How To Plan A Project

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Derek

Re: How To Plan A Project

Post by Derek »

I guess it is telling that I had a couple of less than successful project cars during my early 20s following my own lead...
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Derek wrote:Hey Julian, what about those who plan/analyze all day at work, and want our hobby to not have anything to do with planning/budgeting/worry? I like my personal projects to be fluid and run them fast and loose, making decisions as I go and not always understanding what I am up against until I'm into it. The may not be the cheapest or easiest way to do things, but it keeps it interesting for me and it lets me do the fun stuff as soon as possible.
Money trumps all on one side of the spectrum and skill trumps all on the other.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i found this site searching for wagon glass.
...still a 'project' today :(
okayfine wrote:
KaipoDa510 wrote:This is probably in my top five list of good advice....
I'd love to hear the other four.
the other, other 4 :lol:

hot metal and cold metal are the same color.

big stick no help? get a BFH!

if it jams - force it, if it breaks it needed replacin anyways.

check the cheap/easy stuff FIRST!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
iceD

Post by iceD »

Should have taken this advice when I read it ten years ago.

ice D
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

If there were anything I would add to this it is determination. It's a huge factor in success. The first thing is give yourself permission to make mistakes. If you expect nothing but perfection you're setting yourself up for failure. Often when a build hits it's first serious bump, I've seen even the most skilled, tooled up, deep wallet, and well organized folks lose forward momentum, their project stalls, and it becomes an anchor of shame. There are garages filled with project cars buried under laundry and storage boxes.

Determination doesn't mean working harder, it's simply the difference between working and not working. It's unrealistic to think the process will go exactly as you envisioned it, or be enjoyable all the time. Sometimes it's a total F'n nightmare, but the trick is you never stop working one step at a time. If you're focused on the end goal, your mind is in the wrong place. Focus on the task at hand, when that's finished check it off the list and move onto the next. If you hit a snag, curse, kick a few boxes around, then adjust the to do list and get back to work. Eventually you will look up and see your vision sitting right there in front of you.

Master Yoda said, "There is no try. You either do, or you do not".

Oh and never take your Dime to Fine Line Tuning in Santa Rosa. :lol:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

RonM wrote:If there were anything I would add to this it is determination. It's a huge factor in success. The first thing is give yourself permission to make mistakes. If you expect nothing but perfection you're setting yourself up for failure. Often when a build hits it's first serious bump, I've seen even the most skilled, tooled up, deep wallet, and well organized folks lose forward momentum, their project stalls, and it becomes an anchor of shame. There are garages filled with project cars buried under laundry and storage boxes.

Determination doesn't mean working harder, it's simply the difference between working and not working. It's unrealistic to think the process will go exactly as you envisioned it, or be enjoyable all the time. Sometimes it's a total F'n nightmare, but the trick is you never stop working one step at a time. If you're focused on the end goal, your mind is in the wrong place. Focus on the task at hand, when that's finished check it off the list and move onto the next. If you hit a snag, curse, kick a few boxes around, then adjust the to do list and get back to work. Eventually you will look up and see your vision sitting right there in front of you.

Master Yoda said, "There is no try. You either do, or you do not".

Oh and never take your Dime to Fine Line Tuning in Santa Rosa. :lol:
Well said RonM This is the exact motivation I needed to read. My project was not well planned and has been a nightmare. lol But Im still pushing forward.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel just have a few road blocks I need to address to continue on this roller coaster of a ride I'm calling a build. Time has been the biggest factor for me. And of course when you get to those parts of the build were you just don't have the skill set or the tools to continue. Fortunately for me I have few friends who have been very helpful in taking over those sections for me to push me further along in my build. Honestly with out those dudes I don't think I would have come this far. Well enough typing and I'm off to finally glue down that dam trunk rubber I've been
messing with now for a little over a week. Finally got it figured out. Now I just have to "do" and glue that shit down and move on to the next seal. Still got hit you up so I can come down and check out your ride.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
dat5102dr

Post by dat5102dr »

Label all parts and store correctly

Anybody familiar with these?
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

better pic more angles.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

that is the clip that holds the rubber seal on the bottom of the doors.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?