REMEMBRANCE DAY

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

REMEMBRANCE DAY

Post by bertvorgon »

Once again we pause for a moment in time to reflect on those that serve, have served, have sacrificed, to keep this World sane.

I think of my own father who saw the horrors of Belsen and the destruction of Europe, as he went from England, France, Belgium, Holland and finally Germany.

And, our 510 comrade, ART HUGHES, who embodied both the Peace that we need in this World, and the true 510 enthusiast.

Thanks to all that serve, no matter the politics, that put themselves in harms way.
Attachments
Kenneth Law, Air Gunner, R.C.A.F.
Kenneth Law, Air Gunner, R.C.A.F.
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG (76.01 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Art_Hughs.jpg
Art_Hughs.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Re: REMEMBRANCE DAY 2017

Post by Byron510 »

Keith, thanks for posting and remembering Art.

As I stood at the local cenotaph yesterday with our Cub Scout troop as the names of the local fallen were read off complete with gun salute, I also paused to remember Art and his stories that I’m so happy he shared with me about his involvement in and after WW2.

Lest we not forget.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It was my pleasure to do that, only fitting!

One thing we never did do, was go the the Legion that Art was at and look at all his work on the medals. I gave him some WW2 medal's when he was trying to complete a set for someone who may have lost one

As I have quite the collection now of medals, some even going back to the Boer war, that I have gotten through work, I would like to see what he did. My retirement project is to make a really nice display, with history on the WW1 person's service, as those medals are named on the side.

Then down the road, donate it to the Air Museum in Langley, if they want it. I will talk to them. I have an alcohol tank from an CDN aircraft that I am donating also.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

This being my 15 years of service to the Navy, I always felt like I was apart of something bigger than myself. This summer I got the news that I had been picked up for Chief Petty Officer. We spent a lot of time reflecting on that the trials and tribulations of our brothers and sisters time after time, war after war. It's amazing how much we've changed, Canadians and americans, that our younger generations just as easily treat our freedoms as rights.
Thank you to all that had served and thank you to all who keep the freedom alive. We're here because they were THERE.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon wrote:...one thing we never did do, was go the the Legion that Art was at and look at all his work on the medals...
http://www.billybishoplegion.org/calendar

I've taken my dad down to 176 for their roast beef dinner. It's very good. The whole experience is good; Art's handiwork (with the medals) is all around you. If you mention that you knew Art, you will be welcomed with a string of fascinating stories.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is really neat that you did that Rob, I wish I could have done that with my Dad.

Maybe would could go down there again some time, I would like that. I get emotional now, the more that I look at his pictures and see what it must have been like for him ( and all those young men) and wonder how did they do that day after day!?

When I went and saw the new movie DUNKIRK, what I came away with was the fear, yet, the dedication, everyday, to get into those fighter planes, and never know if you are coming back. My Dad talked about that with the bomber crews.

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

There is a roast beef dinner there every Friday night at 6:30pm. Let's get a few people to go. That would be fun.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes please, I would really enjoy that.

More and more Ev and I have been researching so many WW1 people. Long story short, I have ended up with a fellows medal from the R.N.C.V.R.( which are quite rare), I got them from his son up in Vernon, who is now in his 80's. Very cool family history and this person was very lucky over his time in WW1, one step ahead of disaster the whole time.

At one point in England, he got stationed in a Stone Frigate, 1 barrack away from the first ever bombing in England, by a zeppelin, that killed a whole bunch of service people due to the flying glass they were barracked in.

I still think of your grandfather and where our trail ran cold, as he went with the British. It would be very neat to see if we could continue the research with the Brits.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As we approach the 11th hour of the 11th day, lets us not forget all those that have served !

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: REMEMBRANCE DAY

Post by bertvorgon »

I thought I would post this up again, as we head to November 11th, so as not to get lost in the Covid nightmare. Not sure what memorials will be like this year.

I am going to work on my Dad's shadow box, as it needs a bit of brightening up.

The World seems to be in quite the state right now. Maybe it's my age now, but, when I really look at the 5 years my Dad gave for the War effort and all those that sacrificed their lives to end WW2, it is hard to imagine.

I have in my basement the complete manuscript of a book, CHINTHE, my great uncle wrote, about his time flying the Burma Hump. I have yet to go through all the pictures he took in that time period, it is on my list to go through. Look up the 435 Squadron if you are interested. Seems a shame it has been squirreled away for so long, lost in the dust of history.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It’s not lost, and never will be, Keith.
I'm marching my cub scouts from the church tomorrow night to the local Cenotaph. We meet Thursdays (100% outdoor now, with maximum patrols of 8 under COVID, but we are still going).
Turns out the local cenotaph has been moved 3 times since erected by a woman’s auxiliary in 1923. History I’m sure our youth (and other Scouters) are not likely aware of.
Haney was a small town then at the end of WWI. But the 1st Hany Scout Troop was formed in 1929. Of course, many more names were added to the cenotaph following WWII, and the Korean War.
Our scout troop, along with the 7 outer troops in the city all take part in a large ceremony on a normal year. We are front and center in full uniform. The celebrations on the 11th are by invitation only this year – keeping the whole event below 50 as per local health rules – and each socially distanced. It’s different this year for sure.
So, I will march my cub pack down there tomorrow night for our meeting. We’ll salute, sing the anthem and we will remember those that have fallen for us, to preserve our rights and freedom.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

My Grandpa at The Battle of the Bulge. When he got back he worked at the Seattle fire department, he retired from the fire department in 78 and for a long long time was the oldest living Seattle fireman. He drove the firetruck which was a convertalbe RHD 1928 Seagraves truck the brake pedal extended across the cab so all the guys could push it to slow the truck down. It was upgraded to pneumatic tires the first year he worked there. Which was also the first year of any protective gear for the firemen. He said none of the old guys would wear it stating that "while you guys are putting that garbage on we are saving lives!" You can see why he outlived them. When I was older I worked on cars in his big shop. It was great to hand out with him while working on cars. He owned a shop for a while with his brother. Some great stories. He passed about 3 years ago.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Jeff, he sounds like a solid Grandpa.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My dad watched the battle of Brittan air war from his tractor in southern England. Being a farmer he was refused when trying to enlist. On an island everything had to be home grown or imported. My mom was a nurse in London during the Blitz. She told marvelous stories about hearing the blackouts, doodlebugs and taking turns standing guard and kicking incendiaries off the hospital roof into the streets below.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Here again is REMEMBRANCE Day, thinking of all my family that went to the many wars.

That we are still fighting around the World is a great sadness to me on this day.

And to all those that lost their lives in the insanity of War!
Attachments
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG (76.01 KiB) Viewed 643 times
crest2.jpg
crest2.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 643 times

Keith Law