Knox Mountain Cruise 2017

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Knox Mountain Cruise 2017

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Gang,

Jason, I will be feeding onto #1 at Mt Lehman, I do 16th out from White Rock, then to Fraser Highway. You or I could wait just after it feeds onto #1. I do plant to cruise about 4,000 RPM, which is only about 60 - 65 MPH, so if you need to blast off, feel free.

Steve, Make sure you bring some water, as once you leave the pit area there is none. Same with snacky food/lunch. My plan would be hang about for a few hours, then head to the top, watch at Turn 9 for a few cars, then down to Turn 8 which is at the end of the straight. Have lunch on the bank at Turn 7, then work way down the hill. APEX trail takes to the top. Trail is just dirt and gravel, so wear appropriate foot ware. Be ready for any sort of weather, although the long range looks to be good and NOT smok'in hot.

http://www3.telus.net/fkmp/img/trail_map.jpg

Due to the car show I do want to be back in the pits by 2:30 -3:00 at the latest
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

While I think of it.....

WEAR NO RED

No red packs or shirt/jackets. I have always found this really stupid, having actually been a driver blazing up the hill..I can distinguish between a civilian wearing red and a red flag.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

May want to join the group to go up. I will send you a PM
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

So,i went to move my car to do some pre-trip stuff, low and behold no clutch... seems the master is bypassing. Going to see if I can source one tomorrow.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I think we are all good to go. My car is safely hidden for the night, Jamie and Greg got their bus sorted, so off we go before dawn.

Jamie will wait at the SUMAS exit..parked just off the Freeway, I should hit there about 4:40. We will stop for fuel at Hope, Jamie needs to top up and I will put my cold plugs in for the long climbs up the passes.

Our plan is to leave Kelowna about 5:00 PM, fuel up at the Chevron, should get us back at dusk. Sun sets at 8:45.

I have some tools and spare spark plugs, that's about it.

Once we leave Hope we will keep the speed to 105 -110 KPH, that is 4,400 RPM for Jamie and I.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I do plan to stop in Westbank and wash the car at that car wash there, should only take 15 minutes or so and wipe the car down..must look good after all. I have lots of change.

Keith Law
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Ok sounds good, we may detour sometime during the day to head to Vernon to see family, but will return to see the bulk of the racing. I will also have tools and such for basic repairs. See you guys on the road!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is a picture from 1997 at the finish line, Jamie and I hope to duplicate that tomorrow.

Mine is #4, Jamie #47
Attachments
028.jpg
028.jpg (178.86 KiB) Viewed 4908 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

3:10 Am...Why do these days start so early? Skies look clear at this point, hopefully we do not run into any fog in the mountains. We should be ok by the time we get to the Connector, I do not want a repeat of last year.

See you all in an hour or so.

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

^ Because some silly person likes to leave at the hour of F++k Me!! :-)
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Epic drive yesterday! My daughter and myself had a great time thanks Keith, Jamie and James.Nice to meet you guys and to do the "hill climb" would not have found all the perfect viewing places without you. Nice to meet you as well Steve. Other than getting my exercise at 4:40am we had a trouble free drive.
(Hope I passed the "test" Keith?)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Your IN, man!

Story and pics to follow.

Keith Law
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

bertvorgon wrote:
As always, everyone looks forward to hearing about your guys adventures.

I notice this year there was live timing at Knox. Good god cars are getting fast, look at the rx7 and the m3. Both "slightly" warmed over I presume.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0

This said trap speed at end of first straight - start line to corner 1?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0

Jim
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

bertvorgon wrote:Your IN, man!

Sounds like there were a lot of stories. I see a lot of " Did Not Run " in the results. That usually means one of two things....
gooned

Post by gooned »

Hope you guys had an uneventful drive home, was a long day and I only drove an hour from the hill. Great to hang out with some familiar faces and meet some new ones! I took a look back at the years I ran, was 93-94 in the org/wht and then again in 01 when Sean flew over to share blackie...super fun events.

Looking at the trap speeds, buddy got something big working in his favor on that M3...171mph up the hill!

Richard - turn 9 was eating cars like mad on Sat while we were there...something like 5 came down on the truck, not so good.