R13 Tire Options

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
VelvetHammer
Supporter

R13 Tire Options

Post by VelvetHammer »

hmm, like my brake pad post, I couldn't find a current thread on this either. Maybe I don't know the finer points of search, or maybe nothing has changed in a few years. It doesn't look like there are many options out there for us R13 folks.

R888 vs RA1 seem to be the only tires left?

My current set of tires are Khumo V700s which are 16 years old and flat spotted from sitting for the last 9 years. I remember those were really great once warmed up and they lasted about 12,000 miles of banging through canyons and a very long track day.

I did some extensive googling and it seems the RA1s come out ahead for the "mostly street car with occasional track day" use.

I'm seeing them for $652 shipped at Tire Rack.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cory
icehouse

Re: R13 Tire Options

Post by icehouse »

I have a set of RA1's but they are mounted on 13x8 zero's... Which non of my 510's can run :( My bro said he would swap them to different wheels but after giving it a shot on his tire machine at work he was scared they bead might rip. So as of now I haven't gotten to try them. The one thing that sucks is they are the same height as my 15's with 195 50 15's. I want the R888 225 45 13's for daily driving and the 225 45 13 Hoisier A7's for autoxing.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

icehouse wrote:I have a set of RA1's but they are mounted on 13x8 zero's... Which non of my 510's can run :( My bro said he would swap them to different wheels but after giving it a shot on his tire machine at work he was scared they bead might rip. So as of now I haven't gotten to try them. The one thing that sucks is they are the same height as my 15's with 195 50 15's. I want the R888 225 45 13's for daily driving and the 225 45 13 Hoisier A7's for autoxing.
when I restored my car I had my OEM steelies widened to 6" and adjusted the offset so I didn't have to roll the fender and so I could keep my hubcaps. I now run 205/60 R13s. I had my rear arms notched/ boxed so I could run a wider tire back there if I wanted to but I'd need to widen my rims to 6.5 or 7" to fit the rubber "properly".
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

funwithmonkeys wrote:there are these also.
http://www.nankang-tyre.com/index.php?a ... il&item=12
Thanks for the heads up, they look like a compelling tire based the reviews and price point.
I can't seem to find any sellers in the US yet, so the shipping costs knock them out of the game a bit.
But I suppose that'll change soon enough.