i need help identify a transmission

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
510Wagon71

i need help identify a transmission

Post by 510Wagon71 »

Hi.

Can anyone tell me what transmission this is?
And if it fits my 510 wagon?

All i know its a 5speed with normal shift pattern.
If there is anything i can measure or do to help identify the box just let me know.

image host
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: i need help identify a transmission

Post by datzenmike »

It's an L series FS5W71B made after '79.

That narrows it down to '80-'83 280zx, '80 720, '80 810 or '81-'84 Maxima.

The trans mount narrows it down to Maxima or 720, the zx was totally different.

The single reverse light switch narrows it down to n 810 or Maxima. The 720 had multiple switches for emissions with a carb system.

It has what I would call a mid ratio gear set with a 3.321 first gear. Over drive is 0.864 or 13.6%. Not too much for an L16 to pull.

No it does not fit your 510, BUT only because it is 5.5" too long. It can be made to fit though. Shorten your driveshaft or use a 510 sedan driveshaft as it is within 1.1" of the proper length. You will also need to replace or modify your transmission mount lower. I think you can still buy them custom made.

You can remove the tie downs for the speedometer cable and pull it up into the engine compartment. Then feed it down behind the head over the top of the transmission and to the right rear. It's plenty long enough to reach. I've replaced the same 26.5" 4 speed with a 31.5" long zx 71B 5 speed and the speedometer fits perfectly.

MAKE sure you use your 510 release bearing sleeve or holder or collar. You can keep the 71B clutch arm if you want but not the collar. Use a new release bearing, don't get the cheapest, these are hard work to get at to replace again. Use the slave that is on the 71B transmission. It never needs adjusting.

While the old transmission is out replace the $4 pilot bushing in the end of the crank. While you have the 71B pry the $5 output seal where the driveshaft enters the tail and tap in a new one. Grease it before installing the driveshaft spline so it doesn't start up dry.
Last edited by datzenmike on 14 Aug 2017 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510Wagon71

Post by 510Wagon71 »

Wow, thanks for the information.
It helps a lot, but i still have some questions:

Its a euro transmission if that is a thing ..
I was told that the mission is from a 180B, so is that possible?

Shorten the driveshaft is a possibility, but i have to send it to a shop on the other side of Norway.
Is all the 510 sedan shafts the same, so it does not matter which year or how many doors it has?

Can i use this custom mount?
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/ ... sion-mount
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I still say it's an '80 or newer transmission because it has a reverse check sleeve on the tail shaft.

My info is iffy on European models so take this with a grain of salt... It may have been in a 180B ...this is the European equivalent of our L24 powered inline six 810 here, but shorter as it only came with a 4 cylinder engine. In Europe the 180B had an L18 (hence the 180B) it also had an SSS option with dual SUs and probably where the 5 speeds came from.

After the 810 was the 910 around '78/'80. Research if there was an '80 or newer 180B, possibly it was also called a 910? in Europe. If so this is more likely where it came from.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/ ... sion-mount This is exactly the one I was talking about. Or make your own.

Mark the input and put put splines and place in first gear. Turn the input 20 times while counting the output turns.

5.5 turns....... wide ratio
6 turns......... mid ratio* I expect this is the one you have.
6.6 turns....... close ratio
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
James

Post by James »

Mike - Thanks to you for you wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share!
Finished is better than perfect......
510Wagon71

Post by 510Wagon71 »

+1 what James said..

It seems like the 180b SSS was sold in Norway in 1980, so i guess that the box is from that car.
Counted the turns and it is excactly 6turns.

I will not use the car on the salty winter roads here, but store it.
So all the changes to the car will happen in the winter months
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Makes sense. What little I know comes from two guys I've talked with that are in Norway.

The 71B is built to handle a six cylinder so plenty strong for a four. The one I have right now I found in a metal scrap yard. The car had bee crushed by an excavator and it was weeks before I noticed it was some kind of Datsun. Figured out it was a '79 280zx. Bought it for $30 and stripped it for the 5 speed, flywheel and other stuff. (it was the 5 spd. I really wanted) Had it for several years and put it in my truck when it broke. Drove it for 10 years eventually putting it in my 710 for the last 5 years. Shifts beautifully and still going strong.