1971 Datsun 510 sedan track race parts car

Post your forsale and wanted ads
paul97

1971 Datsun 510 sedan track race parts car

Post by paul97 »

I just saw this on Craigslist and I figured I would post it here incase anyone might be interested. It is not my car and I don't know anything about.. I saw the twin carb setup and I thought the car might be worth it for that. Here is the link: https://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/d/ ... 80805.html
demo243

Re: 1971 Datsun 510 sedan track race parts car

Post by demo243 »

Went and saw this car today - Its pretty rough...

Still thinking about it to grab some spares (x-members, diff, struts...) and part the rest.

Spent most the afternoon trying to dig up some history on it, but havent been able to find anything. Looks like it was driven by Michael Katz, and did a number of events in the early 90's. If anyone know anything please share -

Didnt get to talk to the guy, but its my understanding he doesnt really know anything about it.

It was kinda sad to see it... had potential but at this point I dont know if the car is worth saving...

Here is an album with some more photos of it -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152020965 ... 005394594/

ImageWorcester scrap 510 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

for $650 I would save it. granted I have all the panels to fix the front end..... why are all the good projects so far away ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Paul & Demo243,
I have roadraced in New England with SCCA since '87. This car or the name on it I don't recall. The NARRC (North Atlantic Road Racing Championship) sticker is from an SCCA Regional series that was quite popular in its day, but has recently gone defunct.

The images you took do not show any real hard core roadracing improvements.

The on-board fire bottle is likely Halon given the road racing period for the car. It might be worth something to a Halon recycler (if it isn't discharged), but isn't of any value to a racer due to age and the very high cost of Halon if you can find it.

The fuel cell looked like a circle track cheapie and likely isn't FIA FT-3 certified as would be needed for the GT classes of road racing. And if it was a GT car, the cell would need to be installed within a sheet metal enclosure. Looks like it might have road raced in Improved Touring (IT).

The SU type sidedrafts are rough. The manifold should be salvageable, but the carbs could be a different story. The engine appears to be an L20B. The lack of a header makes you question the amount of modifications made. If stock, it could be a good core for a build if it isn't internally damaged.

Even with the cage in it, it's hard to say where the car would have raced beyond autocrosses or IT. Lots of gray areas in trying to figure this one out. For IT the engine would need to be an L16 with a stock carb or a Weber 32/36 DGV. It would also need stock fenders (no flares) and DOT race tires on 13x6, max. width rims. The dual SU's were never legal in any SCCA road racing class. If ever road raced likely it was an IT car that had an engine swap and flares added later in its life.

If it was an SCCA road race car (as the dash plaques seem to indicate), it would have a logbook showing the car's racing history. The logbook number is stamped into the rollcage. Most cars that raced in the NE had the number stamped into the main hoop on the passenger side. There would typically be a small hole in the tube near the number. This was for measuring the roll cage tubing wall thickness. The first 2 or 3 digits in the number indicate the SCCA Region that did the original tech inspection. The initial tech inspection included issuance of the logbook which stays with the car for its SCCA racing life. If the car was from the New England Region of SCCA, the number would start with 022 or 22.

It may be possible to find the start of the car's SCCA road race history if you can find the number. Each roadracing Region's Chief of Tech is supposed to maintain a journal with all the logbook numbers recorded in it. If you can find a number on the cage, you can contact the Region that stamped the cage and see if they have any records on the car. It will be limited, but should have the date it was originally inspected or "logbooked", the make / model and the original owner's name at a minimum.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH