battery exploration

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
iceD

battery exploration

Post by iceD »

RMS asked "what are the best battery choices for a street 510 in your mind ?" I am wondering about cca and what is adequate for a bone stocker. And does anyone have an opinion on Interstate batteries.

ice D
RMS
Supporter

Re: battery exploration

Post by RMS »

with many questions unanswered around AGM's and the high cost of ions, a group 24 conventional led acid is the way to go. the group 24 is the most optimal led acid battery due to its construction (plate size and count). who to buy from and what manufacturer is up to you. costco has good price and easy return. I went with the federal group 24 @ $156.00 all in.....why because its black and the stickers are easily removed. :lol:

two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

RMS wrote:the group 24 is the most optimal led acid battery due to its construction (plate size and count).
Please elaborate on this!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

something to do with plate thickness and spacing gives the group 24 starting battery deep cell characteristics.
a smaller honda group 51 battery would have thinner plates to make the same cca as a group 24. thinner plates break easier than thick plates.
deep discharge will kill smaller starting battery's faster than a group 24....many Hitachi's with blown diodes will back up my story.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Cool. Thanks for the breakdown. I'm now a fan of Group 24 batteries too!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

One caution, on the Costco interstate battery, the one they carry, has the polarity's reversed from what you need for a 510. I went with the one from Walmart because of the correct terminals. Note, that there is only a few manufactors of lead acid batteries in the US, with Johnson Controls the major one. They just rebrand them, I.E. Interstate.