My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

View and post your 510 project(s)
sycklash

Re: My 71 510 budget SR20DET build

Post by sycklash »

Got together with a couple other 510 owners in the past little bit!
Just been cruising + babying the car so I can enjoy it until a new rearend pops up. Might even just run a datsun R180 out of a Z until I can find a subaru one since the STI ones are becoming impossible to find for under $1000.

Don't mind the messy interior, I had it torn apart again haha

Instagram: @Sycklash
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

I guess it's been a while since I did an update haha,
well, since august a lot has happened, so I'll try and post what I remember haha.

I managed to score a 2013 subaru R180 Torsen LSD through work for $300 Canadian(basically $100 for you Americans now haha), wit only 20k on it. The downfall is it's only 3:54's gears right now but we'll see how it drives and I may keep them, or upgrade to some 3:90s or 4:11s.

Incase you guys don't remember, the whole reason I needed to upgrade to the R180 was because of this...

So since it's the winter months, I also decided to tear the turbo and stuff off since I was having a few issues. The turbo was burning a little bit of oil, the exhaust was leaking, and just a few other small issues.

Turns out the oil issue was just having the wrong oil restrictor on it(or basically lack there of haha)
but everything went back together fine and just waiting on my next bit of work on the car, so I can get it to run and make sure everything's fine.

Since the 510 was getting more reliable, I decided to bite the bullet and buy an oil cooler so my temp doesn't keep climbing during highway driving.
I bought a universal mishimoto kit with a thermastatic sandwich plate.
They ended up forgetting to send me a fitting with the kit, so I had to order a new one, and since I was at it I decided I'd use a oil relocation kit I've had stored away forever so I ordered a few more fittings and hoses through work.(I'm still waiting on the actual fitting for the sandwich plate though as it's on backorder haha).
I ended up having to modify my motor mount as the sandwich plate didn't want to clear too well.

Also decided on ordering a wideband as I purchased a Nistune ECU a while back and finally going to put it to good use and get some tuning done.

Here's a picture from since my last post. After taking this photo and getting back on the road, a deer jumped out in front of me after I got back up to highway speeds. FUN FUN FUN.

One reason I haven't really been updating on the forums too much is because I've been too busy working and trying to decide what to do with my other project.
The reason I'm trying to decide what to do is because the motor decided it wanted to overheat and cook itself when I was driving it to put it in storage.

Incase you're wondering what it is.
It's a pro-street 1982 Cavalier(well Clone.. It's a Firenza shell) hatchback, converted to rear wheel drive with a V8(sbc).
I've been wanting to sell it so I can buy a '55 chev, but noone would ever give me anything for it as a rolling chassis. I've even had it posted haha.
So the plan now I guess if it really doesn't sell, is to shove a 5.3 LS I bought off my coworker into it, with a turbo kit.
It's kind of hard bouncing back between two projects like this haha.

But here's some more photos I've forgot to post incase anyone enjoys!

My datsun with my dad's '55 hardtop.

The more pictures there are, the less boring it is, right? hahaah
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That Cav is pretty boss.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Been a little while since my last post :P

Biggest things to say are...
THE SNOW IS GONE!(and the salt).. I've actually had the car out for a few rips! Including taking it to one of the biggest car shows in the maritimes.
It was the first of the season, and I went with a group of buddies under the name of Maritime RHD.

I finally bought T3 front 280zx coilovers. I also traded my dogleg 5speed for another pair of 280zx front struts that were suposs to be complete, but lacked one caliper bracket, and both calipers. However, they did include hubs so that's the main thing. I'm trying to find a place to buy all new rotors, brake pads, calipers, wheel bearings, and balljoints but so far no luck, even through work haha. Probably just going to buy a 'big brake kit' and say screw it.
I've also made the homemade rear coilovers at work because I was bored(camaro shocks, honda civic coilover kit, etc etc), but think I'm going to just buy proper coilovers because the car tends to want to squat too much and scrape a little too much for my liking while accelerating.
I also flocked my dash! and do I ever love it. It feels just like my dog so it was nice rubbing it when I was away at speedsport for four days with it haha.
Another thing I'm really proud of, is I finally managed to find brand new door locks for the car. Now I just need a trunk lock lol.

It feels really good to be able to play with the car, without worrying too much about breaking the rearend anymore.. Hell, my gas milage isn't half bad either hahaha.
One thing about my recent trip to speedsport though, is I was suposs to do an alignment at work but that got way too busy, so I ended up driving the few hours there with my car decently out. arrived with almost bald front tires.
When they were handing out awards, me and my buddy did a string alignment(with two jackstands, some speaker wire, our weekend pass and a marker) to do the front alignment after figuring out the front and rear track widths were the same. Rotated my tires so it looked like a burnout machine, and made it home fine with no more wear.

Anyways, here's some pictures !

Painted up my old scratched, fading cam cover. Roulette green!

I even brought home an ISCA award for rising star!, and first place for my class.

Twiggy was also at the show so figured I misawell go see her haha.

So just to recap because I'm rambling, the plans now are to buy everything for my struts so I can finally put my 280zx struts/coilovers on the front, buy rear discs, buy new wheels, buy a T28 turbo, hook up my nistune and tune it, install an E-brake (lol), and just enjoy the car. I'm hoping to start autocrossing it this year as well.
I'm going to Montreal next month with my buddy to go to all the JDM importer shops, so I'm hoping to be able to pick up some unique goodies, or upgrades (really hoping for wheels lol), so I'll post if I get anything!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

cool!
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

Update: Nothing really notable has been done to the car, except for the usual necessary maintance with these old things. I really need to upgrade the brakes lol.
but hey, I've been driving and enjoying the everliving crap out of it.

It's now out of winter, and the salts off the roads, so I've been driving it again. My exhaust only fell off three times in the last month, so I think it's safe to say that I'm going to be redoing my exhaust(and that means time to go even lower. ;) ).

Due to a promise I made when I was drunk, I even let a friend drive it. She ended up getting pulled over within an hour though hahaha. (first time car's ever been pulled over, so that's an accomplishment).

The rule of thumb where I'm from, is if you get pulled over, you need to take a selfie to proove it to your car buddies, and add them to the wall in the garage. So I thought it was appropriate to try and embarrass her at the same time.

but anyway, After basically daily driving it for the month, I've decided to take money way from my '55 chev fund and FINALLY order front and rear discs, and rear coilovers. I've only been sitting on the front 280zx coilovers for a year and some, so I guess it's finally time to use them. Also going to splurge on T3 LCA's ;D.

Yes, this made me cringe too. I'm just going to start throwing out random pictures from the past year since I've been slacking posting. This ones from when I got it stuck in the driveway this winter after having to move cars around. so lesson learned is, don't get cocky during a blizzard and expect everything to work out the way you want it to.

I'll post some pictures once the new goodies show up :P
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Any updates on how it drives with the 3.54 gears in your Diff? I have the same diff for my car not currently installed. Soon though lol.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !