"Hey" my daily driven race car!

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: "Hey" my daily driven race car!

Post by icehouse »

Sam has an L motor in his car. Just gotta go front sump. Ain't no thing! haha :)

Yes more brakes, more power more more! I like trying to get 1 upgrade per race. It's fun see what each item does. Next I want to put heim joints for end links on my sway bar. Gotta take a trip to the spares department at work :)

I'd also like to do another alignment at my bro's work. I have an idea I want to try. :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

At the last two autoX's I've had brake issues. My rear brakes were locking up on me, which sucks because I love trail braking. Of coarse it's always hard to decide which route to go... Upgrade or replace with stock... Well of coarse I decided to upgrade with a DP Racing pedal box I picked up years and years ago. The installation went alright. The studs for the master are imperial which I hate, also the master cylinder adapter fittings. Those I had to re tap so my brake lines would fit since the 510 uses M10x1.0 I machined a backing plate to spread the load. Here are some pictures of the project. I hate how the brake lines look but until I pull the motor they are going to stay like this.

Future location of the turbo!

grip tape

New mirror. Thanks Ted!

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Did you take a photo of the balance bar arrangement at the pedal itself on the inside?

I'd be curious. I just did a M/C replacement ion my brothers car this weekend and cringed at the though of installing a cheap Chinese made unit that i absolutely do not trust - given the track record that these have. But the Raybestos sold unit is the only one I could find.

Thanks Jeff.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Here you go buddy!

The pedals are from DP racing about half way down this page. http://www.dpracing.co/brakes

Here is the balance bar. I haven't installed the remote knob yet. Working on a new "radio" bezel for the dash. Gotta make it two piece so I can 3D print it at work.

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Hey Jeff

Can you measure from the firewall forward to when the steering link angles over to the crossmember. I think this would give me a good idea if your set up would clear my DP.

No big hurry, just next time your getting dirty.
looking for pass. side arm rest
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

PoorMtnKid wrote: Hey Jeff

Can you measure from the firewall forward to when the steering link angles over to the crossmember. I think this would give me a good idea if your set up would clear my DP.

No big hurry, just next time your getting dirty.
Will do buddy!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Me and Sam installed some Tomei cams that Clayton gave me. Kind of a bitch to put in. They delete the oil pressure intake cam timing advance. They pre advance the intake timing which makes it a tough because all of a sudden the cam lobes aren't on the low sides. We got it though! Over all the power feels way better and it sounds like it has sidedrafts on it. I also ordered a Nissan cap and rotor. little by little this 510 is becoming a beast!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Another fun day at the track. It was looking like I was going to get 5th place overall but on my last session I was able to pull of an amazing time. Mind of matter is all it takes. The way they had the coarse start you had to turn a pretty sharp 45 degree angle. I kept hitting it faster and faster until I realized I think I could just hit it at full throttle in second and take the corner at 60MPH WOW! Kinda scary but it gained me .70 seconds on my less than a minute lap time! It was my first event with my new R888R's which seem way better than the older ones. I feel they heat up faster and have a stiffer sidewall. The only car to beat me is a S2000 with a E85 turbo setup, he laid down 701HP on the dyno! It has staged boost so he can get traction. Here is a pic of his engine. Rad car and a super nice guy. So I basically need a turbo setup haha!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

racecar!

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Halloween Pumpkin! R190 with 4.44 gears. Finally!!! So much better to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My boy dressed up, so cute gotta post a picture.

gooned

Post by gooned »

Always a fun time with the kids!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

New diff was great! 2nd in RWD today!! .03 seconds behind first, which I had two runs faster but they claimed I hit a cone. One of the laps for sure the other one I'm pretty much 100% sure it was already knocked over. Either way, super fun day! Can't wait for the next race.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Jeff,

As I have long said, gears are the cheapest form of HP! That is why I went with 4:6 rear gears. just keeps the engine up in the power band everywhere.

Congrats!!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Jeff,

Have you listed your suspension setup included alignment settings anywhere on the Realm yet? Would love to see a summary of what you have and what settings you are running today? Seems like they are working well for you and might for others.

Cheers,

Ryan
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

TheHeretic wrote:Jeff,

Have you listed your suspension setup included alignment settings anywhere on the Realm yet? Would love to see a summary of what you have and what settings you are running today? Seems like they are working well for you and might for others.

Cheers,

Ryan

I basically copied everything Keith said we should do. Although some of his settings I wasn't able to achieve. I only run 4 degrees of caster right now, and way to much camber in the rear, I think 3.7 degrees of camber in the rear. Hopefully by next summer I will have everything how I want it. Narrowed rear control arms, more caster, and 13" wheels. Hey a boy can dream :) Also my roll center and ackerman is different than Keiths car because of our rack and pinion. Here are my setting as of now.

Front:

Zero toe
2.8 degrees of camber (had to run that much due to tire rubbing)
4 degrees of caster (ish measurement because my bro's alignment rack at work doesn't go narrow enough for my car...)

Rear:

Mass toe in. (Whatever Keith said the max setting should be)
Camber 3.7 (again tire rubbing issue)