What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

510rob wrote: 02 Sep 2018 21:47 that's a cool picture of your car and the valve cover
The car doesn't look too bad when blurred out :lol:
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Machined 3 mm off the back of my trigger wheel sensor bracket so it would line up.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Spent the summer selling off all my extra 510 stuff including a pretty big project that I came to realize I would never get to. The last of the parts were picked up this afternoon leaving me with just the one car to concentrate on getting back on the road over the winter. Everything went to a local Datsun enthusiast who will start posting about his new project in the near future.
1972 Yellow 4dr
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Trevor, I heard about you thinning your herd. I agree that you selected the best person to be on the receiving end. Datsun enthusiast at heart, for what appears to be many years, or decades.

Jim
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

it took a lot of inner reflection in order to come to the decision to sell, then I just needed to find the right buyer so that I wouldn't have sellers remorse and I really only offered the collection to one person. I am pretty sure the new owner will do it justice.
1972 Yellow 4dr
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

Got the SR dialed in. Turns out that my engine does not like vent-to-atmo BOVs, so I replumbed it to recirculate. Amazing difference.

Finally installed a proper front swaybar.

Tearing apart the exhaust now and welding in new flanges. Modifying the transmission crossmember so the exhaust doesn't have to go around so much.
71 510 2-door SR20DET (S13)
------------------
http://www.myagentjosh.com
http://www.newprotest.org/510
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jovial_cynic wrote: 15 Nov 2018 08:22 Got the SR dialed in. Turns out that my engine does not like vent-to-atmo BOVs, so I replumbed it to recirculate. Amazing difference.

Finally installed a proper front swaybar.

Tearing apart the exhaust now and welding in new flanges. Modifying the transmission crossmember so the exhaust doesn't have to go around so much.
Sounds like your having fun 'teething'!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

Teething?
71 510 2-door SR20DET (S13)
------------------
http://www.myagentjosh.com
http://www.newprotest.org/510
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jovial_cynic wrote: 15 Nov 2018 09:58Teething?
Teething issues...

The bulk of the work is done on the motor install, now it's 'just' figuring out all the little issues now that you have car running...

... the fun but sometimes frustrating part of going back and doing things you've already completed, again :-)

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

jovial_cynic wrote: 15 Nov 2018 08:22 Got the SR dialed in. Turns out that my engine does not like vent-to-atmo BOVs, so I replumbed it to recirculate. Amazing difference.
No SR's do, since the MAF reads air flow, then is dumped, ecu doesn't know so it sends in the right amount of fuel for the missing air. My buddies car would shoot flames higher then the roof when he shifted to second! Super cool, it to ran not the best.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The end of the 2018 driving season for me.

This year was also the end of an era, having been able to store my car at my place of work for 34 years, how lucky I was! That is the one thing I miss about work in retirement..MY GARAGE.

I tested my lighting this past Monday at Specialty, to try and determine WHAT has failed (headlight switch).

I also back blew the radiator out, amazing what comes out, sand, leaves, pine needles, bark mulch and the remnants of at least a dozen types of insects, one of which was a HUGE dragon fly. Anyone that does our road trips should do that at end of season.

Today I tested a headlight relay the Robyn gave me, to see if that still might be my headlight issue, it was not, so onto dismantling the dash to get at the headlight switch. I hope to work on that over the next week or so, just to get it done.

Thanks to all that came out on this years drives, 2 good ones, Bromley Rock and Octoberfast. Lets plan for a good drive to Winthrop next season.

Our road laws here now have become extreme to say the least and the risk for speeding is just not worth the dice roll now, glad I saw the Golden Age of the Cannonballs and high speed drives.

I put a total of 26.6 hours of running time on the motor, down from the year before, but I did some good road trips in 2017.

This was the year I found that we have some voltage drop to the rear taillight wiring, but at least got the LED 1157 and 1156 bulbs to fire up and they have worked just fine, coupled with the proper LED relay for the turns.

I burned through some 200 litres of AVGAS and 80 litres of pump fuel.

Byron hosted us for 510 Day again and we did the Mission Historic parade, where I somehow hit 100 MPH during one "parade" lap....hmmmm.

Hopefully next spring I can get my headlight upgrade done....Hello...Byron..... :lol:

Had a bad, brand new O2 sensor that threw a curve, I drew the short straw on that one.

Next week I hope to test fit the CV half shafts for any clearance issues.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Finally got around to having the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels. These wheels have been sitting in a box for 4 months. Also got my SS grill from Love20bee
ImageAME by v p, on Flickr
I don't have any hardware at the time so my buddy held it up for me while I snapped a photo.
ImageSSgrill by v p, on Flickr
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Mocked up the grill and headlights today.

ImageSS grill & Dapper lights by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Mounted the rear cross member today and rear coils. Need the car on the ground to make room for my wife's car.
Put on the rear wheels as well. I need to set the ride hight once I get the front suspension buttoned up and wheels installed.

ImageRearcoil by v p, on Flickr

Imagerearwheel by v p, on Flickr
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Looks fantastic! Those dapper lights have the halo or angel eyes effect?