Carburetor problem

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Doraemon
Supporter

Carburetor problem

Post by Doraemon »

Since I saw some dirt laying under the the float room I decided to clean up the carburetor ( probably never been cleaned). Its a carb with a Nikki brand on the glass. I opened up the glasswork and upper part of the carb and the venturi's and some jet needles. Rinced it with brake cleaner and compressed air and put it back together. Didn't touched the adjusting needles and gaskets looked good.

Now just started the engine and it only runs on the choke. When I hit the pedal it will rev for a second ( runs on the accelerator pump gas). But then starts to drop RPM and a bwhooop sound. Doesn't matter on which angle you give acceleration. And when I peek in the carburetor I don't see gas sprayed in when I give the throttle a bit.
Took off the upper carb part and opened and closed down the screws a bit and the needles. But still no luck.
Maybe there is a leakage so the gas isn't sucked into the carb ? Floater level is correct though :)

Any one an idea what could happened ?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Carburetor problem

Post by bertvorgon »

I would suggest that you have blown something into the main fuel jet/passage.
Or something got to the bottom of the air bleed.

Try back blowing some air if you can.

What carb is that? Is there fuel in the float bowl, should be up about halfway on the glass.

Try, with the engine running at idle'ish, slowly open the secondary by hand and see if it picks up. If it does, your primary main circuit is plugged.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Thanks for the reply Bert ! The carburettor says Nikki on the glass. Didn't got time to look at the carb until this evening. Tried to blew some compressed air in the hole exits to blew any partial dust back. But then I found out that I screw the venture piece upside down in the carburettor and changed it. Will put the carburettor back on the car over two days probably and have another try. :)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That should help! :lol: We have all done something like that over the years.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Big learning moment :lol: This evening put the carb back on and started it. And it runs great again ! Its a great reminder to mark stuff how things were sitting together.
James

Post by James »

Take photos as you go with your phone. Makes it a lot easier when you get back to something 2 days later....
Finished is better than perfect......
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Funny thing is that I made pictures. But this piece actually fits both ways :mrgreen: But happy found the problem instead of just buying a new one.