WCR/Futofab CV axle boot?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
HKS

WCR/Futofab CV axle boot?

Post by HKS »

Does anyone know what type of CV boot kit is used for the WCR/FutoFab CV axle kit? Is it the EMPI # 9994 on all four corners?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: WCR/Futofab CV axle boot?

Post by Three B's Racing »

Depends on which CV kit you have, either the Empi 100mm dia CV or the 930 CV much larger in diameter. Ask Futofab.com
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
HKS

Post by HKS »

Thanks. I will have to wait for Dave to reply back to my email I sent a few days ago since there are too many options to consider.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

If you haven't gotten an answer yet try here.

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/214.html
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
HKS

Post by HKS »

Thanks for the link. I was finally able to get a hold of Dave from Futofab. For reference if anyone is looking for specs. on the WCR/FutoFab CV Axle kit here you go.

Empi CV Axle:100mm with chomoly cage
CV Boot kit: Type 2 Bus
Torque spec for Stub axle flange: 58 ft-lb.
CV Boot 12.8mm bolts torque spec: 31 ft-lb. (I believe the original instructions called for 35 lbs. but that willl cause the helicoils to gall or back out after repeated installation and removal as experienced from his race friends)

Dave mentioned that the balls used in the current CV Axle kit are the larger .875 and not the .7XX thus not the reason there is slack or play when moving the wheels back and forth. The play is from the chromoly cages used and the design of the CV axle kit to allow greater axle angularity which isnt needed for our cars but was mainly designed for off-road buggys and trucks. He mentioned he has been racing his 510 using the same CV kit at 4 to 5 race tracks without any problems.

He also mentions if you see any CV grease coming out from the axle or around the sealing areas between the cv boot seal and CV Axle to use silicone around those areas similar to how you would seal a water pump seal. I have this problem that will address it in an upcoming inspection and tear down.

Hope this helps anyone looking for info to rebuild their kits in the near future.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

HKS wrote:Thanks for the link. I was finally able to get a hold of Dave from Futofab. For reference if anyone is looking for specs. on the WCR/FutoFab CV Axle kit here you go.

Empi CV Axle:100mm with chomoly cage
CV Boot kit: Type 2 Bus
Torque spec for Stub axle flange: 58 ft-lb.
CV Boot 12.8mm bolts torque spec: 31 ft-lb. (I believe the original instructions called for 35 lbs. but that willl cause the helicoils to gall or back out after repeated installation and removal as experienced from his race friends)

Dave mentioned that the balls used in the current CV Axle kit are the larger .875 and not the .7XX thus not the reason there is slack or play when moving the wheels back and forth. The play is from the chromoly cages used and the design of the CV axle kit to allow greater axle angularity which isnt needed for our cars but was mainly designed for off-road buggys and trucks. He mentioned he has been racing his 510 using the same CV kit at 4 to 5 race tracks without any problems.

He also mentions if you see any CV grease coming out from the axle or around the sealing areas between the cv boot seal and CV Axle to use silicone around those areas similar to how you would seal a water pump seal. I have this problem that will address it in an upcoming inspection and tear down.

Hope this helps anyone looking for info to rebuild their kits in the near future.
I had all the grease escape my drivers side inbound CV Boot that caused issues on the way back from Canby last year in Des Moines, Iowa. See CV Failure on the Board index.
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Sorry I meant under Powertrain,,CV Failure, not Board index.
- John Lennon
HKS

Post by HKS »

I found this while doing some research a while back and will be making some for future use. Pretty smart idea for any CV Axle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuZxPG4nNo