2017 SCCA RunOffs

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2017 SCCA RunOffs

Post by bertvorgon »

One year...THEY protested Collin..go to impound...tech guys comes with micrometer to measure inlet restrictor...says it is too BIG. Andy looks at said micrometer..."go get a good one!!"..... comes back...restrictor of course legal. Andy even made it a gnats eyebrow smaller, just to be sure. They even checked it a few days ago. Those cars are more than legal, for all the reasons.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

I like that chassis design.....a lot. Having built more than a few tube chassis cars myself.
It reminds me of a cross between a sprint car and an imca modified. With some interesting twists. Outstanding work and execution.
Yeah Keith racing is something that just gets in your blood. I've managed too stay away for 15 years but a few people have seen me bombing around in Mikes car and I'm getting calls to go work on chassis set ups. So far I've resisted.........Thanks again for this thread I'm really enjoying it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

After our drive to Winthrop, I have almost forgotten how well my car works when really put to the test. My best years were when I first met Andy and we really developed the suspension that I like think has made a huge impact on what gets used now The last few years have really been spent futzing around to car shows and the odd cruise up here at the speed limit. To really push the 510 as it was designed was just so much fun, I'm still smiling after that drive and another one this summer to Penticton.

I can only think that Andy must feel that when his creations hit the track and do so well. Tracey and Harry have that turbo charged Miata giving a real headache to the V-8 guys now, too funny.

Andy's preparation is beyond reproach, he went through EVERYTHING on that car of Collin's before they left for the runoff's.

To this day, my son and I have this standing thing, we do not leave for a trip, without the vehicle being "prepped" it is the "Specialty Way" .
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Andy's suspension design has a genius solution to steering geometry. Pay close attention to the picture labelled "Andy and Steve".
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

In typical Collin fashion he has pulled more time out of the bag and turned a 1:44:579 VS Kristensen's 1:47:737, so maintaining the pole position no problem and the 3 second time gap. Nice cool morning there so again, that favored the tire issues

Comments have been made that it will be about tire management, which Collin is very good at. There will of course not be as much traffic, so in my opinion, looking at the time spread to the rest of the pack, getting past some slower cars and using them to help block will be the strategy. I would suggest that Collin will lap the slowest guys.

I will see if I can get an update today as all the Specialty gang is now in Indianapolis.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510rob wrote:Andy's suspension design has a genius solution to steering geometry. Pay close attention to the picture labelled "Andy and Steve".
Agreed, I remember the first time I saw this design I was blown away by the inginuity involved.

I remember when the three cars were first being built, hard to believe it was that long ago!

I hope it all goes smoothly for the team.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Collin officially has the pole now!

Just talked to Tracey....Kirstensen says....quote......"I have nothing for you!"

Yes, Andy's engineering is very cool to say the least, always thinking outside of the box.

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote:Andy's suspension design has a genius solution to steering geometry. Pay close attention to the picture labelled "Andy and Steve".

HAHA that is a super good idea!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Of note, should you want to see a barn burner of a race, the GT-2 race is at 12:40 Friday,our time on the coast, with some 36 cars on the grid, the first few laps should be exciting. Some seriously fast stuff in that group.

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

icehouse wrote:

Also note that those vertical links can be swapped out to achieve a different steering ratio; you only have to maintain the length between the central pivot and the upper pivot, but the lower length can vary. More genius is revealed!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

510rob wrote:
icehouse wrote:

Also note that those vertical links can be swapped out to achieve a different steering ratio; you only have to maintain the length between the central pivot and the upper pivot, but the lower length can vary. More genius is revealed!
But wouldn't you have to move the rack to do this? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room for it to move around. A rear steer rack would also have to be utilized...very cool and interesting setup. I love seeing inside race cars, especially when they are built by people thinking outside the box.

Looking forward to the races this weekend. I really hope they come back to the west coast next year. I would love to spectate at some point.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

AWESOME camera coverage!!!!

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

duke wrote:
510rob wrote: Also note that those vertical links can be swapped out to achieve a different steering ratio; you only have to maintain the length between the central pivot and the upper pivot, but the lower length can vary. More genius is revealed!
But wouldn't you have to move the rack to do this? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room for it to move around. A rear steer rack would also have to be utilized...very cool and interesting setup. I love seeing inside race cars, especially when they are built by people thinking outside the box.

Looking forward to the races this weekend. I really hope they come back to the west coast next year. I would love to spectate at some point.

I've decided that until I (Meaning me and Sam, fuck Solid Works gets tough with suspension that actually works) put something in SolidWorks I can't say weather or not it will work like I imagine :) It's easy to imagine something in a single plane, once you go beyond that and make it dynamic all bets are off. In my mind it seems like changing the vertical link as described would change the archerman. Who knows, maybe for the better or would the driver even notice with slip angle and all.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Been watching the live coverage most of the day. Some really great racing happening!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »