Moving Alternator to driver's side - Existing bracket?

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Moving Alternator to driver's side - Existing bracket?

Post by VelvetHammer »

If I'm ever going to supercharge this 2.2L I've got to move the alternator to the driver side to make room for SC and plumbing.

Anyone know of an existing mount I can buy?
Or am I going to hove to fabricate this too?
yenpit

Re: Moving Alternator to driver's side - Existing bracket?

Post by yenpit »

Likely fabricate, but maybe you can start with either an air pump bracket or a Z car AC bracket (the 510 AC brackets are kinda hard to find.........more Z's got AC than 510's!). Both are DRIVERS side of block. I do have a 510 flat steel crude welded factory OEM air pump bracket AND a ZX cast aluminum AC bracket. I will hold each up to a block to give an idea..........what engine.....2.2L L20B?

PM me your email or TEXT # for pics.......if pics would help!

TJ
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

Appreciated!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The AC mount is a HEAVY!!!! cast iron monster. Make your own for a simple alternator. An L20B air injection pump mount has to be lighter.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

datzenmike wrote: 29 Jan 2019 06:02 The AC mount is a HEAVY!!!! cast iron monster. Make your own for a simple alternator. An L20B air injection pump mount has to be lighter.
I hear ya, but the only fabrication equipment I have is a hand drill, hacksaw, and cheap 110v mig welder (I have a Tig but still learning on that). Neither the Mig nor Tig are powerful enough to get into thick metals on 110v. I might be able to get away with some thick-walled square stock, but still trying to envision how that would work.

I wish I had a decent metal band saw, belt sander, drill press, mill and lathe. Based on stuff I've read I might be able to get away with harbor freight for the band saw, but the other stuff not so much. Been looking on craigslist etc

220V is in my future.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I made brackets for under the distributor to hold a D21 power steering pump and an adjustment pulley as the pump was solidly mounted. All with a $75 POS drill press, bolts, nuts (no welder then) and some washers.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
VelvetHammer
Supporter

Post by VelvetHammer »

datzenmike wrote: 29 Jan 2019 19:29 I made brackets for under the distributor to hold a D21 power steering pump and an adjustment pulley as the pump was solidly mounted. All with a $75 POS drill press, bolts, nuts (no welder then) and some washers.

You're hired! :D

Alright then, I'll get off my ass and figure this out.