front suspension...whaaaaaaat!!!

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
guzzirik

front suspension...whaaaaaaat!!!

Post by guzzirik »

I removed the front stuff this weekend. the drivers side was the one i'd looked at before so when I removed the pass. side I wasn't ready. I'll post pics when i find my camera because Iphone pics are too large. The drivers side has a standard 510 caliper w/tapered pads, a 5.5" od x9" spring, a 9" rotor and a 27mm spindle {inner brg dia} The pass side has a 4.5" spring 15" inches long, a 9.75" rotor and a 32mm spindle. I am assuming the drivers side is relatively stock. the pass. side has a larger overall caliper with what looks like rear pads.
{I used to work on cars]
Both spring perches have what appear to be factory welds, the drivers being three .5" welds and the pass. side being fully machine welded. There is no evidence of either perch being moved. Does any of this sound remotely familiar..Again I apologize for not having photos yet...I am working on it as you read...Thanks...Rick
Byron510

Re: front suspension...whaaaaaaat!!!

Post by Byron510 »

Photos will tell us way more. Sounds like the pass side strut may have been 280ZX - photos will confirm both.

But the fact that both were different, and had different springs...bet that drove a bit strange!

Look forward to the update...the New Year can only bring better news :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Is the passenger side rotor vented or solid like the drivers side? If vented, likely 280ZX, will have a more conventional caliper with single piston & slide bracket. If solid rotor, could be Z car (incorrect camber angle) or maybe S12 200SX (correct camber angle), both with conventional caliper with single piston & slide bracket.

If you pull a pad off passenger side, go to rockauto.com, look up the front pads for the above mentioned possibilities (or any other guesses!), go to "more info" on each listing, they should have a drawing/tracing of the pad to visually identify!

Good luck!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron do you still have a link to that strut information post you made? I changed computers and lost it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I do Mike, but I don’t think I can post a .xlsx file on the realm since we changed servers.

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
guzzirik

Post by guzzirik »

The rotor is solid and slightly larger than 510. I had 280ZX fronts on my '77 200SX race car and it's nothing like that..It's prob 200sx...Ive got a camera coming as I can't figure out Mac resizing from Iphone pics...Thanks
guzzirik

Post by guzzirik »

I believe it's a 240-260-280 after studying photos of same...
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron510 wrote: 02 Jan 2019 23:54 I do Mike, but I don’t think I can post a .xlsx file on the realm since we changed servers.

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.

Byron
Thank you
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs