Throwout bearing question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
farmer_fred

Throwout bearing question

Post by farmer_fred »

Dogleg 5-speed, L16. The new throwout bearing (no-name China) looks a bit different thank the old one, and appears it will ride a little further out from the center of the pressure plate based on wear marks:

Old bearing in my hand, new in the bell housing:

wear marks on the pressure plate:

I just want to make sure this will work before I bolt in the trans.

TIA
RMS
Supporter

Re: Throwout bearing question

Post by RMS »

the new one will work fine but I would change out the clutch cover
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If the one on the left, it does look like an original bearing. The one on the right does not.

These are parts that are high wear and hard to get at. Saving $8 bux on a POS Chinese made bearing is asking for trouble. Now if this was a wheel bearing that can be easily removed in about 10 min it wouldn't matter so much but if this fails, the transmission must come out and all the work associated with it. What's your time worth???

Nissan ones are about $40 so NAPA should be about half that. Get 'made in Japan' or name brand parts that are for critical use. Same with brakes... don't cheap out.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Mike, I might have to disagree with you as the one on the right is an original diameter L16 TO bearing used on 510's.
The one on the transmission is a later 225mm TO bearing used first on the pick ups.
As Robyn noted, both will work. But they will feel different to the driver. You may not think it, but the large diameter contact area of the larger style bearing will increase pedal effort on the same given pressure plate. This is due to the reduced leverage on the clutch pressure plate. Having swapped one to the other personally, it does make a difference. It's not huge, but it's noticeable.

As for the wear on the pressure plate fingers, that's pretty normal. Wear really depends on how the clutch was adjusted and how much the driver rests his foot on the clutch

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
farmer_fred

Post by farmer_fred »

Thanks guys. No one around here seems to be able to get anything but Chinese/Taiwanese bearings (and the one that came out was a NTN with no country of origin).

I'll call around further and hit Ebay.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yes, I'm more familiar with the left ones. The L16/18s used the right. The L20B and up used the left. Still say go for quality for hard to get at parts.

NAPA, O'rielies, Rock Auto, Nissan, Lordco, Hartman, Advance, Bumper to Bumper, someone will get you the right one.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The NTN one would be Japanese made, and I would trust the quality therem- provided it's the right part in the first place :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
farmer_fred

Post by farmer_fred »

datzenmike wrote:Yes, I'm more familiar with the left ones. The L16/18s used the right. The L20B and up used the left. Still say go for quality for hard to get at parts.

NAPA, O'rielies, Rock Auto, Nissan, Lordco, Hartman, Advance, Bumper to Bumper, someone will get you the right one.
O'Reily's is the source of the one on the left. I'll keep looking.