New swap-4G63T

View and post your 510 project(s)
jeffball610

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by jeffball610 »

I passed smog!!! Funny that Nevada makes you smog anything 1968 and newer while California is 1977 and newer.

In any case, I have my DMV appointment tomorrow to register it and the personalized plates are already ordered. I tied up a few small items today after my sigh of relief. Literally tied. Tied up the spaghetti under the dash. I'll fix it for good in the coming months. I replaced a few fuses that were underrated for the amp draw. Adjusted the brake pedal to take out some free play. It still needs some bleeding, but it's feeling much better with the 85 miles I've driven it so far. I also put in an adjustment screw for the clutch pedal. I need to put a pedal stop on the firewall at some point, but this makes it feel much better. It also needs a dead pedal. I also wrapped my downpipe in heat wrap to help manage temps. Last up was getting my idle to a reasonable 750rpm instead of the 1k rpm it's been at.

I'll keep putting miles on it and making small changes. I've got a few more parts in the mail like a turbo blanket and some better lug nuts. I got my "official" Datsun keychain from Nissan today and it's stating to look like a car. If everything remains on course, I'll be driving it to the car show on Saturday. Hopefully Peter Brock will be there to give me his input.

Woohoo. Officially 10 pages!!!
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Small updates. The car is running well and I'll be attending my second autocross event tonight. I've installed Futofab camber/toe plates in the rear and did a proper alignment. I've installed some BMW ellipsoid headlights and a few creature comforts like a stereo and thin carpet. I'll continue to sort things out and update the car as it progresses. I'm so happy that I'm able to drive and enjoy this car after so long.

Also, I met with Mr. Peter Brock this morning at the local Cars and Coffee. He had some kind words to say about my build and I couldn't be happier to hear them from such a respected man. I'll also be attending his Open House here in Las Vegas on October 6th. I hope to see some of you there.

This morning I met Mr. Peter Brock at my local Cars and Coffee and he gave some kind words to me about my build. I couldn't be happier to receive his feedback.He also mentioned an Open House on October 6th that I will be attending.

Small updates include BMW ellipsoid headlights, a stereo with speakers mounted in a new rear deck panel, some carpeting, and a better EG Civic center console. I'll post more pics when I switch things over to another photo hosting service.

And my custom plates came in after almost 2 months of waiting :)
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I see what you did with that license plate - nice work!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's awesome, nice photo and it must feel good to have a Pete Brock kudo's over your project.

Good to hear of another installation of my camber toe brackets being caned on.

Great to hear that miles are being racked up - that's what it's all about! Keep 'em comming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Winter break is here, so that means it's time to do a larger project on the car.

Before work can begin, the garage must be cleaned so I'm not rolling in dirt and oil, and so I know where tools and parts are at.
Next was to take pics to show where the car is currently (so I can impress myself with the results). Or so I can remember where parts went :P
And next was to start removing stuff. I'm taking some video of the process. If it turns out well, I might post it. It's not too interesting so far, but we'll see.
Next up is to start grinding, sanding, welding, and filling so I can put on some paint. Just doing some spray enamel in white to clean things up, make it one color, and it will eventually be a white car anyway. The last step before reassembly is to clean up a few wiring and plumbing things that need some attention. Thankfully I've got another week and a half to dedicate to working on this pile so I can enjoy it some more. :thumbup:
1972 Datsun 510
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I think your car is awesome!
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

More stuff done. Stitch welded the engine bay. I'm sure I didn't do a great job, but It's done and I did it myself.

I also filled a few holes and did some smoothing. I didn't go overboard, I just wanted to clean things up a bit.

Then I did some filler and sanding to end up with this.

It certainly isn't professional, but it looks decent and it's all one color. I just used some plain white enamel spray paint. It's baking now with a heater on it and I should start reassembly tomorrow. I hope I put it all back where it came from.

As a side note, does anyone have any info on chassis stiffening? I'm still considering this, but I've seen lots of cars without this mod.

What other methods, short of a cage, can we do to stiffen the 45 year old chassis? S30 guys have frame rails and other braces. Even modern cars have bolt-on chassis braces. I'm not trying to go all out, but would like to do all I can to make this thing handle its best.

And what front end is this? BMW?

My next option is this. Camaro?

I'm not a big fan of the BRE style. It sticks out a bit too much. I'm not opposed to it, I'd just like some other options.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

A few updates over the past couple of months.

First, I went ahead and got the BRE Spook since their shop is here in town and it seemed like a decent enough option. It also looks better in person than in all of the posts I've seen. My initial reasoning was to get some cool air to an oil cooler, but the holes aren't in the right spot for me.

That brings me to my oil cooler option. I have a small 10 row mounted under my radiator, and it seems to help some, but I still want to cut my intercooler height down and mount a larger one for track days.
I'll post install pics when I improve my mounts.

Also, against everyone else's better judgement, I went on an 800 mile trip across the mountains and deserts from Las Vegas to Colorado. The car did great, but I had a control arm adjuster come loose which caused a lot of toe in. I scrubbed the front tires pretty bad, but they're salvageable. After an alignment, the car did great. The plan was also to drive to Canby, but the additional days of driving after this small mishap seemed too much for me. Next year. The drive back to Las Vegas was uneventful other than the heat and my Taiwan "Datsun 521" mirror that flew off at 75mph 100 miles from home.
Current alignment. It can still be better, but that's as good as it gets for now.

Now for some issues I need to solve. First, what methods are people using to seal the gas tank? I have a leak where I installed my Z31 fuel pump assembly, and it leaks when full or when fuel sloshes too high. I'd like to get rid of the stock feed lines and some vent lines as well, but I fear that will cause more leaks. Is this something a competent fuel tank/radiator shop can do?

I've also got a small coolant leak from a the patch I did on my metal coolant pipe. Trying to make things simple, I reused a stock part, and the patch that seals a stock hole seems impossible to close. I'm thinking of just making a whole new pipe that requires fewer hose elbows and using only straight couplers. Should I go with aluminum or stainless for this?
I don't have a clean pic of this, but it's the darker grey pipe with the rubber couplers that then has a straight pipe that goes in front of the timing belt to the upper radiator inlet.

There are some other small things I'm working out like the tune and some cosmetic things. I'll get them sorted and I'm more motivated now that this is my daily driver :shock:
1972 Datsun 510
gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice project!

How’s the R154 like that kinda power?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Concerning the oil cooler, I built a 13 row heat exchanger into one of radiator tanks on the Bronze. It seemed like a great idea at the time, and it works extremely well. I documented the rad build well here;

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=645

However now that the build starts to get up there in years, I wonder what the hell I would do when on the road (a trip like you just did) if there was a failure of one component or the other for any reason. Neither are now an item I can get off the shelf...

So my suggestion might be to use a remote heat exchanger. It doesn't take up frontal area, but does tax your cooling system more. However cooler oil means cooler engine which means the whole system is balanced. The heat needs to come out of your engine through the oil and water, so in the end…..

I'm not sure if this option is right for you, but I can tell you that it is effective. From experience my 13 plate heat exchanger is more than enough for my ~ 160/170 HP NA motor. I was running oil temp s into the 240+ range on track days before, now it's exactly what the water temp is at all times – 180 or less no matter how hard I've caned on it - or for how long! So it is very effective. The heat exchanger also has a nice side advantage - it gets the oil up to temp faster on cold days, because it in effect becomes an oil heater. I'm honestly sold on the use of this type of product.

However if I were to do this all over again, using an OEM rad that is more easily obtainable and the use of a remote, inline heat exchanger between the rad outlet at the bottom and the engine inlet is the way to go. A good friend has a remote unit just like this sitting on the lower "frame rail" beside the alternator. His application includes a 190+ RWHP NA L motor in a race car. Safe to say that 190 HP from a 2.4 L motor is a pretty extreme motor, and it builds heat! His oil cooler works great. From the photos you just posted of your 4G63T, it looks like you have space for something similar. And since you're playing with plumbing now anyways, maybe it's a good time.

Here is a quick example of the type product at Summit that I’d consider if I were to start all over. I believe there are a number of manufacturers today. It’s not an endorsement in any ways, but it’s an idea to get you going;

https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sor ... %20coolers

Don’t get me wrong, I love my current system – it works awesome and I have no complaints (other than I actually over sized my rad which becomes a problem in itself on colder days for both the engine and oil).
But maybe my old age is making me think of further scenarios, especially when out on a long cruise in the “wilds”! I’d sure like to be able to replace that rad on the fly if I needed to far from home. And if the heat exchanger failed, as long as I wasn’t on the track - I’d plumb it in a way that I had the hose available in the system to bypass the heat exchanger if necessary and that would get me home.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

If I remember right, didn't Datsun Comp sell a water/oil cooler back in the day? Looking at those Summit coolers that Byron linked, they appear to be pretty small size wise, easy to mount.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Cool idea! You had me sold Byron until I saw the price tag... USD no less. :cry:
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

@gooned The R154 is way overbuilt for anything I'll be able to throw at it. That was always my intention to overbuild components on this car so I wouldn't have to worry about them. I planned for 400hp, but I doubt I'll even be able to put 300hp down. I'm working out a plan to fit 225 width tires at some point to help with that.

Coincidentally, the stock 4G63 motor comes with a coolant to oil cooler that sandwiches on the oil filter housing. It's not terribly effective at higher temps, but it works. Sadly, I don't have space between the oil filter and the engine crossmember to use it. I'm using a unit from an EVO3 that has a stock air cooled oil cooler. The stock units are pretty big, and I still feel mine is undersized. That being said, my solution seems to be working so far. Street driving isn't much of an indicator, but it's definitely taxing the coolant system less and I've got a bit higher oil presser due to cooler oil.

Here are a few poor pictures of how I got this to work.
You can see about 5-6 rows peaking through at the bottom of the radiator.

The AN lines don't hang as low as this makes it seem, but it saves room at the top for airflow.

Lines coming from the oil filter housing. There is plenty of clearance as to not rub anything.

(looking up from the ground)
This one is a bit close to the pulley, but it doesn't flex into it at all. I'd still like to get this further away. I did mount my brackets to the under side of the core support to existing bolt holes using rubber isolators to allow some flex as to not fatigue the cooler or the mounts.

Ultimately, I will likely cut my intercooler to make room for something more substantial if needed. I'd also like to find a thinner intercooler so that one day I might even have air conditioning. After the hot drive across the desert, I'm feeling old. I need some air conditioning and cruise control.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

CZeroMedia did a quick video about my car during Mitsubishi Owner's Day a few weeks ago and just posted the video :D

https://youtu.be/Iq2nINNJIQ8
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Small update, but big accomplishment (for me at least)

1972 Datsun 510