B.C. BURNS

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
gooned

Re: B.C. BURNS

Post by gooned »

Noel found a picture of his place still standing so that's great, no word on how the Beaver Valley is making out yet...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks for the update, Betty and I were hoping for the best!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Amazing to read & hear about all of that out West. One of our stores was closed in Williams Lake.

In the East, specifically Ottawa we've been getting incredible amounts of precipitation. Record breaking rainfall in April, May, and July. In mid July we already beat our annual average rainfall with close to 5 month to go.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I was up at almost 7,000 feet yesterday, and still could not see any peaks or up the valleys, just crazy how thick the smoke is. My throat is a bit gritty just from the hikes we did and camping out up high like that.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Can see less than ten miles out here. Sun rises red turns orange. Sun is so filtered it doesn't feel as hot on the skin. Haven't seen the mainland for over a week.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What we saw..blood red sunrise..but..the sun did not appear till 7;00 where were were, then same at sunset around 8:30 under the ridge before us. Then in the middle of the night, no stars but a blood red full moon.

I am working on my story of our trip, we had an wonderful encounter with one of natures more rare and elusive creatures.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The drive up from the coast to Kamloops last week wasn't good. Smoke the whole way. Kamloops was bad with vision ending at 6-8 blocks distance. We just fueled up, got a weeks groceries and headed north. I spent the week fishing at Heffley Lake, on the road up to Sun Peaks resort - clear as a bell on a cool morning out there for last week.
But the drive back through Kamloops was horrible. The smoke was so thick that you were loosing definition at about one blocks distance. Vision ended at two city blocks. People were wearing bandanas and dust masks over their faces. It was really bad. You guys thought an index of 7 at the coast is bad, I feel for the people in Kamloops and around the fire!
We headed south to the Okanagan for our last few days. It was still smokey, but significantly better.
And we still have another 8 weeks of fire season - everyone's doing the rain dance for sure. The government even closed all the back country to any motorized vehicles. There is absolutely no leaving the forestry service roads now. And it's dry! We drove east from Penticton over the mountain range and into Myra Canyon. It was supposed to be a forestry service road, but it was a goat trail! However the Armada did well with eight passengers on board. It was a bit rough on the paint as the trail was about 2 feet narrower than the truck. But it was dry, so dry that absolutely everything up there would burn and seconds if given the chance of any ignition source. You definitely did not drive into the grass with the vehicle! I've seen dry conditions in the interior, but this was crazy dry. Every creek was dry, every lake and marsh was low or dried out. You really have to be extremely careful when conditions are like this. I can see why they closed down bush to the public.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
gooned

Post by gooned »

M&D were evacuated again, but are hanging in there as of today. Less than half of last years hay due to drought...

We spent the long weekend up in Faulder, just behind Summerland, was better for smoke on Sat but by Mon night was socked in too, Merrit was not to be seen from the Coq. Really bad for sure.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm hoping this weather system does blow in on the weekend, as I am camping again next week. Would be nice to see blue sky and mountains again.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

These fires continue, yesterday the CBC reported that 19 fires have now combined to make one big fire, which at its widest point is now 114kms wide. The fire also has the distinction of being the largest wildfire recorded in BC history.
The folks of the interior of BC continue to struggle with poor to extremely poor air quality, and there is still no end in site with prodominatly hot and dry weather continuing.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.