510 2 door... diff posi question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
rdanard
Supporter

510 2 door... diff posi question

Post by rdanard »

I have a 1970 2dr 510 KA24de

Just got the car on the road for the first time this weekend. It had a open r160 with 3.7 gears. There's so much power with the KA that I'm just doing one tire fires around every corner and launching.

I've done a lot of research and finding lots of old posts, but I'm asking you guys what your running or what's a good swap to get a posi or lsd??

Much appreciated, Ryan
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 510 2 door... diff posi question

Post by funwithmonkeys »

The Subaru R160 is probably the most common swap. They are pretty easy to find with a Limited slip and all you have to do is swap the axle stubs.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
rdanard
Supporter

Post by rdanard »

Thanks, I'll look Into it more. I've always wondered why they havnt made a locker or "lunch box" style kit like they do for 4x4s.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Most are going to STI r180 for datsuns because they are plentiful and stronger.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Subaru STI R180s can be found with Torsen and clutch type mechanical LSDs in different ratios in different years.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

You just need to be aware the STI axle spline count is different and will require a modified diff axles with the correct spline count to bolt up to your dogbone halfshafts or CV axles. There are newer Subi diffs with correct spline count in LSD trim but I don't know which years. I'm running a R180 with 3.54 gear from a automatic Z car behind a 180hp SR20DE S14 engine and it's a one legger and works great, granted I can make a lot of smoke but choose not to what's the point in killing a good tire? I don't track or autocross it any longer so don't see the need for LSD but!!! I do have a R160 LSD with 3:70 ratio that's in great condition I used to run but removed it for the R180 because I thought it was going bad only to find out later it was an exhaust clamp bolt hitting the underbody that made it sound like the diff crap!!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/327981873 ... =bookmarks
These stub axles looks like the easiest was to get a newer LSD. If this guy has none as this is an old post I'm sure futofab sells them.
rdanard
Supporter

Post by rdanard »

Thanks for all the support! Defiantly going to keep my eye out for some wrecked subarus....
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

MikeY wrote:https://m.facebook.com/groups/327981873 ... =bookmarks
These stub axles looks like the easiest was to get a newer LSD. If this guy has none as this is an old post I'm sure futofab sells them.
Futofab does sell them.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

JordanTr wrote:Subaru STI R180s can be found with Torsen and clutch type mechanical LSDs in different ratios in different years.

Since the topic came up....and this is a good place to post this. Has anyone here actually tried the Subi R180 Torsen diff in their Datsun? I received a phone call from a local 510 guy who found one, but noted that the spline input on once side of the diff appeared to be a stepped spline.
My first thought was how the hell do you machine a stepped spline and why would it need to be there. But I'm sure there is a reason.

I have not seen the application myself, has anyone had their hands on this diff, and will Dave's stub axles from FutoFab work with this diff?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Byron510 wrote:
JordanTr wrote:Subaru STI R180s can be found with Torsen and clutch type mechanical LSDs in different ratios in different years.

Since the topic came up....and this is a good place to post this. Has anyone here actually tried the Subi R180 Torsen diff in their Datsun? I received a phone call from a local 510 guy who found one, but noted that the spline input on once side of the diff appeared to be a stepped spline.
My first thought was how the hell do you machine a stepped spline and why would it need to be there. But I'm sure there is a reason.

I have not seen the application myself, has anyone had their hands on this diff, and will Dave's stub axles from FutoFab work with this diff?

Byron
A friend of mine runs a torsen lsd diff, can't remember if it's a 180 or 160 and he didn't seem to have any issues with it. He's out of contact at work but ill ask him the next chance I get.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Byron510 wrote:

Byron

From this particular guy's breakdown, the axle stub with two sets of splines cut onto it seems to be related to the viscous-coupled limited slip differential. ---> https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=2597453

Again, there is more confirmation that the double-splined axle is related to the VLSD setup ---> http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40754 ... onversion/

more cool shit. ---> http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40773 ... cv-joints/
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Im running a R180 Torsen in my 510 from a 2014 Subaru STI. I got my stub axles from John Williams for $300 +shipping. Look him up on FaceBook.
He's the original guy who makes them. So there's no middle man to pay which is why he sells them a lot cheaper than other folks. Hope that helps?
IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7429.JPG (184.47 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Cool! Thank you for posting this! I just sent an note to John Williams inviting him to chime in here.
datrod

Post by datrod »

For the folks that might need a set of side axles I have them stock. I have 6 pair in stock. $300.00 per set plus shipping. World wide shipping.

There are a couple other sources for these axles. But they all have copied my design. I started making these back in about 2007.

You can contact me thru facebook or e mail. facebook John Williams.
e mail wmi73@verizon.net

Thank you.