Windshield

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
heli006

Windshield

Post by heli006 »

The windshield that came out of my 510 4 dr is scratched badly with wiper marks. I have what looks like an un-laminated Chinese knockoff that I don't trust. I see rockauto lists one in the US. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they good quality laminated? Thickness? Anyone ordered one recently? Any other sources for good quality windshields? Thanks!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Windshield

Post by bertvorgon »

The Chinese ones are slightly thinner, and we found that it appears that the hardening or annealing of the glass has led them to get chipped quite easily. That being said, my Chinese one has been in there for a good many years with no other issues.

I have a Chinese one in my G35 and it has the same issues, just seemed to have chipped quite easily with normal road blast. I'm on the highway every day for 60 miles round trip, so it does get some rough use.

We did a group buy many years ago, so our local people have the same complaint, other than that..a new windshield is GOOD!
Last edited by bertvorgon on 20 Mar 2017 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

if that Chinese one is holding up on the dime could you sell me your pilkington ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Funny Guy....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

got to ask :P
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This could be a bad pre-summer season, what with all the crap on the road. Byron and I got our headlights wiped out on the Similkameen Mine hill one year, with all the winter sand/gravel left.

Maybe we need to "wrap" the 510's.

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

guy @ jf vision auto glass in richmond http://www.visionautoglass.ca/contact-r ... iew=mobile has ordered me a green Asian windshield for $250 ca
heli006

Post by heli006 »

Did anyone read my post?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

To be more specific...the factory windshield is 7MM thick with the Chinese ones thinner by at least a MM if I remember correctly.

. The Chinese one was P/N FW00204GTNFYG, at least the ones we got on a group buy.

ALL windshields have to be laminated and meet Federal Motor Vehicle Standards.

The English company makes a nice windshield, PILKINGTON but they are not cheap and maybe hard to get. The last group buy we did with PILKINGTON gave us a P/N# FW00204BTNN

I have no idea about the RockAuto ones, we are in Canada that did the group buy. Maybe someone else will answer your specific questions.

Edit: I just went upstairs and measured the two PILKINGTONS I have. One measured 5.6 MM and the other 6 MM, at the top and in the middle.

I have had NO leak issues with my Chinese windshield with a factory seal.

Keith Law
heli006

Post by heli006 »

Thanks, thats the info i was looking for. My chinese one is thinner to be sure. I realize they have to be laminated and I havent pulled it from the carton yet, just peeked at two corners and couldn't definitively see a lamination line however, if the glass was edge ground after lamination it could be hard to tell. Ill pull it out of the carton completely and inspect. I called pilkington and they don't have any, And have no plans to get any more made.
heli006

Post by heli006 »

RMS wrote:guy @ jf vision auto glass in richmond http://www.visionautoglass.ca/contact-r ... iew=mobile has ordered me a green Asian windshield for $250 ca
Do you know the thickness of the glass he is bringing in? I might want him to order me one as well.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That would be good, then we will have a range of the thickness's. James has a "NISSAN" one and he is going to check that.

In the bottom corner should be the Federal Motor stamp

Keith Law
heli006

Post by heli006 »

Regarding everyones issues with pitting on the thinner chinese windshields there are several options. The first is Clearplex, an optically clear film applied to the outside of the windows. Not cheap and for daily drivers would probably have to be replaced in a few years. The next is Diamon-fusion, a product that is applied and buffed on the exterior. Both can prevent pitting, chipping and cracks. The film is probably better for preventing pitting and chips and will show its age as the film takes the hit. Im looking at both now, got a price of $350 CAD here in calgary installed for the Clearplex, Not sure how much Diamon-Fusion will cost but I expect its less expensive.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I. Picked up a new chinese made windshield at Crystal Autoglass here in Calgary last fall for $250-ish. $350 for clearplex sounds like a bit of a profit maker shall we say. Wonder how bugs, dirt, wiper motion etc affect wear. Sure can't scrap ice or snow off it! Maybe they don't stick to this stuff.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

A windshield is a consumable in some ways, which is why I stocked up. Maybe we would be smart to buy a few of the Chinese ones while they are still being made, as it MAY come to a time where they are not. To me it is one of the most important things on the car, as a cop can fine you for a big crack here and if you cannot get a new one, your toast.

Keith Law