REMEMBRANCE DAY 2017

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2017

Postby bertvorgon » 10 Nov 2017 18:12

Once again we pause for a moment in time to reflect on those that serve, have served, have sacrificed, to keep this World sane.

I think of my own father who saw the horrors of Belsen and the destruction of Europe, as he went from England, France, Belgium, Holland and finally Germany.

And, our 510 comrade, ART HUGHES, who embodied both the Peace that we need in this World, and the true 510 enthusiast.

Thanks to all that serve, no matter the politics, that put themselves in harms way.
Attachments
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG
Kenneth Law, Air Gunner, R.C.A.F.
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG (76.01 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Art_Hughs.jpg
Art_Hughs.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 115 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Byron510

Re: REMEMBRANCE DAY 2017

Postby Byron510 » 12 Nov 2017 07:29

Keith, thanks for posting and remembering Art.

As I stood at the local cenotaph yesterday with our Cub Scout troop as the names of the local fallen were read off complete with gun salute,!i also paused to remember Art and his stores that I’m so happy he shared with me about his involvement in WW2.

Lest we forget.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 12 Nov 2017 10:32

It was my pleasure to do that, only fitting!

One thing we never did do, was go the the Legion that Art was at and look at all his work on the medals. I gave him some WW2 medal's when he was trying to complete a set for someone who may have lost one

As I have quite the collection now of medals, some even going back to the Boer war, that I have gotten through work, I would like to see what he did. My retirement project is to make a really nice display, with history on the WW1 person's service, as those medals are named on the side.

Then down the road, donate it to the Air Museum in Langley, if they want it. I will talk to them. I have an alcohol tank from an CDN aircraft that I am donating also.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

finn
Supporter

Postby finn » 12 Nov 2017 17:39

This being my 15 years of service to the Navy, I always felt like I was apart of something bigger than myself. This summer I got the news that I had been picked up for Chief Petty Officer. We spent a lot of time reflecting on that the trials and tribulations of our brothers and sisters time after time, war after war. It's amazing how much we've changed, Canadians and americans, that our younger generations just as easily treat our freedoms as rights.
Thank you to all that had served and thank you to all who keep the freedom alive. We're here because they were THERE.
'69 2dr KA24DET

okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.

510rob

Postby 510rob » 12 Nov 2017 17:55

bertvorgon wrote:...one thing we never did do, was go the the Legion that Art was at and look at all his work on the medals...

http://www.billybishoplegion.org/calendar

I've taken my dad down to 176 for their roast beef dinner. It's very good. The whole experience is good; Art's handiwork (with the medals) is all around you. If you mention that you knew Art, you will be welcomed with a string of fascinating stories.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 12 Nov 2017 18:17

That is really neat that you did that Rob, I wish I could have done that with my Dad.

Maybe would could go down there again some time, I would like that. I get emotional now, the more that I look at his pictures and see what it must have been like for him ( and all those young men) and wonder how did they do that day after day!?

When I went and saw the new movie DUNKIRK, what I came away with was the fear, yet, the dedication, everyday, to get into those fighter planes, and never know if you are coming back. My Dad talked about that with the bomber crews.

Keith Law

510rob

Postby 510rob » 12 Nov 2017 18:30

There is a roast beef dinner there every Friday night at 6:30pm. Let's get a few people to go. That would be fun.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 12 Nov 2017 18:51

Yes please, I would really enjoy that.

More and more Ev and I have been researching so many WW1 people. Long story short, I have ended up with a fellows medal from the R.N.C.V.R.( which are quite rare), I got them from his son up in Vernon, who is now in his 80's. Very cool family history and this person was very lucky over his time in WW1, one step ahead of disaster the whole time.

At one point in England, he got stationed in a Stone Frigate, 1 barrack away from the first ever bombing in England, by a zeppelin, that killed a whole bunch of service people due to the flying glass they were barracked in.

I still think of your grandfather and where our trail ran cold, as he went with the British. It would be very neat to see if we could continue the research with the Brits.

Keith Law

Return to “Not Datsun/Nissan related?”