NANKANG AR-1 group buy

Post your forsale and wanted ads
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

NANKANG AR-1 group buy

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I'm putting it out there if anyone is interested in getting some R compound tires. I am able to get a pretty good deal on them. If I have more people the price will get better. Currently they are $600 for a set of 205/50R15 delivered to my door. There is a wide variety of sizes.

https://www.wheelwiz.ca/tires/nankang/a ... 055015-86w

I can ship them to the states if some of the guys down there are interested.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Re: NANKANG AR-1 group buy

Post by Byron510 »

Damn - that is an awesome deal.

I still have a set of A048's I bought from Keith to burn off in 2019. But sign me up for the following year for sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, I just have the one season on my 048's so am good for a few seasons yet, although could stock a set in maybe next year. All just depends on how may miles we log on. We, or at least me, did not really drive the tires hard this year for the most part.

Next summer I guess we should try to go to Winthrop again, as our driving laws just got even worse in terms of fines, etc.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Please put me down for a set of 4 of the Nankang AR-1, size 205/50R15.

My understanding from a recent conversation with Robert from Wheelwiz is that the AR-1 tires have received a lot of positive feedback this past year, and due to the attractive price point, demand is expected to be higher in 2019. Robert has suggested that we get our buy list together sooner than later so that he can forward it on to his wholesaler to reserve our spot in line.
Jason
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I have no experience with these tires. I race locally in IT7 (for 1st gen Mazda RX7's in ITA spec). The Nitto NT01 is the spec tire. They have a 100 TW rating.

What always seems to be the case with most of these 100 +/- TW tires is they run for a full season w/o any drop in lap times. They are grippy enough to be fun, difficult to overheat and wear like iron.

Kumho has/had a similar tire. I'd be willing to bet the Nankang AR-1 is the same type of tire.

The Nitto's are a little over $600USD for a set. If I wasn't locked into the Nitto NT01 by the rules, I would give the Nankang's a try.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Do they make 13's? I'd like to try them back to back with the R888r which I like a lot, the R's are even better then the R888. Since the thread wear is almost the same, maybe the Nankang's feel about the same? I wonder how well they work in the rain? The R888r's do pretty well. Got first in RWD and only behind a few AWD cars, one of them on Hoosier rains, he was about 1/2 second ahead of me. Which impressed me.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Jeff, they do make 13's, and you have a choice!!
This was pulled from the Aussie Nankang site;
2018-11-14_20-43-52.jpg
2018-11-14_20-43-52.jpg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
2018-11-14_20-44-14.jpg
2018-11-14_20-44-14.jpg (186.99 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
That's what's really cool. I could run my 13" Libre's again!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Dave Patten wrote: 14 Nov 2018 10:27 I have no experience with these tires. I race locally in IT7 (for 1st gen Mazda RX7's in ITA spec). The Nitto NT01 is the spec tire. They have a 100 TW rating.

What always seems to be the case with most of these 100 +/- TW tires is they run for a full season w/o any drop in lap times. They are grippy enough to be fun, difficult to overheat and wear like iron.

Kumho has/had a similar tire. I'd be willing to bet the Nankang AR-1 is the same type of tire.

The Nitto's are a little over $600USD for a set. If I wasn't locked into the Nitto NT01 by the rules, I would give the Nankang's a try.
Dave I have used the NT01 and was not happy with them. The AR1 has a much stiffer sidewall much like the Yokohama A048. I found the NT01 had a much smaller window of pressure where it felt good and predictable. In my opinion the AR1 is extremely close in grip and feel to the A048 at around half the price.
icehouse wrote: 14 Nov 2018 12:40 Do they make 13's? I'd like to try them back to back with the R888r which I like a lot, the R's are even better then the R888. Since the thread wear is almost the same, maybe the Nankang's feel about the same? I wonder how well they work in the rain? The R888r's do pretty well. Got first in RWD and only behind a few AWD cars, one of them on Hoosier rains, he was about 1/2 second ahead of me. Which impressed me.

From what I have heard the R888 is very close in feel and grip to the NT01. I have no info on the R888r but from the reading I have done it sounds like it is also very close to the NT01 in feel and grip also. The AR1 sidewall is very very stiff. I have run them down to 22psi and they still feel sharp and direct with no wallowing. There is not a lot of sipes on the AR1 so standing water is not your friend. Wet or damp pavement is fine as long as you have some temp in them.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The R888 heated slower not working as well for autox and heat cycled way faster then the R888r. I am interested in trying them!! Have to see how my rear suspension install goes.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Just let me know. The Tires would not be coming in till spring so there would be no risk of them freezing.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

funwithmonkeys wrote: 15 Nov 2018 09:59 Just let me know. The Tires would not be coming in till spring so there would be no risk of them freezing.

Is freezing bad? Maybe that's why my original r888 lost there grip. I drove them in the snow! haha.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Can we confirm that 13's will be available in Canada. The website only goes to 14's. I also would be more interested if I could run my libres.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

I'm interested too, if I can get a set of 185 60 R13's.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah find out about the 13's for me too. The 235's.
dp61

Post by dp61 »

I'd be up for the 235 45 13 as well if they are available to be shipped to Canada!