Front sway bar options and issues

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Front sway bar options and issues

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sup fellas I did a search and couldn't come up with the answer I was looking for. I was trying to find out if anyone knew what the thread pitch size is to where you mount the front sway bar to the frame rails? Ive used just about every spare bolt I have and unfortunately I could not find the right size. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by eastbaysolo_73 on 30 May 2018 21:07, edited 2 times in total.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
WxMan
Supporter

Re: Front sway bar mount question

Post by WxMan »

It appears to be M8x1.25.

When I got my car it didn't have a sway bar mounted in the front and in checking for you I've just discovered that one of the mounting holes has a broken bolt with the head missing in it. Bugger. One more thing to add to the list before I can start putting it back together...
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

WxMan wrote:It appears to be M8x1.25.

When I got my car it didn't have a sway bar mounted in the front and in checking for you I've just discovered that one of the mounting holes has a broken bolt with the head missing in it. Bugger. One more thing to add to the list before I can start putting it back together...

Right on thanks man. Really appreciate your input.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

So I'm reviving the this thread. I tried to install my Futofab SR/KA sway bar and it doesn't not fit. It makes contact with the cross member. Not happy about this at all. Does anyone know of another company that makes them for a SR swap? I don't want to modify it by welding anything on my frame rails to make it fit. I don't know how to weld lol..If I would have known that this was not a direct fitment part I would have not purchased it. I didn't see anything on there web site that stated that it requires modification to make it fit.. I know of a guy in SoCal who has them listed on Craigslist. They are a bit pricey at $300. I contacted him and he says it fits well and just about everyone he know who has used the Futofab bar has swapped it for his. That does sound great but he couldn't provide any photos of it mounted on any of his customer cars. So that instantly put a red flag on moving forward with his bar. Here's some photo of my current bar and what his looks like. Im hoping you suspension guru's can chime in on this.

Current Futofab sway bar

Memo's sway bar

And a link to his CL ad
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/p ... 19337.html
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Doing a search online I found this company. Anyone familiar with them?

Here's a link to there site.
https://www.dapsupply.net/products/fron ... atsun-510/
Bars look almost the same as the one I posted earlier just powder coated.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Front sway bar options and issues

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Here's the MadDat version designed for those who are running Greddy/Trust oil pan. Which I'm running.
Price is $336 AUS plus shipping. I sent them an e-mail to see what shipping cost would be.
I really like this one.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Finally got our test bar in! Felt nice around my "test track"

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I want one!!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

icehouse wrote: 31 May 2018 16:02 Finally got our test bar in! Felt nice around my "test track"

Dude your killing me ! I just spoke to you today via FB about going rack and now your tossing this shit in my face... lol Nice bro that looks sick.. How did you like it?
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

icehouse wrote: 31 May 2018 16:02 Finally got our test bar in! Felt nice around my "test track"

That looks really nice. Are there any modifications needed to install? It looks like it would easily clear the other bits on a low car.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 30 May 2018 12:08 So I'm reviving the this thread. I tried to install my Futofab SR/KA sway bar and it doesn't not fit. It makes contact with the cross member. Not happy about this at all. Does anyone know of another company that makes them for a SR swap? I don't want to modify it by welding anything on my frame rails to make it fit. I don't know how to weld lol..If I would have known that this was not a direct fitment part I would have not purchased it. I didn't see anything on there web site that stated that it requires modification to make it fit.. I know of a guy in SoCal who has them listed on Craigslist. They are a bit pricey at $300. I contacted him and he says it fits well and just about everyone he know who has used the Futofab bar has swapped it for his. That does sound great but he couldn't provide any photos of it mounted on any of his customer cars. So that instantly put a red flag on moving forward with his bar. Here's some photo of my current bar and what his looks like. Im hoping you suspension guru's can chime in on this.

Current Futofab sway bar
eastbaysolo_73,
Sorry to hear the sway bar didn't work for you.

I bolded / underlined a couple comments in your post that truly frustrate me with how people tend to communicate today. FutoFab tries extremely hard to be a good member of the Datsun community. We appreciate feedback and try to react positively to it, but the feedback with details needs to be sent directly to us to make sure we see it.

Your original comment we tried to address thru our website. On first contact in purchasing our sway bar online we state in the notes next to the buy now button "(May not fit all installations. It is suggested that the sway bar be purchased before any modifications are made.)"

There is also additional info about fitment on the site. This we didn't do so well in getting it to you. The text in the "Part" column is actually a hyperlink to more info about the part. This is not clearly identified. Due to your comment, we have taken the fitment warning note in that link and copied it to the "Buy Now" button page. Hopefully this will help future buyers.

The fitment of parts for engine swaps is always a crap-shoot when purchasing from different suppliers. Our front sump sway bar was designed in-house and test fit on my personal project car using a "flipped" front crossmember and a FWD SR16VE engine adapted to a dogleg 5 speed. We made the cuts for the flip as far outboard as possible, basically at the base of the engine mount pedestals. If the cuts are in board the bar will not fit and will hit the crossmember.

As with any modified car there are infinite ways to get the job done. Unless you buy a complete engine swap kit, there will inevitably be reworks and workarounds needed.

Here is where we cut the cross memebr to design our sway bar.

If your crossmember looks like this, our sway bar definately isn't going to fit.

Sorry for your troubles.

Here is a link on "flipping" the crossmember for a front sump engine swap.
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=15686
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Dave Patten wrote: 01 Jun 2018 13:51
eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 30 May 2018 12:08 So I'm reviving the this thread. I tried to install my Futofab SR/KA sway bar and it doesn't not fit. It makes contact with the cross member. Not happy about this at all. Does anyone know of another company that makes them for a SR swap? I don't want to modify it by welding anything on my frame rails to make it fit. I don't know how to weld lol..If I would have known that this was not a direct fitment part I would have not purchased it. I didn't see anything on there web site that stated that it requires modification to make it fit.. I know of a guy in SoCal who has them listed on Craigslist. They are a bit pricey at $300. I contacted him and he says it fits well and just about everyone he know who has used the Futofab bar has swapped it for his. That does sound great but he couldn't provide any photos of it mounted on any of his customer cars. So that instantly put a red flag on moving forward with his bar. Here's some photo of my current bar and what his looks like. Im hoping you suspension guru's can chime in on this.

Current Futofab sway bar
eastbaysolo_73,
Sorry to hear the sway bar didn't work for you.

I bolded / underlined a couple comments in your post that truly frustrate me with how people tend to communicate today. FutoFab tries extremely hard to be a good member of the Datsun community. We appreciate feedback and try to react positively to it, but the feedback with details needs to be sent directly to us to make sure we see it.

Your original comment we tried to address thru our website. On first contact in purchasing our sway bar online we state in the notes next to the buy now button "(May not fit all installations. It is suggested that the sway bar be purchased before any modifications are made.)"

There is also additional info about fitment on the site. This we didn't do so well in getting it to you. The text in the "Part" column is actually a hyperlink to more info about the part. This is not clearly identified. Due to your comment, we have taken the fitment warning note in that link and copied it to the "Buy Now" button page. Hopefully this will help future buyers.

The fitment of parts for engine swaps is always a crap-shoot when purchasing from different suppliers. Our front sump sway bar was designed in-house and test fit on my personal project car using a "flipped" front crossmember and a FWD SR16VE engine adapted to a dogleg 5 speed. We made the cuts for the flip as far outboard as possible, basically at the base of the engine mount pedestals. If the cuts are in board the bar will not fit and will hit the crossmember.

As with any modified car there are infinite ways to get the job done. Unless you buy a complete engine swap kit, there will inevitably be reworks and workarounds needed.

Here is where we cut the cross memebr to design our sway bar.

If your crossmember looks like this, our sway bar definately isn't going to fit.

Sorry for your troubles.

Here is a link on "flipping" the crossmember for a front sump engine swap.
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=15686
Dude I wasn't taking a jab at you our your business. I have bought many things from you guys and have had great success with them. Im not the best at wording things. But yes it didn't fit.. My cross member was flipped similar to yours with the exception I'm not running Datsun motor mounts. No hard feeling.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote: 31 May 2018 20:37

Dude your killing me ! I just spoke to you today via FB about going rack and now your tossing this shit in my face... lol Nice bro that looks sick.. How did you like it?
Dude we just tested it today in our racecar. It balanced out the car perfectly, very natural and easy to drive.

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

funwithmonkeys wrote: 31 May 2018 21:43

That looks really nice. Are there any modifications needed to install? It looks like it would easily clear the other bits on a low car.

It clears everything with ease. The only tough part is the mounting blocks need to be welded on. No big deal for some people, some people may not like it.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dave Patten wrote: 01 Jun 2018 13:51 Our front sump sway bar was designed in-house and test fit on my personal project car using a "flipped" front crossmember and a FWD SR16VE engine adapted to a dogleg 5 speed.
I don't want to thread jack but did you get the bell adapter from Guy Selle?