Photo Files too large? Resize Photos...

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Byron510

Photo Files too large? Resize Photos...

Post by Byron510 »

See latest updates later on in this thread...

Ok Guys/gals,

This question comes up from time to time, so I thought I would post a very easy download for your PC that can resize your pics to post on the realm. As many have explained, you may get a “file size to large” error when posting your pics. You can resize with photo shop or paint, but this one is even easier.
After downloading this add on from Microsoft (and it is a direct Microsoft link – no adds, no sign up, no crap!), the image resizer tool will be right in your computer – no need to open other software. After download and running the installation, you simply have to right click on the photo, and you get the usual Edit, print CUT, PASTE, COPY – you will now have the resize picture option. Simply click on this, and choose the size (I usually use small or medium for the realm) and you instantly get a resized photo in that same file that you clicked on. You usually have to go to the end of the file unless you refresh your page, as which point the resized photo will appear next to your original in order.

Here’s the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

Just thought I’d pass this along to help fellow 510ers on their quest to share and show pics with the rest of the group.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Photo Files to large? Resize Photos...

Post by goichi1 »

Nice, just did it and it works great, only took a few seconds to download....thanks Byron....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Spencer - this site's Creator and Master - sent me that link back when I just got online with this forum. Before getting on this site, I'd never taken part in any forum or bulletin board - now look at my total posts! I'm in geek territory now @ 4188 posts taking up a total of 280 pages of this forum!. My turn to help out others.
Byron
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Byron510 wrote: My turn to help out others.
You have already been a huge help to alot of us. Those 280 pages are full of great knowledge that is being passed on...way better than alot of the "other" stuff on the net.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

You can also use Windows live photo gallery (also free)

http://get.live.com/photogallery/overview

This is not to be confused with the photo gallery in Vista it is similar but will do more (like resizing pictures easily which for some odd reason the one in Vista won't do) you can also easily post your pictures to Flikr or Live spaces with it. Works with XP and vista.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

OK, It's time to update this thread, as the question keeps coming up on how to make photos smaller and we have to keep up with the changing technology. I'm certainly not a techie kind of guy, but I do use this tool often.

This is for PC users - The previously noted image resizer above worked for all versions up to Windows 7. So if you have Windows 7 or 10, you'll see that Microsoft no longer offers the Power Toys Image Resizer - which was a great tool. Thankfully some clever guy in the UK capture the code from this tool and made it work for windows 7 and 10 users. It's not a hugely powerful add on, but it's super convenient as it's simply imbedded in your left mouse click menu.

I have recently found the free add on in these two places;

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

https://www.digitalred.com/support/wind ... -resizing/

Hope that helps.

Byron
iceD

Resize Photos...

Post by iceD »

hi everybody, I have a Mac. I am not having any luck with this subject. What size do the photos
need to be?

thanks ice D
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: Photo Files too large? Resize Photos...

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Below 700kb
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
iceD

Re: Photo Files too large? Resize Photos...

Post by iceD »

Thanks