Fred's 73 2dr 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
Fred_L-P

Re: Fred's 73 2dr 510

Post by Fred_L-P »

Progress is pretty slow, but it's moving forward!

Since I got my OEM 510 mounts and want to use them insted of the chinese crap. I decided to try using spacers as Pista_510 suggested. I estimated 1/2" on both sides would bring the brackets to the correct crossmember width. I just installed them today and it works great!

The engine now sits exactly where I want it to.

I also received my wheels and tires. I couldn't use the 13" that came with the car anymore and my other set was +40 offset and didn't hold air anymore... moving the car was a pain.

Enkei compe 15x7 +0 with 205/50R15 Falken Azenis RT615K Plus

Next I'd like to sort out the brake lines and fuel delivery system. My plan is to run the rear brake line, 3/8 feed and return lines inside along the passenger transmission tunnel. I might try the Aeromotive in tank conversion kit for a clean and silent setup.
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

Nice job with the spacers! Sorry I didn't get back to you with the pictures of one of my cars, however, yes, that is exactly what I used to do with installing an S13 SR20 onto 510 OE engine mounts and isolators and 1/2" (12-13 mm) was my spacer width too.

All the best with the project, looking forward to seeing more progress when you get a chance!
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Fred_L-P wrote: 08 Oct 2018 15:45 Progress is pretty slow, but it's moving forward!

Since I got my OEM 510 mounts and want to use them insted of the chinese crap. I decided to try using spacers as Pista_510 suggested. I estimated 1/2" on both sides would bring the brackets to the correct crossmember width. I just installed them today and it works great!

The engine now sits exactly where I want it to.
How did I not think of this while spending two days wrestling my KA around.....

Now I want to try this.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

demo243 wrote: 10 Oct 2018 17:16

Now I want to try this.
I've been trying to get the transmission and motor mount right since june, I know the feeling! :wink:
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Fred_L-P wrote: 11 Oct 2018 04:23
demo243 wrote: 10 Oct 2018 17:16

Now I want to try this.
I've been trying to get the transmission and motor mount right since june, I know the feeling! :wink:
Yea I still don't like my trans mount.... the T3 crossmember just isn't working for me...

Got it good enough that I can drive it but someday I'll get one custom made
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Yeah... I had to redrill offset holes for the transmission mount, extend by about 10mm the 4 slots and use 12mm of shims to get it right with the T3 crossmember. I'm a bit disappointed, it doesn't look clean at all.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I didn't have much time to work on the car since my last update, but I did manage to do a little shopping and gather the parts I need for the brake lines job. I decided to try the copper nickel lines. I got my fittings, tees and a 50' roll of brake line from the Stop Shop. But before doing the job I think I'll grab what I need for the fuel lines and do it at the same time because it's all going to run close to each other on the transmission tunnel. I want to be sure everything fits.

Where's the best place to mount the proportioning valve? This is not a track car, I don't think I'll be adjusting it on the go.
Also, with the rear discs conversion, I was thinking of adding a flex hose between the caliper and the trailing arm hard line to make the brake maintenance easier.

2 weeks ago I met with Fritz and Andrew to pick up my R160 stub axles and CV kit. I didn't have a chance yet to test fit them!
Great guys by the way! I had a good time and It's nice to know there are other 510 nerds not too far away.
Funny story, I left the box in the living room for about a week and my girlfriend asked me why. I told her it's because I liked looking at the parts because they are gorgeous. Of course I forgot to tell her she was... Long story short, she got mad and that's how she became jealous of car parts... :roll:

Now regarding the licence plate saga... I had already received my 510 plate as shown in a previous post, but it was my second choice. A couple weeks ago I received a letter telling me they changed the custom plate restrictions and that my first choice was now approved so I decided to go for it and swap them.

So far next weekend I'm completely free so I should be able to work on the project... Fingers crossed.
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Fred you are a true Car Guy .... and good luck with your wife LOL
See you next summer I hope :)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

andrew.lori wrote: 26 Nov 2018 16:32 Fred you are a true Car Guy .... and good luck with your wife LOL
Oh I'm lucky enough, I'll be fine :lol:
This is my basement. The 510 is all over the place.

andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Nice.... she must be a special woman with that stash in the basement.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I installed my CVs and Subaru stubs this morning. Everything fits great! Especially without an exhaust in the way.
I love that it's all black, it looks very clean and OEM.
The RH CV was hard to put in while the LH CV slipped in place like a charm. It's probably due to the learning curve, not the CV's fault.

While doing this I decided I'll delete the spare tire well to make more room for the exhaust and to be able to remove the diff without dropping the sub frame. Rust has already done most of the job anyway, I just need to finish it...

Full drop

Lowered

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I agree. Those look awesome!
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

I managed to work a bit on the car during the holidays.

It was my first time doing any kind of hard lines. I used copper-nickel brake and fuel lines from The Stop Shop as stated in earlier posts.
Very easy to straighten and flare, but after bending it once, there's no going back. The line gets hard, similar to aluminum.
I'm very happy with the results for a first experience.

I used the vice and hammer method to make straight lines from the rolls.

Here's an example with the 3/16 line.

Before

During

After

It didn't work as good with the 3/8 line, but IMHO, the result is decent.

I did not have the money to spend on a hydraulic flaring tool, so I bought the cheap manual one and practiced on small bits of tubing. The key is to take your time and it's fairly easy to get a clean and straight flare.

Learning the hard way to put the fittings on the line before flaring...

I used metal coat hangers to mock up the lines before bending the tubing.

Front is done

I haven't done the rear brake lines yet. I'll try to run it along the side of the transmission tunnel and put my proportioning valve right behind the passenger seat so it's accessible from the drivers seat, but hidden from the "cockpit", if that makes any sense :?

And the fuel lines

I'll put the fuel filter under the rear seat area so it is easily serviceable and go with a hose from there.

I just need to finish/flare the engine bay side.
Are there any oem clips for 3/8 lines I could use in the engine bay? I want something clean to hold the lines together at the end where it's visible on the firewall.

I'll try to finish this the next weekend and then I'll start with my fuel tank restoration/modification.
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Fred your lines look great nice work.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Nice work, good to see you used adel clamps! You should see what some chimps did when running a propane line on my son-in-laws trailer.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer