280ZX Brake calipers sourcing problems

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
zKars
Supporter

280ZX Brake calipers sourcing problems

Post by zKars »

Hey gang.

So one week pretty much before we leave for Kelowna with new 510, I find a puddle under my left front tire. Strange place for a puddle you say? Well I did too. The front 280zx stock caliper is leaking.

Now the tricky part. None of my usual auto parts suppliers can source a caliper. None. Even Rock Auto is out. Well they have one Right side off-brand thing. I found one other US outfit that has them, and have a set coming, but it will the usual 10 business days. UPS ground.

So my questions are thus.

-Anybody in BC/Sask western canada have a decent known working set of stock 79-83 zx calipers they can ship quickly?

-Anybody have an simple upgrade caliper/bracket set handy or can suggest a supplier? (15 wheels) (I know there are plenty, I'll look too).

Rebuild kits and parts are available, and I will try that route, but I have no guarantee the pistons/bores are in good enough shape to just slap new seals into.

Any other suggestions or the like are welcome. I
zKars
Supporter

Re: 280ZX Brake calipers sourcing problems

Post by zKars »

Lordco comes through. Ross Mullen helped me to find some in Whiterock and get them in transit to me.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

This should be a wake up call to everyone running zx struts. Just like stock 510 brake parts, zx stuff is going to disappear. So now is the time to pickup a set of rotors and a caliper rebuild kit at the least.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If you change your brake fluid (what every 3-5 years) before it contaminates they should easily be rebuildable. Rebuilt 4 piston Toyota calipers for my 620. Easy and cheap.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

I have the same issue. A few months ago I started comparing brands and wondering which would be best. Now, there is no debating because there simply are not options at this time. Hopefully this is just a lull in the supply cycle and it will return to normal. Otherwise, more expensive options may need to be explored. (Brakeman, Datsport, T3, Futofab, Wilwood, etc)
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

still available on ebay
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

loungin112 wrote:I have the same issue. A few months ago I started comparing brands and wondering which would be best. Now, there is no debating because there simply are not options at this time. Hopefully this is just a lull in the supply cycle and it will return to normal. Otherwise, more expensive options may need to be explored. (Brakeman, Datsport, T3, Futofab, Wilwood, etc)
The problem with using "racing" or aftermarket 4 and 6 piston calipers is there there are no dust shields on the pistons. So when the piston moves out of the caliper as the pad wears, and it's fully exposed to the elements. This isn't a problem in operation, but when it comes time to replace the pads, it means that the caliper needs to be fully overhauled which involves extraction of the pistons, cleaning and polishing of the pistons and bores and replacement of the seals before assembly due to the debris that accumulates on the exposed pistons. All OEM type calipers have an expanding dust boot that protects the piston to a great degree.

Don't get me wrong, I run a Willwood caliper myself. But since I often change my pads due to the soft compound, I've just had to accept the process. But for those who's cars simply are street machines, it's a greater amount of time between pad replacements. There is a very good chance that the work required to overhaul will be much greater.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I do feel that the OEM type calipers are best for most people in most applications. It's a shame to hear that even the 280ZX units now becoming obsolete as so many of us are running them.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Byron most of the new Wilwoods do have rubber dust shields on the piston. Mine do and they are the Dynapro's.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Brembos all come with dust boots on the pistons as well. I run the toyota 4 piston calipers with the mustang gt500 rear rotors on the front of my 280zx struts
Attachments
20170420_080431.jpg
20170420_080431.jpg (105.32 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

The 280zx stock setup will work fine for my needs. But, any insights into what manufacturer is most reputable? There are quite a few options to choose from when searching rockauto, autozone, o'reilly, etc... In my experience, remanufactured parts are a gamble...more so with some companies than others. So any insights into who (specific to calipers and rotors) to stay away from and who to search for would be great.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Just an update on this issue.

After doing some research I identified Centric as a supplier for 280zx rotors and calipers. I chose them as their listings included all rotor options and their calipers included the mounting bracket. I was looking forward to getting these new parts and getting the 280zx coilovers onto my 510. But, the day the summit racing package arrived, I was surprised to see only rotors in the box. The delivery was marked online as complete, so I contacted summit racing customer service. They reached out to centric, who replied back that my order for the calipers is pending due to not having any cores. I repeat...NO CORES AVAILABLE!! This is sort of surprising. I knew supply of these rotors is getting slim, but I didn't know a large company like centric had NO CORES.

Well, now I'm left looking for aftermarket providers that offer something compatible with stock 280zx rotors. Any suggestions? I really don't want a big brake kit, as I would like to keep my wheel options open to including 14" wheels. Maybe wilwood with a custom mounting bracket?
torqued

Post by torqued »

Hey, Can you post a picture of the caliper you are after?
I am in NZ so freight might be a killer but if desperate.

Cheers
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Disturbing news indeed.

I recently bought a pair from RockAuto, A1Cardone brand, 19-154 and 19-155. Now I look and they are gone. They do show Raybestos and Beck/Arnley still.

I couldn't find any in Canada, other than being helped by Ross Mullen who found me a pair at Lordco in Surrey.
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

torqued wrote:Hey, Can you post a picture of the caliper you are after?
I am in NZ so freight might be a killer but if desperate.

Cheers
Thanks for the offer. But I'll pass at this time...will just keep looking. When I find myself in NZ...hopefully some day soon...I'll leave some extra space in the luggage and let you know when we'll be in NZ.
Gereed75

Post by Gereed75 »

Having same issues. Got a driver side caliper and bracket from Autozone but they had a caliper only for passenger side. Have a caliper and bracket on order from Summit, but it is on back order with no known date when it will be available

Looks like A1 Cardone might be the only supplier and they have no cores

Anybody have a bracket??