there enjoying your car, you're stepping over the edge. I see more brakes and then more power in your future. It always starts small :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.