Latest front brake conversion kits

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
510tsunami

Latest front brake conversion kits

Post by 510tsunami »

I looking for a bolt on up grade front disc conversion kit for threaded struts with stock spindles, 13" wheels and tires. I've read posts from 2013 and older and they left me with more questions. Are there new posts on this subject? If there is a supplier could you forward contact information?

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Latest front brake conversion kits

Post by okayfine »

Do you want to keep your struts, and are they stock 510 struts? 280ZX front struts are the go-to upgrade, both for the bigger brakes and for the bigger wheel bearings. ZX brakes can fit under some 13" wheels.

Provided you want to stay on stock struts:

DP Racing
Part Number: 401-0506

Brake Kit, PL510 Front, Wilwood Dynalite Calipers, 10 1/4" Diameter Rotor. Kit includes Calipers, Pads, directional vane rotors with aluminum mounting hats, all hardware except for the brake line. Will fit most 13" Wheels fitted to a 510 small spindle strut and hub.

Price: $850.00
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510tsunami

Post by 510tsunami »

Thanks for your response okayfine, yes my intension is to keep the partially stock struts. I have adjustable/threaded collars on the top end, but the bottom half is pure stock. I am running stock 13" wheels and tires. Does this information affect the DP Racing part number you have provided? Regarding will fit most 13" wheels, would you know if this kit works with the stock 510 wheels?

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That DPR part number is for the stock 510 struts, your threaded collars won't affect that. Stock 510 wheels may be a problem, however, as there won't be much in the way of brake caliper clearance inside for those Wilwoods.

If the threaded collars are the only thing stopping you from the ZX upgrade (and you don't have fancy inserts or shortened housings), I'd strongly suggest just converting to ZX. Way cheaper, more brake than a stock 510 will need, readily available parts, and the aforementioned bigger wheels bearings. Adding a generic threaded collar is no big deal, or you could take your collars and move them over with a tube clamp. I've done this on my cars without issue, as have others here on The Realm.

But, then ZX brakes won't fit under stock 510 wheels.

For stock setups, I'd suggest a fresh set of rotors if your rotors have been skimmed, and a set of Porterfield street pads. See this DQ:

DQ Volume 3 Issue 3 - Optimizing the stock brake system - Looking to improve your 510's brakes without having to swap in larger discs or going to the hassle of an entire brake swap? The stock system can be made to work pretty well...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson