local news - Bystanders rescue family from vehicle fire in Pitt Meadows

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510rob

local news - Bystanders rescue family from vehicle fire in Pitt Meadows

Post by 510rob »

Byron510

Re: local news - Bystanders rescue family from vehicle fire in Pitt Meadows

Post by Byron510 »

It was, Dave and I were first on the scene. I wouldn't go on camera. But there is no doubt that with the help of 5-7 other people, we saved this family from a horrible ending.

In retrospect, I have no idea how we picked up the SUV and placed it on top of a no post barrier in order the free the 5 people in the car. The driver had a heart attack while driving down the road, the car swerved hard right just in front of us at a point in the road where it was 6 lanes wide. The SUV hit the barrier at 90 degree angle, and rolled onto its passenger side. It was on fire before it quit rolling, I clearly remeber fire was instantly there.
The 510 stopped fast - Dave and I flew out and got there within 10 seconds of the impact. I opened the back door facing up and the family was screaming - we had no idea how many people were in the car at his point - we just knew the car was on its side and burning. I knew there wasn't going to be enough time to extract them out of their seat belts with the car on its side as the fire was spreading quickly. Dave has also been a first responder before - as a long haul driver, he's seen bad accidents before. We both agreed the car had to be uprighted. We just stared to lift the car and help of about 6 other people instantly converged on the car cromput of nowhere. We literally picked up a burning car and set it on top of the barrier. Others grabbed the wife and kids from the pass side - I ran to the drivers side where one person was already trying to open the drivers door - it was jambed on top of the barrier - we literally ripped the door open from the top and tried to pull the guy out. He was unconcious and bleeding, but the fire was moving into the passenger compartment by this point - some one said "life of limb, he has to come out". At that point I realized his seat belt was still on - there was no way we could overcome this, so I went in through the back door, reached down between the console and released the seat belt. When I looked up, the dash was on fire and got the hell out, moving outside of the drivers door where one guy was trying to pull the drive out, I grabbed the opposite arm pit of the driver and just pulled. He was a big guy, at least my size or more. Then his lower knee and leg jambed between the seat and the partially open door when he was half way out. I don't think I even swore, I just knew we had to move. Fire had moved across the whole dashboard by this point. With at least one or two other guys, I just pulled with all my might and the driver popped out. We carried him 10 feet and when I looked back, the drivers seat was on fire.
I checked his breathing - nothing. I checked his pulse - I couldn't feel it. I was thinking 'am I doing something wrong - there's no way this guy is dead!' Then I felt a lot of heat on my back. The car was fully engulfed and four of us had to move the guy further away again.
When We set him down a lady identified herself as a nurse, and an off duty fireman also identified himself. Another nurse identified herself but was extremely anxious about the burning car. I was sure we were going to be ok. We started CPR, with the tires and other parts of the car exploding behind us. This was like no movie, it was just insane.
The guy never regained consciousness. He twitched and gave the odd gasp that looked like breathing - but he wasn't. It seemed forever before an ambulance arrived, but it likely wasn't more than 10 minutes. An AED was hooked up, no pulse and by this point I was relived from the guys side. Things didn't look good. They worked on him another 10 minutes before leaving.
The next hour just floated by. Dave took care of the rest of the family until medics arrived, and kept them away from the father - just telling them that he was out of the burning car and being looked after. The rest of the family had only minor injuries, and were released from hospital that night. The father remains in critical condition as of this afternoon.
Dave and I are sore from the experience - me more than him. We talked earlier today about the whole thing. It's hard to believe that 6-8 guys picked up a full sized SUV and put it three feet in the air on a barrier. But if we hadn't, I'm sure the wife and possibley the father would have not made it out. There would not have been time to get them out of their belts because the fire spread so fast, and it was hot.
I'm still shaking tonight recalling the whole thing. And I still clearly hear the screams coming from the car - I'm sure that will be with me for a while to come.I find comfort in that the family is ok and I hope like hell that the father makes it. The kids were young, they need their dad.
And I also have to thank the others who stopped and pitched in. A lot of people stopped, but only a few chose to help. There were a dozen people drectly involved in some way, and that makes me proud to know that those people are out there. With out them, this family would not have made it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

That must have been a surreal experience. Kudos to you guys for having the clarity of mind to sort out such a horrific situation in the way that you did.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron and Dave, it's good to know guys like you are around. Talk about being Blessed by your presents. Nice job and especially nice job keeping you head and think fast, Real men run towards the danger.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Good on yah Byron and friends! I saw that on the news, must have been insanely hot, as I know what that is like.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Thank God that you were driving by at that moment. It was a great job you,Dave and the others did. It is amazing what adrenaline can do to your body!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Some great work there Byron & others!
sad to say the "watchers" are all to common at incidents, I personally hav seen people actively block first responders many times now...
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Awesome heroic work Byron and Dave and the others! Very humbled by your courage and presence of mind in a critical situation. Bravo!
Hope your feeling well again soon
Cheers
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Incredible story Byron! That is just like you to jump in without any hesitation. Your swift actions probably inspired those other people to come to this families aid as well. I'm so glad you & Dave had other brave souls right there helping out too cuz without them it could've been a very different outcome.

Take care of yourself, something like this can very taxing both physically and mentally. Minimum three days off - with pay!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Nice work Byron & friends. As little as it seems (knowing that you have experience as first responders) make sure that you have someone who can assist you in the aftermath of your experience. No sense in trying to be a hero a second time (not trying to be condescending). Take care of yourselves too.

I feel for the family that went through the traumatic experience, but you also share in that experience.

Take care of yourselves...
James

Post by James »

Amazing - you guys were obviously meant to be there right then. Adrenaline can do amazing things I've heard. Incredible story.
Finished is better than perfect......